PDA

View Full Version : My first volvo

Smokeyjohnson
Feb 11th, 2015, 18:49
Hi I've just brought a 2005 volvo s40d sport very pleased with it never owned a volvo before what should I look out for also the car is black with medusa alloys wich I'm having refurbished not sure on colour was think dark gloss bronze or anthracite any suggestions don't want it to look Chavy

Scouseladchris
Feb 12th, 2015, 00:02
New to a Volvo myself in December I have an 2008 s40 se sport re design 2.0l d in black not to sure on problems but hint of advice don't paint your grille black looks tacky person before I had it did looks rubbish haha also don't paint alloys look like a chav haha keep em chrome looks better I'd say tint rear windows tho great look

Smokeyjohnson
Feb 12th, 2015, 09:28
Cheers mate yeah got it booked in for window tint defiantly not painting grill have seen some nice badge less ones nocking about tho

Sasha94
Feb 12th, 2015, 10:38
Window tint is a must, my rears are 90% limo tints, don't go for mirror tints whatever you do!

Here's mine

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx148/Sylvester1994/IMG_1420_zpsf172d69f.jpg (http://s750.photobucket.com/user/Sylvester1994/media/IMG_1420_zpsf172d69f.jpg.html)

I love the look!

My wheels are going dark grey very soon I hope as well! Good luck with your purchase, I love my S40 :)

brikas
Feb 12th, 2015, 10:51
Looks good, probably have to tint my windows too :) Should I inform insurance for that?

iainmd
Feb 12th, 2015, 11:48
Yep. They count that as a modification.

Smokeyjohnson
Feb 12th, 2015, 12:32
Very nice I was thinking dark grey on my medusa alloys need to be gloss finish tho I think not to keen on Matt finish does any one have a problem with engaging reverse it seems very stiff all the other gears are fine nice and smooth

Sasha94
Feb 12th, 2015, 15:27
Looks good, probably have to tint my windows too :) Should I inform insurance for that?

I let mine (Elephant/Admiral/Diamond, all EUI so same people!) know, didn't affect my premium.

Yep. They count that as a modification.

They do indeed, though I believe it was a factory option so the next owner of my car could if not informed (or chose to ignore!) assume they have always been there and not bother; so if they made a claim, the insurance company don't pay out due the undeclared mod and they might claim they didn't know. I have the receipt for my tints in the history folder to go with the car and would make anyone aware of the mod in the sale advert. I'll also be declaring the colour change on my alloys even though they are the standard alloys, it's not a factory finish.

Very nice I was thinking dark grey on my medusa alloys need to be gloss finish tho I think not to keen on Matt finish does any one have a problem with engaging reverse it seems very stiff all the other gears are fine nice and smooth

I would go gloss dark grey; always looks the biz on a black car or shadow chrome :) Mine will be gloss dark grey, BMW A36 Titanium Grey actually.

My reverse is fine most days but it can be a little difficult to engage if you don't pay attention. It annoys me that you just push the lever over; why is there no mechanism to stop you getting reverse instead of first like other manufacturers? Gets me every time haha

Smokeyjohnson
Feb 12th, 2015, 15:35
Yeah should be lift up really but u couldn't accidentally get mine at the moment it's so stiff it's like a work out getting in i have read the battery cable can get stuck in the linkage under the tray so am goin to look at that first then gear bushes if that don't work