PDA

View Full Version : S40 front bumper fog lights

Scouseladchris
Mar 10th, 2015, 20:40
Hi I purchased my s40 in December with upgraded headlights under the bonnet there are two can bus boxes which enable the new light bulbs but they upgraded the main beam but not the front fog light if seen people driving off a night with just the front lights on of a night and they look good I was wondering if anyone knows what I'd need to swap them over as they look daft and don't match helpful if anyone has links and or pics of there's converted cheers

JBONE
Mar 10th, 2015, 21:01
I just put LED bulbs in my fogs to get the colour match with my headlamps

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221220&highlight=Led+fogs

Scouseladchris
Mar 11th, 2015, 04:33
I just put LED bulbs in my fogs to get the colour match with my headlamps

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221220&highlight=Led+fogs

I must say JBone looks very good also looking at your picture your cars 6months newer than mine and my headlight seems to be in a different set up were your main beam are closer to the volvo badge mine are closer to the indercators odd is that standard or have you made customs also the orange lights at the side of mine also dont light up as yours do mines and se sport r design model so i imagine it should any tips ? Also my bulbs are a lot more blue than yours ! Ill try upload a pic

Scouseladchris
Mar 11th, 2015, 04:37
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/Chris_McGuirk/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdzp5gsez.jpg

See the difference between mine and yours JBONE i know its daylight but harder to see but best i had haha

iainmd
Mar 11th, 2015, 07:47
Hi I purchased my s40 in December with upgraded headlights under the bonnet there are two can bus boxes which enable the new light bulbs but they upgraded the main beam but not the front fog light if seen people driving off a night with just the front lights on of a night and they look good I was wondering if anyone knows what I'd need to swap them over as they look daft and don't match helpful if anyone has links and or pics of there's converted cheers

Much as I have a reputation for banging the same old drum, use of foglights in anything other than conditions of reduced visibility (<100m by the rules of the road in the UK) is:

a) illegal (fixed penalty fine can be issued by the police)
b) incredibly annoying for many other road users
c) makes the driver look like a ned

Just saying. By all means swap the bulbs for something else but they aren't driving lights.

JBONE
Mar 11th, 2015, 09:42
I must say JBone looks very good also looking at your picture your cars 6months newer than mine and my headlight seems to be in a different set up were your main beam are closer to the volvo badge mine are closer to the indercators odd is that standard or have you made customs also the orange lights at the side of mine also dont light up as yours do mines and se sport r design model so i imagine it should any tips ? Also my bulbs are a lot more blue than yours ! Ill try upload a pic

Mine are the standard Volvo Bi-Xenon headlamps where as yours are after market HID, that's where the differences will be. The amber side markers should be on all the time so its probably worth checking the bulbs or a fuse. Headlamps are removed easily enough.

Much as I have a reputation for banging the same old drum, use of foglights in anything other than conditions of reduced visibility (<100m by the rules of the road in the UK) is:

a) illegal (fixed penalty fine can be issued by the police)
b) incredibly annoying for many other road users
c) makes the driver look like a ned

Just saying. By all means swap the bulbs for something else but they aren't driving lights.

Using them as driving lights wasn't mentioned.

Scouseladchris
Mar 11th, 2015, 10:11
See i thought as theres two seperate switches for front and rear fog the front could be used as a seperate light source for night driving as i seen a v70 driving round running then and that was at day time and i also seen a s40 with them on of a night odd probly not worth it then haha and as for the other lights have to check them over always noticed that when passing other s40s

JBONE
Mar 11th, 2015, 10:15
Ok you do mean driving lights then. Some S40's from 2010 onwards have LED Driving lights, it was a optional extra.

iainmd
Mar 11th, 2015, 12:51
Using them as driving lights wasn't mentioned.

It was implied (which scouseladchris backed up by the post that followed).

As Jbone states, some 2010+ Volvos feature LED DRLs (daytime running lights, not driving lights). These extinguish as night when the dipped beam lights are switched on.

You can't turn fog lights into DRLs simply by putting LED bulbs in as the units are E marked as foglamps and aren't classified as DRLs.

If the V70 you saw was driving with fogs on at night he shouldn't be. If he had DRLs on and it was dark one might argue that he should have his dipped beam on. Personally I feel that the front LED DRLs used by many manufacturers now should be banned unless the rear tail lights also illuminate. We get plenty of idiots driving around our locality with just their LED DRLs on at night and the rear of the car is in complete darkness. It's extremely dangerous.