PDA

View Full Version : Rough idle when cold!!

Olliec
Feb 7th, 2015, 20:15
I appreciate these cold mornings aren't helping but recently every morning I start my car it sounds as rough as a bag of nails! It's like a slapping/ticking noise that gets quicker as the revs build up It goes away after 10-15 mins of driving but it doesn't sound pretty... Any ideas??

cheshired5
Feb 7th, 2015, 20:29
If your cars have them, alternator clutch pulley seizing.

Olliec
Feb 7th, 2015, 20:36
It's v50 2.0d.. Probably helps lol

Guru
Feb 7th, 2015, 21:28
Is your engine oil up to specs?

Minimum: 5W30 A1/B1
Optimal: 0W30 A5/B5

And when was it last changed along with the filter?

Olliec
Feb 7th, 2015, 21:49
It's shell 5w30 and was changed with new filter about 3 weeks ago

Tony500
Feb 9th, 2015, 14:11
I had the same fault no matter the weather. Turns out my alt shaft had bent? for some reason causing the tensioner to bounce a little. I replaced with a recon alt... Now its smooth.

Try taking your belt off and see if the noise is there still or not.

AndyMcc
Feb 9th, 2015, 18:51
I appreciate these cold mornings aren't helping but recently every morning I start my car it sounds as rough as a bag of nails! It's like a slapping/ticking noise that gets quicker as the revs build up It goes away after 10-15 mins of driving but it doesn't sound pretty... Any ideas??

If your talking about that tapping / rattle / ticking horrible noise when you start the 2.0D from very cold then don't worry. The lump, whilst reliable and good for many miles, is often called a tractor engine.

Andy

Olliec
Feb 9th, 2015, 19:10
I had the same fault no matter the weather. Turns out my alt shaft had bent? for some reason causing the tensioner to bounce a little. I replaced with a recon alt... Now its smooth.

Try taking your belt off and see if the noise is there still or not.

Had a new alternator fitted about 5 months ago so I do hope it's not that.. It's in for a mot in the morning and it's sat on there forecourt over night have asked them to have listen out for it!! Will keep you posted

Olliec
Feb 9th, 2015, 19:22
If your talking about that tapping / rattle / ticking horrible noise when you start the 2.0D from very cold then don't worry. The lump, whilst reliable and good for many miles, is often called a tractor engine.

Andy

Lol.. Unfortunately it sounds worse than normal.