PDA

View Full Version : Non facelift grille update

roundyuk
Jan 26th, 2015, 10:58
I've had a little search (and read some threads) but I can't seem to find a definitive answer on options available to update the front grille on a non-face lift S40 (2005).

Any help..?

iainmd
Jan 26th, 2015, 12:22
What sort of "upgrade" options are you looking for? There's not a lot available. I didn't like the chrome surround to purchased the following:

http://www.carparts-tuning.co.uk/Sport-Grill/Sports-Grills/ABS-Sport-Grill-for-Volvo-S40-Typ-M-Yr-03-07-tuning.html

For £7.98 I couldn't go wrong really. Alternatively I'm sure dubstop imports do a black mesh grille but it's about £70. Either are cheap compared to the OEM Volvo grille at £180.

Failing that you're in updating the front end to 2007+ facelift territory which involves new bumper and lights as well.

Iain

Welton
Jan 26th, 2015, 13:01
£8.00 !!

What do you do about the 'Volvo' badge? or do you just have the plain black grille?

iainmd
Jan 26th, 2015, 13:24
Plain black grille, I prefer the de-badged look at the front. Cost me £12. It's got even cheaper since then ;-)

roundyuk
Jan 26th, 2015, 13:57
Ahh, i was thinking purely of the logo update, fancied the larger badge...or even the iron mark logo.

iainmd
Jan 26th, 2015, 14:18
Won't get that on a 2004-2007 front end grille. There are a few threads about it on this forum but basically you need a new front bumper, headlamps and grille from a 2007+ model. The grille shape changed after 2007 (it's a good bit larger) and the large ironmark logo grille was available from about 2010/2011 which means they are rarer than hen's teeth second hand as they stopped making the S40/V50 in 2012.

A new grille will set you back upwards of £180 and, although you may be able to source them second hand for a few hundred, the lights and bumper will cost you a good four figure sum with painting and fitting.

Not a simple and cheap exercise sadly.

Olliec
Jan 27th, 2015, 11:14
Are the quality of the grille any good or is it a case of you get what you pay for?.. Because that is a crazy price!

iainmd
Jan 27th, 2015, 14:04
I'm pleased with it. IMO it looks good on the car. The quality is fine and the only thing I had to do was warm and bend the retaining clips out a little to achieve a tighter fit into the bumper. Once that was done it was all hunky dory.

I'll post a picture or two when I can but the car's filthy at the moment. I'm sue FK used to sell these for £40-£50 originally and they've gradually dropped over the last couple of years. I'm guessing they are just trying to clear excess stock now hence the price but for me its been a worthwhile purchase.

Olliec
Jan 27th, 2015, 19:19
For that money I will go for it.. Cheers for the reply fella.