PDA

View Full Version : Broken Volvo Key

scruffbag
Feb 2nd, 2015, 11:32
Hi I wonder if anyone can help I have a Volvo V50 05 Plate, My key has split so it is now very fragile to use and at any time it could break off in the ignition.
I went to my local Volvo dealer who advised me to get the casing off Ebay of which I did, my husband changed the bits inside into the new key. I can now unlock my car with the new Fob, but I can't start the engine, my garage is telling me I should of been given a code with the key when I bought it. But am I right in thinking each car has its own individual number? if I am correct where does one obtain this code. Any help would be very gratefully received. My garage now think I should send the fob back, very confused.
Thank you

pgm
Feb 2nd, 2015, 13:00
I am a little confused here. Is it just the casing you have changed? In which case the key should work. If you have a new key it needs a code to allow it to be reprogrammed to your car and for your car to programmed to accept that key.

Paul

reggit
Feb 2nd, 2015, 15:21
It sounds like the transponder chip is still in the old key. Are you getting the message 'Start Prevented - see manual' or similar wording on the display?

I am confused though as just swapping the casing shouldn't have any effect on this.

savabill
Feb 2nd, 2015, 15:45
Try holding your old case next to your new one when you try to start your car. It could be the chip in your old case needs moving to your new one.

oldgreybloke
Feb 3rd, 2015, 20:08
if the chip is still in the old key, removal must be carried out with the utmost care as if it is damaged it may/will not function and that will be very expensive as a new key will be needed, you guessed it, from Volvo. Slow and careful scraping away of the glue with a pin or similar should do it.