PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) General : - Power Steering Pump Bearing Fail

V40DSchariot
Feb 26th, 2015, 22:42
Hi Folks, I normally reside in the S/V40 96-04 area, but here to ask about a problem my Dad's having with his 07 S40 1.6 power steering and if this is a known problem with this era of S40.
On taking his S40 for it's service at a local Volvo garage, they found iron filings in the power steering fluid. They recommended a new steering pump, flushed the system several times but still had iron filings seeping back into the fluid.
Apparently the filings are from a bearing in the power steering pump which had collapsed and worked it's way through the whole system and f$%ked everything in it's path. Has many people experienced this unfortunate problem on here and if it's a known problem. He now has to have I think the whole steering system replaced. Which as I'm sure your all aware, isn't going to be a cheap job.
Thanks in advance.

marccowley
Feb 27th, 2015, 10:06
Has he actually noticed any problrms with his steering before it went in for its service?

Welton
Feb 27th, 2015, 14:01
We hear of very few (in fact none really) problems with the PAS pumps which kind of surprises me with them being electric. I've never changed my fluid, I guess I should.

I would say that if your Father's system had lost fluid for some reason then this could lead to wear in the pump but low fluid is normally accompanied by strange noises.

V40DSchariot
Feb 27th, 2015, 20:10
Has he actually noticed any problrms with his steering before it went in for its service?

I took him down to pick his car up earlier and it turns out that he had a PAS pump fitted last March. Apparently when I drove to Manchester airport in his car for him to drive back home last June I commented on the steering feeling a little stiff and tight compared with my 03 V40. This time it's had to have the whole steering replaced, Pump, Rack etc. They took the price of the pump off as that was still under warranty. Still doesn't sit easy with me though as to why this has happened. I did ask as to whether they would have took a fluid sample last year when changing the pump, to which the response was no, drain fluid, replace pump, fill with fluid.
I think he was having a service before MOT and rang him with this problem and told him they've taken a fluid sample which is when they said iron filings were in the fluid and that it would be a MOT fail, so not sure if this created any other steering problems.

As far as I know it wasn't leaking any fluid.