PDA

View Full Version : front lower control arm (rear bushes)

GazzR
Mar 11th, 2015, 09:23
So basically i get bad wheel wobble and vibration when braking, i have looked underneath whilst turning steering and the control arm moves all over in these bushes so im guessing these are my problem.

My question is what do i replace them with i.e: new genuine control arms, meyle control arms, febi bilstein control arms or has anyone replaced these bushes with poly ones?

Cheers

pgm
Mar 11th, 2015, 10:05
You don't need to change the control arm you can just trace the bushings however they are difficult to remove. I cut mine off with an angle grinder. From memory I used meyle bushes to replace mine.

Paul

marccowley
Mar 11th, 2015, 12:04
its more than likely warped front discs if the steering wheel wobbles, suspension would have to way past the point of failing to cause any such problems

pgm
Mar 11th, 2015, 12:08
its more than likely warped front discs if the steering wheel wobbles, suspension would have to way past the point of failing to cause any such problems

I thought the same but was proved wrong.

Paul

Welton
Mar 11th, 2015, 15:14
I fitted Firstline bottom arms 3 years ago and the bushings are still fine (we checked them on a shaker plate yesterday) they were cheap enough to replace the whole thing especially with the labour time it takes to get the old ones out and new ones pressed in etc.

The only thing you need to know is whether you have an 18mm or 21mm ball joint so you get the right ones.

Classic signs of the failed bushing is vibration under braking and tram-lining/following cambers in the road under acceleration.

GazzR
Mar 11th, 2015, 15:46
You don't need to change the control arm you can just trace the bushings however they are difficult to remove. I cut mine off with an angle grinder. From memory I used meyle bushes to replace mine.

Paul

It has new pads n discs all round, it seems common for these bushes to cause these symptoms, yeah i saw that you can just replace the bushes but i figure the front bush and ball joint may as well be replaced while its off and its alot simpler to replace the arm. I used to have an audi a4 avant and people always seemed impressed with meyle bushes on them. Cheers

GazzR
Mar 11th, 2015, 15:48
I fitted Firstline bottom arms 3 years ago and the bushings are still fine (we checked them on a shaker plate yesterday) they were cheap enough to replace the whole thing especially with the labour time it takes to get the old ones out and new ones pressed in etc.

The only thing you need to know is whether you have an 18mm or 21mm ball joint so you get the right ones.

Classic signs of the failed bushing is vibration under braking and tram-lining/following cambers in the road under acceleration.

This is the exact symptoms im having, i will look into firstline ones, cheers

Anybody polybushed them?

scooby
Mar 11th, 2015, 20:18
i had the same problem mine was the rear bushes mine was split to when on full lock it opened up i fitted the melye hd arms car drives loads nicer now

msh
Mar 12th, 2015, 12:32
Hi
I was have inner edge tyre wear. Due to movement of the lower wishbone bushes.
I swap the bushes for powerflex ones and replaced the ball joints at the same time.
not the cheapest option but I was very happy with the results
Mark

GazzR
Mar 12th, 2015, 13:55
Yeah i think i will look at the meyle hd and the polybushes, the febi bilstein are not a bad price either which id expect them to be fairly good quality.