PDA

View Full Version : S40 Won't Start

rybi
Feb 24th, 2015, 13:34
I have an s40 diesel 06, 130000 miles and basically I can't get it to start. Looking at some of the other posts the ignition switch seems to be a common problem, but just want to seek some advice to make sure.

Basically I hadn't any prior issues or warning of what was going to happen until I drove to a filling station and couldn't start the car again. I could turn the key all the way to iii on the ignition, lights would come one etc. but absolutely nothing from the engine, no crank noise or anything. Upon inspection of the engine I noticed I had a small oil leak and the starter motor was drenched in oil. I had the gaskets replaced and also removed and cleaned/repaired the starter motor. The car then seemed to be okay and upon testing out of say 20 starts it failed to start just once.

Anyway, later in the day it started to play up again, however I noticed if I kept the key at the iii position on the ignition the engine would suddenly start up after 5-10 secs. This morning, car wouldn't start at all, out of say 10 or so attempts I did get a 'Immobiliser problem, check manual' message, but nothing on the other attempts and no other warnings / messages.

I did get the engine going by connecting a live feed to the selonoid, however I've noticed I seem to have lost some power from the car; which may be a whole other problem that needs to get sorted later, just thought I'd throw that in anyway!

Sorry for the length of the post, anyone any ideas / advice? Thanks in advance.

iainmd
Feb 25th, 2015, 13:44
When my ignition switch went this month I got "Key Error" on the dash/trip display when I put the key in. I guess a code scan is probably the best first port of call.

rybi
Feb 26th, 2015, 13:07
Thanks for the reply Iain. For some reason the car seems to be starting first time now, for the past day atleast. I'm not sure why, perhaps a loose wire but I doubt the problem is gone for good, no doubt it won't start at the most inconvenient moment.

In terms of the error message, I only got a message once or twice out of the many times it wouldn't start (saying 'immobiliser problem, check manual'), so I'm still unsure if the problem was key, ingnition switch, immobiliser, loose wire or something else? Otherwise I could sort the problem now, rather than waiting for it to go again.