PDA

View Full Version : V50 General : - 2005 1.8 - Won't drive above 4000 rpm

GRynners
Feb 2nd, 2015, 20:51
Just had the "oh, by the way, the cars not been driving properly for the last couple of weeks" statement from my wife...

Taken it for a quick run out, starts ok , seems to idle fairly normally, no faults showing on the dash. But when it gets to an incline or you put your foot down, the car struggles to get to 4,000 rpm in all gears and then won't go any higher. 'Skin' and 'rice pudding' spring to mind...

I've disconnected what I believe to be the MAF sensor (in front of the air intake pipe and opposite the rubber air box bracket). I restarted and got the downgrade mode message. Reconnected and back to where we were.

I've tried to have a sift round and the MAF and throttle body housing seem to be my main starting points. But I couldn't find any other posts with the same symptoms. Has had new plugs and air filter recently, but don't think it's related to this.

Any pointers appreciated!

jeffmasson
Feb 3rd, 2015, 17:12
Is this only under load? Or if you rev the car out of gear dose is still labour?

If both I would have a look a the throttle body may need cleaning or time for a new one.

GRynners
Feb 5th, 2015, 13:24
Thanks for reply. Seems to be under load as car revs freely when stationary. Am told it has gotten worse over last couple of days so wife has taken into local garage. Unfortunately, their ex-Volvo tech has left, so hope the replacement can diagnose accurately, quickly and cheaply!

andylinney
Feb 5th, 2015, 14:29
Thanks for reply. Seems to be under load as car revs freely when stationary. Am told it has gotten worse over last couple of days so wife has taken into local garage. Unfortunately, their ex-Volvo tech has left, so hope the replacement can diagnose accurately, quickly and cheaply!

There's an ex-volvo chap near me in Anglesey if you don't mind the run over the bridge. He's in Gwalchmai on the a5 called Horseshoe Garage.

http://www.bing.com/local?lid=YN1059x247346252&id=YN1059x247346252&q=Horseshoe+Garage+Holyhead+Gwynedd