PDA

View Full Version : Help with Start/Stop function needed

darrenawalker
Feb 16th, 2015, 18:46
Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2012 Volvo V50 Estate 1.6D Drive SE. After driving it for a couple of days and trying the stop/start feature, I discovered it wasn't working. I spoke to a Volvo dealership and they told me to restart the battery circuit by disconnecting the two wires attached to the negative terminal of the car battery for a couple of minutes and then reconnecting. Then I drove the car to bring the engine up to temperature and then tested the start/stop. To my delight, it worked! HOWEVER, now I have discovered that I cannot deactivate the stop/start. When I press the DrivE button, it remains illuminated. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be able to turn this off before the engine is warmed up?

I hope someone can help....

steV50
Feb 16th, 2015, 20:36
That doesn't sound right, you should be able to press the DRIVe button and turn off the stop/start function at any time and a message comes up on the dashboard display to the effect that the stop/start is off. Provided that you haven't switched off the engine you can reactivate the stop/start by pressing the DRIVe button again and a further message is displayed that the stop/start is on.
If you have only just bought the car I should speak to the dealer about it.

darrenawalker
Feb 17th, 2015, 08:42
As people have pointed out to me, including a Volvo mechanic, this isn't normal. Despite not owning the car a week, back to the dealership it will have to go to get this issue checked out. I'll keep everyone posted! But it does sound like a uncommon problem

tomweston
Feb 17th, 2015, 10:30
There are many other threads on this topic. However, I have a 2010 S40 1.6D Drive on which the stop start did not work even after trying the battery disconnect. In the end a new battery was required which solved the problem. There are many things which may stop the 'stop start' working: external air temp delow 0C, battery to hot or too cold, engine still cold, DPF regen in progress, air con fan running at greater than 60%, the auxiliary battery may be flat or faulty (there are 2 batteries on this car, big on in engine and small one in front of passenger side front wheel).
Since replacing the main battery in September 2014 I have had to disconnect the battery -'ve terminal a couple of times but mostly it works very well. It is a complex beast, good luck.
Check the main battery voltage, the auxiliary battery can be measured in the fuse box in the engine bay.

darrenawalker
Feb 17th, 2015, 10:48
Thanks for the tips. The issue here though is that the actual DrivE button stays illuminated and active, even when I press it to deactivate it. Its booked in with the Volvo dealer for tomorrow, so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

darrenawalker
Feb 18th, 2015, 10:01
So we took the car to the dealer this morning and they checked it over. It turns out they think the DrivE switch is faulty and they have now ordered a new one. Hopefully all will be fixed on Friday.