PDA

View Full Version : Buying V50?

feichter
Feb 25th, 2015, 17:27
Hi all,

I am contemplating buying a second hand V50 (hopefully 2.4 diesel). I am currently driving a Chrysler 300C.

Can you give me any ideas of things I should be looking for?

Many thanks.

pompeyal
Feb 28th, 2015, 08:28
An Audi...

feichter
Feb 28th, 2015, 12:21
Hmmm...

Anyone else on any Volvos??

pompeyal
Mar 2nd, 2015, 08:29
Guess its an Audi then...

MacV50
Mar 2nd, 2015, 13:45
Haven out driven one yet? If not, get a test drive to see if you even like the car.

What age are you looking at? Have you a budget in mind?

Like any car, V50s have their fair share of problems. Do a search on here and you should find plenty of threads although generally nothing too serious. I have seen threads mentioning oil level on the D5 as it should be left around the middle mark since the level can rise during DPF regeneration but I think there's a software fix.

Audi is in a different league quality wise but they have their fair share of problems too ...

Welton
Mar 2nd, 2015, 14:40
Coming from a 300C, which is basically a big waftbarge, I don't think you'll like the V50's ride and interior space is very limited (unless you don't like the 300's set up).

Suspension issues and tyre wear are a common problem. Diesel engines are modern and therefore quite complex which might be bad news as the car gets older. The petrol units give very little trouble but use more fuel obvs but just depends what you want it for.

Plus points are well made interior and body parts, reliable electrics and completely rust free bodies.

pompeyal
Mar 2nd, 2015, 19:27
If you must get a V50 avoid the Diesel, my son has one on a 57 plate and has been a pain in the butt since he has had it, faults galore and no definite diagnostics to point to the problems, when it is running OK which hasn't been often it is a nice motor but I can't wait to get it sorted and sold on, our experience of this car has been really bad and reading other post on here for the V50 diesel, the problems are all of a similar story, just be warned.....

Sasha94
Mar 2nd, 2015, 22:34
But yet my diesel has been perfect and much more fuel efficient than my previous 407 with exactly the same engine.

The V50 is nice but the other end of the scale to a 300C, going from a big wafty estate with lots of space and storage areas in the cabin to a small lifestyle estate with very poor interior storage but the driving experience is good, they handle well despite numb steering and the seating is better than just about any other car around. The 2.4 D5 is a nice engine but go for an auto as they seem to suit them better IMO, expect a step up in build quality from a 300C inside but there are a few flaws.

The Thong
Mar 3rd, 2015, 08:43
The V50 Is a good motor. They do lack storage space but the handling is good and have a big engine with a small body (the car I mean) gives you plenty of punch. I can't comment on three D5's because I have the 2ltr and that rocks on.

Check for front lower arms on the suspension, they do wear and as mentioned, tyres. Make sure all the buttons and stereo works Ok etc. Short of that you won't go far wrong.

TT

SouthWestWanderer
Mar 3rd, 2015, 11:53
I would counter what Sean says about the D5 - when mated with the auto box, it is a bit sluggish and sedentry to me. The auto is also much more thirsty than the specs indicate - Real world figs seem to be: 40ish MPG.

I have the manual D5: Whilst it is not *that* quick off the line (1st & 2nd are very short gears), the acceleration in 4th and 5th gear is awesome, and makes for easy overtakes on A/B roads. I am finding mine to be slightly more economical than the specs indicate at around 46mpg. I'm not that gentle with it, but most of my driving is rural, so that balances out.

The D5 also seems to be fairly reliable: they have the better Diesel Particulate Filter than the 2.0d, so there is a saving there. In the real world, the 2.0d is also about the same on fuel than the D5, so the D5 may work out cheaper in the long run, as the DPF needs maintenance on the 2.0d.

All that said: if you are coming from a 300c, it might feel too small for your needs: for me the choice was a BMW 120d or the V50. I went for the Volvo in the end as I needed the boot space, and won't buy a car without a spare wheel on principle.

In size and feel terms: The V50 is closer to an Audi A3 Sportback or a Golf Estate than an Audi A4/Passat Estate. Just my thoughts. Drive one and see what you think!

Sasha94
Mar 3rd, 2015, 14:41
SWW that's interesting, I know about the torque reducer in first and second gear but having driven one for a bit, I preferred the auto myself, but I would because I'm lazy haha. I suppose the manual is more engaging to drive but I found first and second gear very short myself. Though I'm sure if owned one I might think differently about it :)

SouthWestWanderer
Mar 3rd, 2015, 15:36
Hi Sean

Thanks for taking my comment in the sprit it was intended: constructive debate!

I drove an auto and really liked it. It was definitely a relaxing place to be, but it was a bit more steady than the manual, and I was after economy and the most engaging drive I could get (hence the 120d idea!). So the manual was better for me.

First and second are definitely far too short, and even third is a little stunted, but once it's in its stride, the power in 4th and 5th for overtaking is epic.

The upshot is: its power is better suited for mile munching, rather than for drag racing off the lights.

feichter
Mar 5th, 2015, 16:16
Hi all

Thank you VERY much for all your comments!

My 300C is due it's MOT in May, so will definitevely wait until then to make a decision.

In short: I need a car that is confortable to drive, has a big(ish) engine and is a diesel. This is because I drive very little in the UK but go quite often to France which is an 1100 miles round trip. Of those 1100 miles, 1000 are on the motorway. In France I use the cruise control set to 82-83mph.

Before the 300C, I had a 2.0 litre diesel Avensis. Nice car, never let me down, but seating somewhat unconfortable. Also, doing 80(ish) on the motorway was quite noisy.

In the last 12 months, I've spend around £1200 on repairs on the 300C. The latest was new brake disks all round (!) and a new front brake caliper.
An oil change (which should be done every 6000miles), takes 9 litres of oil (!). No need to tell you that you need a very deep wallet...
The car is a 07 plate with 70k on the clock.

If you have any more comments....

mpt
Mar 5th, 2015, 16:32
Bmw 330/335/530/535d?

feichter
Mar 5th, 2015, 20:41
A possibility ...

SouthWestWanderer
Mar 9th, 2015, 13:57
Hi Feichter

Just by way of an update following your post about long motorway trips: I did 260 miles in mine this weekend, almost all motorway (London to Nottingham and back).

On the way up, I spent quite a lot of the time in '3 points' territory. On the way back I was in no hurry so the cruise was on at 70 mph.

Over the trip (and brim to brim at the same pump in the same fuel station) my D5 Manual managed 46.5 MPG.

This is only over about half a tank, so it might be a little less than accurate.

feichter
Mar 9th, 2015, 14:16
Hi SouthWestWanderer

I did exactly the same but to Exeter and back!

Same garage, brim to brim, and I used 47.78 litres for 345 miles. That's 32.82 mpg. Not too bad for a 3.0 litre diesel.

Obviously your results are much better.