PDA

View Full Version : What's this hose? Exhaust fumes leak

tbontour
Mar 3rd, 2015, 13:25
Hi all,

I wondered if anybody could identify this hose. My other half has exhaust fumes coming into the cab of her 2009 V50 1.6d drivE. To help identify the cause we covered the exhaust with a hand and listened for leaks in the engine bay and this is what we found - a small hose at the front of the engine with a sooty hole in it!

Now I know my way around the inside of my petrol bmw engine pretty well but modern diesels are way more complicated and I have no idea! The hose is about 1cm diameter and runs from the thick metal pipe at the fron of the engine (cat?) to the cover of the battery box. There is a very similar hose running alongside it.

The picture is looking down between the radiator and front of the engine.

While I'm here, where can i find decent diagrams of this engine etc. I use a website called realoem.com for bmw stuff and wondered if there was something similar for volvos?

Thanks,
Tony

tbontour
Mar 3rd, 2015, 13:52
Sorry, answered my own question... Looks like a DPF sensor hose. Anyone replaced one of these? Looks fairly straight forward if I can get to it...

tbontour
Mar 12th, 2015, 13:04
Ever get the feeling you're talking to yourself? Anyway, I changed the hoses. Replacements come as a pair and cost me £28.97 from FRF Volvo. Fitting was fairly straight forward once I'd removed the air filter box to get access.

msh
Mar 12th, 2015, 13:11
well done

RoyBoy
Oct 3rd, 2015, 10:55
I occasionally get fumes so thanks for info on something to check for......

tbontour
Oct 5th, 2015, 14:09
Roy, FYI the fumes turned out to be coming from a leaking injector seal in the end. That was a nightmare job to fix. Look for black shiny gunk around the fuel injectors (need to take the engine cover off). Quite a common failure apparently.

iainmd
Oct 5th, 2015, 18:18
Ever get the feeling you're talking to yourself? Anyway, I changed the hoses. Replacements come as a pair and cost me £28.97 from FRF Volvo. Fitting was fairly straight forward once I'd removed the air filter box to get access.

I did the same recently. My DPF hose (upper) was completely sheared. Access from the top on the 1.6D was terrible but once I had a brainwave, put the car on axle stands and took off the undertray it was a doddle.