PDA

View Full Version : V50 General : - Software Update

Sirjames
Feb 16th, 2015, 21:10
Hi All,

Quick question regarding updating the software on the ECU- does anyone out there know if the Volvo system will blindly overwrite all the existing software in the ECU when reflashed, or if it does a 'windows' type thing where it checks the version number and only updates if the current 'Volvo' version is different to the version on the car?

My reason for asking is that I had the DPF removed and remapped, but the car has been nothing but trouble since so I'm toying with the idea of getting a new DPF and having the ECU reflashed with the genuine current Volvo software - hopefully to sort out the problems I've been having.

Any help gratefully received :-)

SonyVaio
Feb 16th, 2015, 23:23
Where did you have the DPF removal done?

What you are after is an ECU reload. This will overwrite your complete current ECU with the software it is supposed to have thus returning the ECU to full Volvo factory software. You will of course get the full and current version too.

Now, most places that deal with DPF removal are not genuine remap places and only have or deal in a selection of 'off the shelf' maps to be able to use and apply to your car. This creates problems especially with our beloved Volvos because when you get ECU updates over the years these updates change things that become very important. Then if some back street place changes your software that doesn't have the same changes as you previously got from updates; then this can cause a world of problems!

Some DPF removal places will also just remove the cars ability to report errors and as such when you get a real normal error that should be seen then it isn't or can't be.

You have 2 options:

1. Take it to a known and respected Volvo remapper who deals with DPF removal so you can have the ECU reload done and then DPF removal update applied properly, if you want to stay DPF less that is? This in itself is not going to be cheap.

2. You have an ECU reload done to return the ECU to Volvo factory but before having the ECU reload you'd have to replace the DPF and sensors etc... This I'm sure is not going to cheap either.

What is the current problems you are actually experiencing??

:star-wars-smiley-01

Sirjames
Feb 21st, 2015, 13:22
Thanks for your reply- the main problem is that the car looses power whilst accelerating up a gentle hill or whilst cruising on the motorway- I have to knock the car into Neutral, allow the revs to drop then put it back in gear and the power will be back. The other issue is that when the car is idling it now does so quite 'lumpily'- it's not as smooth at idle as it once was, more so when the engine is cold- this could just be coincidence though?

It's the loss of power that is the main issue for me though- just can;t seem to get to the bottom of why it does it. Driving around town or up short steep hills is fine...

SonyVaio
Feb 21st, 2015, 16:09
First thing to look at would be the Throttle Body (TB). Take off and give a good clean, the flap (or flaps if you have newer design) can be fouling on the inside of the TB and causing them to stick and thus give you problems like you describe.

I'm assuming you have a 2.0d??

Your problem can be related to other things such as TCV, boost sensor or even a dirty fuel filter but I'd start with cleaning the TB. Just ensure you don't over tighten the jubilee clip on the TB as this can cause it to distort slightly and thus cause the flap inside to foul. The TB can become slightly distorted over time due to heat and cause the sticking problem anyway. Chamfering the edges of the flap may help.

:star-wars-smiley-01