PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 2007 V50 Fuel Pump

DaveBBB
Feb 26th, 2015, 09:31
Hello, reading the posts here it sounds like this year of V50 is full of trouble!

Looking for some advice. The car is on finance, and as we drove along the car stopped working, this was about 3 months after we bought the car, so took it back to dealer who got it running. 2 months later bang same thing, but this time dealer said we are out of warranty. So called Blackhorse who said, no problem, we'll have a look.

There report came back - car has been miss fuelled (petrol in the tank) early in it's life, there was also water ingress in the fuse box and oddly a wing nut was snapped next to the head light...So they spent £3000 on new fuel pump, new injectors and tried to dry fuse box out. So fine, drove it off, about 2 weeks later bang, broke down, fuel wasn't getting to engine....

So sent it back in, but then we get the call...this problem is unrelated as it's the pressure control valve in the fuel pump and this is a sealed unit and can't possibly be related to the other problems...so you have to pay £1200 to get it fixed.

Can that be true? The fuel pump was on the side of the cylinder head is there another one? Is this just bad luck and a coincidence?

Any help would be really appreciated!

pgm
Feb 26th, 2015, 09:35
Would help if you said which engine is in the vehicle.

Paul

DaveBBB
Feb 26th, 2015, 10:03
Sorry it is a 2.0 diesel with 53k on the clock.

James Hepburn
Feb 27th, 2015, 21:49
I was just about to post a similar problem but ill tell you what I've discovered whilst trying not to hijack your thread!

I have a 54plate 2.0 with 90thou on the clock. Since I bought it in November it has cut out 6 times. The fault code was telling me low pump pressure but I didn't know if the low pressure was causing the fault or a result of the problem. I have now noticed that the car stops running with approx 100 miles left in the tank. Once ive put some fuel in restarting it is a ba5t*$D I have to fire brake cleaner into the air box to run the engine until it pulls the fuel through. Because of this I presumed there was no tank or lift pump but today I found out different. Also once it has run out of fuel and I brim the tank I can only get about 40liters in and its a 55liter tank??

Because there seems to be fuel left in the tank when it stops I reckon there must be a problem with a pick up pipe etc so went to the Volvo main dealers to have a look at what parts there are in the tank and it seems that the only thing in there is a tank pump/sender/fuel pick up unit. I had a chat with the guys in the work shop and they did say they had the odd problem with a pipe inside the sender unit that cracked and then stopped picking fuel up when the tank got low. That all makes sense to me but @£300 for a new one I want to make sure that is the problem.

I hope that may give you a few idea to what your problem may be and is there anybody else that has had a similar problem.