PDA

View Full Version : C30 Engine : - 1.6D Engine Oil on Air Filter

cranem
Feb 7th, 2015, 16:51
Hi Guys,

Just been cleaning out my air filter on the C30 (1.6D), noticed there is some engine oil soaked into the filter and around the mouth of the filter attachment..

Is that normal? Should I be concerned?

The air filter isn't exactly a reassuring fit! It's an OEM filter..

Cheers!

torroa
Feb 7th, 2015, 22:06
The oil is probably coming from the crankcase breather. Some oil in the pipe and air filter is normal. The biggest concern should be if the MAF is covered in oil as well. Probably a good idea to clean the MAF every 12k miles

Edit. There seems to be an updated air breather pipe for the Ford Focus/C-max 1.6 TDCI with part # 3M51-9A673-MG with a different size to limit the oil back spray. Not sure if Volvo has a bulletin about this.

cranem
Feb 7th, 2015, 23:05
The oil is definitely coming from the inlet from the filter to the head.. Guessing the MAF sits just inside this pipe?

I'm guessing volvo are aware of the issue.. May mention it next time the cars in.

In the mean time I guess it's just keep the MAF clean? It's not pouring out but it's enough to soak 2-3 'fins' of the filter.. Can't help but think it's partly down to the awful fitment of the filter?

tomweston
Feb 8th, 2015, 09:55
My filter has oil on it along the bottom three filter fins. It is a volvo filter and fits very well, there is a locating pin on the closed end which fits into a slot at the bottom of the filter housing. Fit open end first and then push the closed end of the filter down, it makes a good tight fit.

cranem
Feb 8th, 2015, 10:38
I've got got the anti-rotation pin in the correct position and the filter sits into the grove pretty well. When you look at the attachment end the top looks pretty good but around the bottom it doesn't look as home as the top. It's due a service in 1000 miles so when it's changed I'll have a look to see whether the new part fits better!

torroa
Feb 14th, 2015, 20:18
I changed the hose today with a new one from eBay. The new one I got was slightly different from the old one. The old hose had a snapped clip at the PCV breather and the o-ring did not seal properly either.

After a bit of study on Peugeot and Ford forums, it seems that the positive crankcase breather system will throw more oil if there is a problem with the hose connecting to the air filter. I found a simple picture explaining the differences. The next step would be to install an oil catch can to possible prevent EGR problems and clogged DPF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-66MbTrhZZig/Tj_154J-VYI/AAAAAAAAAIk/cGKjiq5fWaA/s1600/hose.jpg

cranem
Feb 18th, 2015, 17:23
Ah that's interesting, let us know how you get on. Mines going into volvo next week for a service so I might qizz them about it and see how that goes. I guessing it's a ford mod that never made it through to volvo as its ancillary..

cranem
Feb 27th, 2015, 23:28
Spoke with volvo today. They said they believe it's the rocker cover gasket assembly with the hose attached.. Which I guess will come in with the new hose shown above.. Will have to see if it works out!

torroa
Feb 28th, 2015, 00:37
OK, so they are basically replacing the whole cover, including the ventilation valve. Seems like a good idea as the spring valve probably wears out, and the cover gasket on those PSA engines seems to be known for leaking.

I was thinking about replacing that cover myself this summer. Including cleaning the oil pump gauze and replacing, or remove the gauze in the turbos oil feed pipe.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MjAwWDMyOA==/z/xngAAOSwAL9UbPiv/$_1.JPG

cranem
Feb 28th, 2015, 13:41
Yeah that's it exactly! They said the valve in there can let oil up to s point but then it gets caught in a collection chamber and gets burnt through the engine if this ever happens.. In my current case, it's rising past this catchment point resulting in the oil making it into the filter. Sounds like this assembly should fix the issue, but I'll monitor it in any case!

tomweston
Mar 2nd, 2015, 09:59
Interestingly I removed the pipe that fits between the air filter, turbo and oil separator from my 2010 S40 1.6D. The pipe is the modified version as shown in the message above. I had to remove with the plastic portion that contains the MAF because there was other way of disconnecting it that I could see.
The rubber tube had small traces of oil in it, the maff had a slight oil film on it, a small amount of oil could be seen when looking into the outlet of the oil separator (part on top of the engine with the oil filler cap at the other end) and the soft tube that connects to the turbo had a small split (caused by previous mechanic at Halfords I assume) in it under the fixing clip. I was unable to repair the split due to type of material the pipe is made of. I assume this is why there is a slight oil film around that area of the engine and pipes. I cleaned the oil film off the pipes, refitted all parts, pushed the pipe onto the turbo and tightened the clamp up, much better fit with no oil film. Anybody know how much a replacement pipe is?

cranem
Mar 2nd, 2015, 19:06
So they clearly made the change on the facelift model.. Mines an 59 pre facelift!
Depends where you get the hose from.. I'm pretty confident volvo will tell you to change the lot as it's an assembly.. But could be the first port of call.. I never have much luck with phoning and asking these sorts of questions.. Find its usually better to take the car down there so there's no confusion!

Was supposed to collect my car today after its service and having this part replaced.. Got to the dealer started the car, 'ABS / anti-skid service required' - looks like volvo have an issue to sort.. No errors when the car went in..

torroa
Mar 2nd, 2015, 19:16
The Volvo dealer probably wants £90 for part no# 30680774, the ford dealer around £80 for part no# 3M519A673MG, and on eBay you can get one for as low as £25...not sure about the quality differences.

I replaced mine with one from eBay, but I have not been driven far enough yet to check if it made any differences. The next step would be to replace the rocker cover gasket, or the rocker cover itself, but if there is a known problems with that part, it is likely that it would be more common to find it on places like eBay. The air hose is sold by quite a few, and just that indicates that there is a widespread problem with it.

I was thinking about getting an oil catch can, but they are not recommended in cold areas as the watery content turns to ice blocking the ventilation system, and might cause problems elsewhere.

cranem
Mar 26th, 2015, 22:57
Instead of a catch can, couldn't you install a breather filter to let the blow-by gas out with the oily mist captured on the filter?

torroa
May 16th, 2015, 08:14
The breather pipe on my 1.6d had a snapped plastic part at the engine side and combined with a non sealing O-ring, it must have been dropping oil long before I got the car last summer.

I changed the pipe and the rocker cover gasket earlier this spring, but still I could see a drop of oil on my pavement every now-and-then. I have scratched my head trying to figure out where it came from, but unable to do so until now. After I drained the fuel filter, it seemed to do so more frequently. I probably spilled a lot of diesel in the process. I removed the battery and the plastic battery housing to have a better look behind the engine, and then I spotted two large grooves just under the fuel filter. Both were filled with oil and diesel and I drained/wiped out at least two "shot glasses" amount of oil and diesel. The oil had been dripping/spilling slowly from the groves that the breather pipe had filled over the years. Worth to have a look if your 1.6d leave a few mysterious oil stains once in a while.

Another thing I have discovered with the 1.6d is that the clamping bolts on the injectors seems to get loose by themselves. A few of the 8 bolts were just finger tight when I torqued them up to 4NM + 65 degrees.

cranem
Jul 19th, 2015, 11:33
So after having the rocker cover changed.. Thought I'd check if the oil issue had been cleared as I've done about 8k since then.. Turns out oil is still making it back to the filter! Any further ideas?