PDA

View Full Version : V50 drop links causing headlight problems??

Olliec
Jan 31st, 2015, 22:34
Evening all.. I was at a pals garage today trying to get my headlights adjusted.. I haven't got the adjustment wheel on dash and the adjustment on the headlight unit is doing nothing.. My pal got my car on the ramp and said the drop links need changing and that could be affecting the headlights??? Any ideas/replies would be much appreciated.

GrahamBrown1
Jan 31st, 2015, 22:50
Drop links, meaning the anti roll bar links? There the same but how the hell can these effect headlamp adjustment!! There just a stabiliser rod with two ball joints, when there worn out they rattle. They don't effect ride height Ect.

cheshired5
Jan 31st, 2015, 23:05
Change your pal..........or stay pals but just don't let him work on your car.

Olliec
Jan 31st, 2015, 23:07
Rear drop links.. They have a part near them that when the back of the car is loaded it adjusts the headlights down! Apparently

cheshired5
Jan 31st, 2015, 23:10
A drop link is a solid bar with two ball joints at either end and it doesn't move.
How can this create your issue?

Olliec
Jan 31st, 2015, 23:13
Because it has a part on the bar that adjusts the headlight when you put weight in the back of the car.

cheshired5
Jan 31st, 2015, 23:15
Because it has a part on the bar that adjusts the headlight when you put weight in the back of the car.

Your drop link has an electrical connection to the headlight motor?

Olliec
Feb 1st, 2015, 08:13
Your drop link has an electrical connection to the headlight motor?

No mate.. The part I was talking about is the auto leveling sensor (rear)... Wich is right next to the drivers side rear drop link.

Olliec
Feb 1st, 2015, 09:21
So basically.. I don't think I explained this very well! My headlights don't automatically adjust regardless of how much weight is in the boot and my mate Said the rear drop links Being so badly worn MIGHT affect the auto leveling sensor thingy! Just wondered if anyone else has had a issue with the headlights not automatically adjusting... Basically allways pointing lower down as if there was weight in the boot!

cheshired5
Feb 1st, 2015, 14:35
If your drop links need changing, then change them regardless because they're a very important part of your car's suspension and stability plus they're an mot fail if you have excessive play or split balljoint boots.
IF new droplinks solve your headlamp problem (which I doubt) then great otherwise you'll have to look elsewhere for the cause.

Welton
Feb 2nd, 2015, 08:08
I can see what your pal is getting at here; your car has factory HID's and the auto leveling sensor is strapped to the rear suspension and measures changes in ride height and adjusts the headlamp aim to suit. It sounds like the sensor is goosed and it defaults to the lowest setting for safety.

It's plausible to connect the sensor failure to a drop link in that perhaps the sensor has been shaken to pieces but I'm not familiar with the location of it so I don't know.

If it was me I'd try a new sensor and if you do have worn drop links then get them changed in the near future.

pgm
Feb 2nd, 2015, 09:05
There are two sensors. One on the rear and one on the front. They are Volvo only parts last time I checked. I have not known the sensor itself fail however the links do break. If you disconnect the link and manually move the sensor your lights should move.remember to check both sensors. Also if the sensor is faulty there will be a code that can be read with Vida.

Paul

Olliec
Feb 2nd, 2015, 17:29
Thank you both for the sensible replys! Looks like it might be the sensor my mate did exactly what you said and moved it manually and nothing happend just order the part from volvo £118+vat.. Hopefully one day I will be able to see where I'm going!!

cheshired5
Feb 2nd, 2015, 17:46
Thank you both for the sensible replys!

Are you saying my advice to replace worn droplinks wasn't sensible?
If they do cause this headlamp adjustment failure and you don't replace the links, won't your new sensor be shaken to destruction also?

Olliec
Feb 2nd, 2015, 17:58
Are you saying my advice to replace worn droplinks wasn't sensible?
If they do cause this headlamp adjustment failure and you don't replace the links, won't your new sensor be shaken to destruction also?

Of course that is sensible advice. But I personally don't think your other comments were to helpfull/sensible, didn't think it would cause any offence on a forum of made up of grown men/women. Sorry pal

cheshired5
Feb 2nd, 2015, 18:08
Of course that is sensible advice. But I personally don't think your other comments were to helpfull/sensible, didn't think it would cause any offence on a forum of made up of grown men/women. Sorry pal

Your comment didn't cause offence, I was simply asking a question.
Likewise, my comment about changing your friend (followed by sound advice) shouldn't cause any chippyness.:thumbs_up:

Olliec
Feb 2nd, 2015, 18:26
No chippyness here fella��