PDA

View Full Version : V50 Body : - Smashed window :(

geoffco
Feb 17th, 2015, 01:20
Some ba~tard smashed my drivers door window today - I was too far away to do anything but shout at the swine - they jumped back in their car and drove off! Nothing stolen (wasn't anything to steal in there at the time) but now I have a mess and need a replacement window!
- Anyone know (ballpark figure) how much I'm looking at?
- Anyone know somewhere good (and reasonably priced) in Glasgow?
- Do I need to have the trim (top of where the window goes into the door) replaced if it's slightly bent, or can that be taken off and straightened?

Finally, when I got back to the car in the company of some helpful police officers, I tried putting my hand into the car through the open window. The alarm was flashing red but didn't make a noise. That's surely not right as I had not unlocked the car?

Geoff

Car: 2007 V50 2.0D

geoffco
Feb 17th, 2015, 16:51
To answer some of my own questions:
- Cost is £252 from Autoglass but that works out as £75 through my insuarance. I don't doubt for a moment that it could be done for less than the quoted full cost, however, the price through the insurance along with the efficiency of having them sort it is compelling.
- The trim looks like it can be bent back / glued... We shall see when the window is replaced.

- I'm still concerned about the alarm, but have read in a few places that they can take a bit of effort to set them off.

Geoff

Tony500
Feb 17th, 2015, 23:16
Best doing it via the insurence if its only £75. Some are for sale on ebay though.

Where abouts in Glasgow are you? Im in glasgow too.

SonyVaio
Feb 17th, 2015, 23:44
Breakers yard will see you pick the glass up for probably about £20. You would have the labour to do though. I would just double check with your particular insurance that a glass claim has no bearing on future insurance costs.

So may insurance companies are now classing glass claims as 'fault' claims or 'no fault claims' and as such it can affect future insurance costs.

:star-wars-smiley-01

geoffco
Feb 18th, 2015, 12:07
@Tony500: I'm in the West End near the Botanic Gardens. You?

@SonyVaio: Yeah, and also there are plenty of places that'd do it cheaper than Autoglass!! Admiral apparently class their glass cover as a separate service that doesn't change the main premium / NCD (and I don't have any NCD for this year anyway). Hopefully that is correct.

Geoff

SonyVaio
Feb 18th, 2015, 22:34
Yes, that is correct Geoff with the way Admiral work.

It is becoming standard practice though, makes premiums cheaper but that is why you have to look at the small print and not just the yearly premium cost. Your safe enough with Admiral or the glass side of things.

Tony500
Feb 18th, 2015, 22:40
Im in Darnley 5 mins away from Silverburn shopping centre

Thats good with Admiral, im with them and have a stonechip on my windscreen.

So what did you end up doing?

geoffco
Feb 19th, 2015, 00:18
Just got it fixed tonight - Autoglass sent a guy round at about 21:30 and it was done in about an hour... Pretty slick in that Autoglass are already set up to work together with Admiral and so they just sorted everything out for me.

One thing that still wants attention is the door window trim - it's a bit out of shape and probably needs replacing. See attachemnt.. Anyone know what the part number for that might be??

Cheers,
Geoff

SonyVaio
Feb 19th, 2015, 01:03
What your after is known as a weather strip. All the same for S40/V50 from 2004 - 2012. If searching on VIDA you want (845 : Mouldings for doors and hatches).

Volvo Part Number depending on chassis number:

Right Hand Front - Chassis <400008 = 30762284
Right Hand Front - Chassis >400009 = 31217768

Left Hand Front - Chassis <400001 = 30762283
Left Hand Front - Chassis >400002 = 31217767

HTH,