PDA

View Full Version : Heavy diesel leak around injectors

junitrules
Feb 18th, 2015, 18:34
Hi all,

So, my 2008 V50 2.0d went in for an injector copper seal replacement as there was a lot of black tar like 'stuff' around number 2 injector.

Driving home, I could smell strong fumes from the engine, thought it was perhaps the cleaning solution to clear up the seating for the injector.

When I got home, and take the engine cover off I find diesel has leaked and pooled in all the wells where the injectors are.

Is it likely they haven't seated the injector correctly, or attached a line properly, or that they've cracked the rail?

Any thoughts about what is most likely would be much appreciated - I'm going to call them tomorrow to recover the vehicle from my drive and sort it but would like to know probable causes.

Photos don't do it justice - there is a lot of fuel!

cheshired5
Feb 18th, 2015, 20:04
With that volume, it's likely the pipe to injector connection hasn't been tightened correctly or not clamped down sufficiently.
If it's like the D5, new clamps should really be fitted following removal as they lose their spring force to sufficiently secure.

junitrules
Feb 18th, 2015, 21:10
Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like a fairly easy fix if that's the case - here's hoping they drive the 20 miles to my house to remedy it as I'm not driving it back!

Cheers

138gat
Feb 19th, 2015, 16:57
check the returns/leak offs are in correctly, had this myself

junitrules
Feb 19th, 2015, 17:33
Thanks for the replies.

I managed to take a look this morning when there was some daylight (got back in the dark last night).

It was indeed the leak off Y connector that wasn't seated in the injector properly.

The garage replaced the clip holding it in, as the old one lost it's strength, just as cheshired5 said

junitrules
Feb 24th, 2015, 18:17
Still leaking after the O ring was replaced on the plastic valve.

Anyone know what diameter hose is required to replace? I suspect one of the pipes has cracked when they were fiddling about with it.

It seems an easy job to replace the hoses - anything to watch out for?

Thanks

miksu
Feb 25th, 2015, 01:07
You are supposed to replace the entire return/leak hose assemly with all the y-pieces and so on if it has to be removed or touched. I took the cheap route once (on a ford) and had all the o-rings fail one by one and eventually replaced all of them. Would have been easier (and probably cheaper too) just to get the hoses. On the other hand if you just disconnect one... But I remember the entire assembly is not too exprensive (ford part).

Excessive return flow may also be one part of the problem if some of the injectors are damaged.

junitrules
Feb 25th, 2015, 13:41
Thanks for the info.

The kit doesn't seem too expensive to replace it all - I might go down that route should the garage not sort it out.

I will have to do a leak off test at some point