PDA

View Full Version : General: - C70 Front Wishbone Bushes

iantowil
Feb 7th, 2015, 19:10
I've just had an MOT with my 2008 C70 D5 failing on the front wishbone bushes, in particular the rear bush on both sides. Is it easier to buy the whole new wishbone, or go for changing just the bushes? I'm tempted to change the wishbone and be done with it - I assume changing the wishbone is also a lot easier than pressing bushes off and on. Any advice welcome.

Welton
Feb 8th, 2015, 14:58
The bush is oil-filled and is not available on its own. You'd have to convert to poly bushes if you wanted to retain the lower arms.

Most people just change the whole arm as you have to dismantle everything anyway.

There's two ball joint sizes Volvo used and you need to specify which one, it should be either 18mm or 21mm (mine were 18mm on my S40).

oragex
Feb 8th, 2015, 16:25
Only advice on this specific part, don't go with cheap aftermarket parts, because those bushes are under high stress and most aftermarket parts seem not to be built to the right specs. Either Lamforder/Boge or original Volvo parts for this specific item.

iantowil
Feb 8th, 2015, 22:35
Thanks for the advice gents. On the removal and fitting, it seems one bolt for the front bush, two bolts for the rear bush holder, and one more for the ball joint. Anything I need to be aware of? It seems pretty straight forward.

cheshired5
Feb 8th, 2015, 23:46
I made a how-to video when I replaced my wishbones.
Different car obviously but I've found my method has worked well on a few cars now so if you've never done one before, you may find some of it useful
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=210593

iantowil
Feb 9th, 2015, 22:48
Haven't watched it yet but that's excellent thanks.

One fly in the ointment could be the way the bi-xenon levelling mechanism is attached to the right hand wishbone - apparently riveted with a special tool. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Becks
Feb 10th, 2015, 20:00
The two bolts for the rear bush are stretch bolts and should be replaced.

I recently did this job myself. The hardest part was getting the front bolt to line up to start on the thread. The rest was pretty straight forward.
I looked bat aftermarket options, but plumped for genuine - bought from FRF with forum discount.

I will try to find the torque settings for you.

Becks
Feb 10th, 2015, 20:04
Here you go

Look at last post for torque settings taken from VIDA

iantowil
Feb 10th, 2015, 20:14
Thanks, excellent. I ordered with FRF today after doing the same. Was there a link to the torque settings? I can't see it.

iantowil
Feb 10th, 2015, 21:02
Just one other thing. Can you remember the spanner size required for the ball joint nut. 19mm is nowhere near.

Becks
Feb 10th, 2015, 21:57
Thanks, excellent. I ordered with FRF today after doing the same. Was there a link to the torque settings? I can't see it.

Oops !!!!

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=215151

Becks
Feb 10th, 2015, 22:00
Just one other thing. Can you remember the spanner size required for the ball joint nut. 19mm is nowhere near.

I think it was 21mm, can't really remember. You might also need an Allen key to fit into the top of the ball joint when re-assembling. There's not a lot of clearance so I ended up cutting one down

iantowil
Feb 10th, 2015, 23:14
Much appreciated, thanks.

brikas
Feb 12th, 2015, 10:11
Recently passed MOT for my S40 with advisory: Front (n/s and o/s rear bushes) Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.

Is this a same part or something different?

cheshired5
Feb 12th, 2015, 13:32
Recently passed MOT for my S40 with advisory: Front (n/s and o/s rear bushes) Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.

Is this a same part or something different?

It's the same part.

iantowil
Feb 15th, 2015, 11:42
Something that may help someone else. The ball joints on my C70 are 21mm. I've tried 2 factors and Halfords, and can't get a ball joint splitter that has big enough jaws to fit. Now ordered from Ebay.