PDA

View Full Version : v50 diesel

ELIMINATOR1
Jan 29th, 2015, 15:56
How many miles does it take for yours to reach full operating temperature on the water gauge? Mine is about 8 miles.

Sasha94
Jan 29th, 2015, 16:00
And mine, sometimes its less, Volvo's in my experience warm up their water very quickly, my old C70 was like that as is my C30 :)

My 2.0d 407sw wasn't as fast though even though it's the same engine so it must be a Volvo thing haha

ELIMINATOR1
Jan 29th, 2015, 19:05
My old Clio warmed up much faster. There again, it's good in a way. My mechanical sympathy waits till the engine is at operating temperature. I have an air cooled bike, with an oil temperature gauge, that takes a little less.

used to drive a woks pool car, a Peugeot diesel. It had an oil temperature & water temperature gauge, water was at normal operating temperature, the oil took longer to warm up.

Sasha94
Jan 29th, 2015, 19:10
The lack of an oil temperature gauge on the Volvo really does my nut it, was really helpful on both Peugeots haha

Proghound
Jan 30th, 2015, 14:40
Know what you mean, SWMBO's Yaris diesel has no temp gauge just a 'cold engine' indicator. I feel bad about making it get & hold 3rd up the local hills until I've been far enough to have to turn the heater down from full. Is that better for it than revving higher in 2nd?

In the C70 on my way to work, it's 4 miles to the dual carriageway, by which time it's showing about half-way warm on the temp gauge in the current conditions. It then has to take 2500revs in 3rd and 4th up a gradient, in order to merge from a short slip road without causing undue danger. The engine as a whole has stopped being agricultural by then, but I hope that's OK for the turbo before it's fully warmed up.

I also wish I had a decent alternative to the same 2500 gently in 1st from stone cold before changing into 2nd, when turning out of the end of our road - it's a steep uphill. Staying in 1st at 1500 or so until the change up was easier would cause a queue behind me quite quickly.