PDA

View Full Version : Possible cause of an increasingly harsh ride?

Welton
Feb 2nd, 2015, 08:18
Recently my rear passengers commented on how 'bouncy' it was in the back of my S40 and sure enough I've started to be more aware of the car being bouncy.

I'm thinking that the dampers are worn out (78K miles). I have the 'dynamic' chassis with lowered springs and Gas? dampers. Thinking that the dampers are not helping and the car is bouncing on the hard springs.

The ride is not like an old comedy Cadillac but more like a slammed Corsa and kinda 'choppy' with little suspension travel.

Any thoughts?

dme123
Feb 2nd, 2015, 17:52
Sounds like shagged dampers to me. Have you tried the old bounce test on each corner to see how long it wobbles for? 78k is not a great life for modern dampers on a relatively light car - lots of crap roads around your way?

I usually notice the car becoming unsettled and jittery at 60MPH+ when the dampers are shot. Very unpleasant to drive.

Welton
Feb 3rd, 2015, 07:46
Cheers, it's quite difficult to push down on the sussy as the springs are firm I will give it another go though.

I think it's the dampers too, at speed it feels a bit 'wandery' and is affected by side winds very easily. I was thinking the dampers aren't holding onto the compression and rebound so I'm literally bouncing on the springs.

DannyG
Feb 3rd, 2015, 15:51
I have the exact same symptoms... wandering on motorways and high winds affect the car. Do you also get a clunk/thud from the rear when going over speed bumps, at normal speed?

cheshired5
Feb 3rd, 2015, 16:15
Another sign of failed shocks is uneven tyre wear as they struggle to maintain permanent contact with the road.
If it is shocks, don't leave it or the excessive movement could snap a spring and shred a tyre.
You could also have other expensive components with reduced protection from the lack of damping.

cheshired5
Feb 3rd, 2015, 16:16
I have the exact same symptoms... wandering on motorways and high winds affect the car. Do you also get a clunk/thud from the rear when going over speed bumps, at normal speed?

This could be as simple as a failing rear droplink/anti roll bar link.

DannyG
Feb 3rd, 2015, 16:32
Yeah, that was my initial thought... just wondered with the other symptoms I'm having whether it was damper related. As it isn't when the back wheels hit the bump, it's when they come off and the back end drops back down.

I'm also getting uneven tyre wear!

Welton
Feb 4th, 2015, 06:55
I get some mechanical noise from the rear when going over rough roads, I guess if the dampers are weak then all the other components will take harsher movements.

I think I'll visit my mechanic, get it up on the ramps and give everything a good going over with a pry bar, I even think my front wishbones have gone (again) the flipping suspension on my S40 has been a continuous problem since I had the car; spoils an otherwise excellent car.

Guru
Feb 4th, 2015, 09:19
The cold weather btw. also exacerbates the harshness of the ride by stiffening up suspension components, especially oil dampers and rubber bushings and ball and socket joints ..

I've noticed that after a night shift at work, during which the car is parked outside in sub zero temps, the ride back home in the morning can be harsh, noisy and jumpy, whereas when I drive from home out of my +8c heated garage then things are much smoother and quieter.

The weather may have no affect on thumps and clunks, if those are present then something has worn out, could be a drop link, a bushing or a ball and sockets joint... as for dampers, if yours are still the hydraulic oil ones, and not gas charged ones, then I'd wait for the weather to warm up first or for them to loosen up first during a longer drive, before judging their efficacy.

Welton
Feb 4th, 2015, 10:19
Good point Guru! I hadn't thought of that and we've barely seen temps of over +4 deg C for a week or so.

How can I find out if I've got Gas or Oil dampers? I assumed they'd be Gas but then I guess they don't last forever either. I can't see any fluid leakage.

There's definitely a drop link going at the front as I've got that tell-tale mechanical rattle when the suspension is relaxed.

Guru
Feb 5th, 2015, 08:55
If they are the stock SACHS dampers from 2005 then they'll be oil ones I believe.. and leaking fluid is not the only sign of them going corrupt, for example inner valves can ware out and lose potency, in which case there are no leakages.

These are good replacement front droplinks (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEYLE-Front-Left-Stabiliser-anti-roll-bar-DROP-LINK-ROD-Part-No-716-060-0014-HD-/291252689291?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43d003598b)