PDA

View Full Version : V50 General : - Installing a dash cam - wires

Jamesv50LPGJ
Mar 6th, 2015, 09:17
Hi

i have a dash cam i want to install and wire into a permanent 12v so it comes on with the ignition.

i was hoping there maybe some wires in the lighting cluster in the roof?

has anyone done this, or have any advice what wires to use?

torroa
Mar 6th, 2015, 10:57
Yes, the orange wire that is connected to pin 1 feeding the auto-dimming mirror should be powered when the ignition key is in position 1. You just have to remove the overhead lightning cluster

Jamesv50LPGJ
Mar 6th, 2015, 11:42
brilliant, thank you!

Missing Lincs
Mar 6th, 2015, 14:37
Yes, the orange wire that is connected to pin 1 feeding the auto-dimming mirror should be powered when the ignition key is in position 1. You just have to remove the overhead lightning cluster
Do you know if the wire is present on cars without an auto-dimming mirror?

torroa
Mar 6th, 2015, 14:48
Do you know if the wire is present on cars without an auto-dimming mirror?

It is on mine, and it is a popular retrofit to install auto-dimming mirror with compass. Check this good writeup on how it is done: Electro-chromatic Rearview Mirror Upgrade (http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php/topic/70087-write-up-electro-chromatic-rearview-mirror-upgrade/?&p=897240&hl=%2Bautodimming+%2Bmirror&fromsearch=1)

Missing Lincs
Mar 6th, 2015, 17:06
Thanks. I was thinking for a camera, not too bothered about the mirror.

torroa
Mar 6th, 2015, 17:34
Thanks. I was thinking for a camera, not too bothered about the mirror.

Me neither as I already have a compass in my navigation unit. I had an annoying rattle inside the overhead light after the windshield was replaced, and therefore I recently removed it. Thats when I saw the wiring for the mirror and rain sensor were present. I thought the guide might come in handy if you want to tear it down. Fairly easy, and it is only held in place with one T20 screw, at least in the pre-facelift models.

You should be able to fit a mount for the camera on the front side of the mirror, making it as discrete as possible with hardly any wiring visible.

Jamesv50LPGJ
Mar 7th, 2015, 18:37
all done and wired up, cheers for the advice.

kevdotty
Mar 7th, 2015, 20:17
Would you be able to post pics as I am interested in trying this.

Jamesv50LPGJ
Mar 7th, 2015, 21:30
sure, i will get some pics tomorrow

torroa
Mar 7th, 2015, 23:22
all done and wired up, cheers for the advice.

No problem, glad you got it sorted.

Both power and ground can be traced from the connector. And if someone would like a reverse camera, or install third party parking sensors, it feeds power by the green-red wire from the reverse light as well. The wires can be found behind the trim on the right hand A-pillar and used to power your navigation unit, DAB radio and so on. Too bad it is so damn hard to integrate to the existing MOST system..

SouthWestWanderer
Mar 9th, 2015, 13:41
Great Info!

Does anyone know how the newer wiring works? When you pull the cluster down, it drops out of a plug which is housed in a plastic fitting. This is glued into the headlinging and cant be removed. I can see the wires that go into the plug, but not really get to them without cutting the loom open which I am reluctant to do in case I damage anything.

My camera needs a permanent live as well as a switched live, or it forgets the date etc...

torroa
Mar 9th, 2015, 14:59
Looks like the facelift models has a different 4-pin connector that might not be as accessible. The wires are colored similar to the pre facelift models, black ground wire from pin 1 and orange 12v switched from pin 3. Check this diagram from a 2011 V50