PDA

View Full Version : Thinking for selling my V70 D5 for a V50 D5....

craigblues
Feb 4th, 2015, 19:05
Thinking for selling my V70 D5 for a V50 D5....

As it says in the title really, unsure if its the right decision or not. Want to get a V50 with lower mileage and my thoughts were as its slightly lighter but same engine I would get better MPG and also pick up speed quicker.

All thoughts welcomed...

marc
Feb 4th, 2015, 23:01
Personally, I really like the styling of the V50, more so than the V70. I also agree with you that the performance will be a little better and you should also have better mpg. I'd say go for it....but then It Is your money.

Welton
Feb 5th, 2015, 07:51
I've had my S40 for 6 years and taken it from 24K to 78K miles. I honestly wouldn't recommend these models due to the poor suspension it is not up to the job and seems to need constant attention. Spoils an otherwise very good car and they do not drive 'right' until the sussy is spot-on.

If you buy one with over 50K miles be prepared to spend money on the suspension and also a set of tyres if the alignment has been out. I don't think you'll gain much by swapping cars if you're otherwise fairly happy with the V70? better the devil you know and all that......

Snoodini
Feb 5th, 2015, 08:26
I agree with welton. I have an S40 and am frequently in a V70 also, The suspension in the V70 feels much more refined and is generally a much more pleasant experience. If cost awareness is your thing though then perhaps it is better for you.

dme123
Feb 5th, 2015, 15:05
I wouldn't. The V70 is markedly and obviously superior to drive and be in, and also appears to be a lot more robust and reliable. I have a C70 D5 manual (same platform as V50) and it's always a revelation how nice my V70s are to drive when I haven't been in them for a while. If yours is a 2007 onwards current shape V70 it is *miles* nicer inside and to drive than an V50.

I actually find it such a contrast I'm considering getting rid of the C70 and getting an S80 to use as my daily. If your V70 D5 is later than 2005 and an auto then it has the 6 speed automatic gearbox while the V50 D5 only ever came with the 5 speeder, so the economy and performance of the V50 will be a fair bit worse. I bet the weight difference is nothing worth worrying about either.

Go try a V50 and see what you think. Also remember there is almost always a cost of change with a car, faults that will need fixing etc.

craigblues
Feb 6th, 2015, 19:35
Hmmm...

Well I have the V70 D5 (57 plate) and an S40 2.0D.

The S40 has been nothing but a joy! no problems at all except an alternator but was covered by AA P+L.

V70 had a few issues but I did buy it with 130k on. Only usual things, such as aircon pump ceased. Had a new steering rack under volvo recalls, throttle bottle (replaced by AA).

Unsure what to do really...

GrahamBrown1
Feb 6th, 2015, 22:49
Keep your v70!

850Chris
Feb 7th, 2015, 10:59
Depends what you're using the car for. Having previously owned a Ph2 V70, I agree that the V70 is a much more refined and comfortable car but this comes at the expense of it being a bit of a barge when the going gets twisty. In contrast, the V50 is a joy to thread along a twisty stretch of road (and this applies even before the suspension mods I've had done). Major downside of V50 is that the boot is fairly small after the cave that is the V70 - finding this an issue now I have young family!

Believe D5 in the V50 is also only 175bhp whereas the Ph2 V70 could have either the 163 or 180 versions. Latest V70 D5 now on 215 I believe.

fenton_jd
Feb 7th, 2015, 21:20
The S60/V70 feels a superior car.. more "plush".

If you're dead set on the V50, here's what I thought:

Positives of S40/V50

- Better turning circle
- More room in the back
- Better looking than S60/V70
- Lighter
- Slightly easier to drive

Negatives

- Crap headlights
- Interior too symmetrical compared to S60/V70
- Rear wheel camber issues