PDA

View Full Version : C30 General : - First car for an 18y.o.

AndrewMG
Feb 23rd, 2015, 19:55
My FiL wants to buy this car http://www.balmoralcarsales.co.uk/used-cars/volvo-c30-1-6-d-drive-r-design-2dr-glasgow-201501140165786 for my wife's sister who has just turned 18. I've not had a chance to go and look at it yet but I think it looks over prices with too high mileage.

Any thoughts?

His wife also went to see it and it has the dreaded "anti skid serviced required" coming up. This is a total deal breaker to me but I thought I would get some more ammo before I tell them to look elsewhere.

SonyVaio
Feb 23rd, 2015, 21:49
Anti Skid can be a number of things from an ABS sensor/reluctor ring (requires new hub at approx. £200 for genuine part). It can be ABS ECU @ approx. £800 for part or steering wheel angle sensor.

So unless diagnosed correctly this message could be pretty painful to the pocket later!!

Lets face it the garage is not going to send it to Volvo to be looked at and properly diagnosed, they are going to fob you off with some excuse or loosely plausible storey that it is due to damp and not been driven and will be okay in a few days (in hope the message clears for a while).

The price doesn't seem too over the top for a 59 plate but I would expect nearer to 5k. Certainly not worth considering unless the Anti-Skid message is FULLY diagnosed. The ABS pump and fitting from Volvo can come to the tune of £1200. It can be done cheaper elsewhere with a repair but that is by the by.

Plenty good ones out there I'd keep looking. What a cracking first car it would be though!

:star-wars-smiley-01

T5R92011
Feb 24th, 2015, 09:18
Tonnes of C30's around. Don't go for one with an error message already showing. If the previous owner couldn't be bothered to fix it before chopping it in then I wonder what else could be wrong?

Go for a different one methinks.

AndrewMG
Feb 24th, 2015, 09:30
You both mirror my opinions of the car. TBH, I don't think this is a great first choice of car for a girl who is living 400 miles from her parents as you are at the mercy of local garages if anything goes wrong with it and when it needs MOT/service. This is exactly the situation that new cars with warranties are perfect for.

Sasha94
Feb 25th, 2015, 10:50
Yeah leave it out, if you don't have the sense to avoid spending over £6k on a car with an error message showing you must have a screw loose somewhere. Also what 18yo girl needs a diesel? I know I'm 20 and do 30k a year but I'd bet she won't do the miles to warrant it. For reference our 2008 C30 1.6 S (I know, petrol and not R-Design but still) cost £3600 last year with 94k otc. It wouldn't be a bad price if it were a facelift with no fault message though as 59 was the changeover reg but it isn't so I'm sure you'll find a better one :)

Loskie
Feb 25th, 2015, 12:12
whats the visibility out of the C30 like?
Suitable for a new driver?

T5R92011
Feb 25th, 2015, 18:58
Also, the C30 is not a cheap car to service..... unless the 18 year old is earning a decent wage servicing prices etc can be quite expensive.

Rusty1
Feb 26th, 2015, 07:13

Visibility is very good, the cabin feels light and airy unlike a V40 I test drove the other day, that felt smaller, darker and more cramped.

I used to struggle with reverse parking because the rear 'shoulders' aren't visible from inside the car but now I use the mirrors instead of just looking over my shoulder.

AndrewMG
Feb 27th, 2015, 12:13
Also, the C30 is not a cheap car to service..... unless the 18 year old is earning a decent wage servicing prices etc can be quite expensive.

Daddy would be paying so I'm sure that won't be considered.

Loskie
Feb 27th, 2015, 20:58
So will the insurance be done properly or "fronted"?

Bin The L Plates
Feb 27th, 2015, 23:16

I use a C30 as my tuition vehicle, and to be honest the visibility is good so long they remember to look.