PDA

View Full Version : V50 General : - V50 Exhaust downpipe 'blowing'

tynank01
Mar 11th, 2015, 12:44
Hi there,

I have a 55 plate V50, 2.4i and a recent service flagged up that the exhaust downpipe is blowing. Apparently you can't just replace the downpipe on the V50, you have to replace the catalyst too and the part from Volvo is over £800. The garage assured me that there are no after market products available and Volvo are the only option. Has anyone had this problem? I find it hard to believe that no one else makes them so am after any advice anyone may be able to give!

Many thanks all!!

tomweston
Mar 11th, 2015, 13:26
If the pipe has a hole in it can you get to it and fit a simple patch using jubilee clamps and a small metal plate with fire gum or similar? I did a similar repair on a Ford Ka and it worked fine, MOT station were ok with the repair for many years.

JBONE
Mar 11th, 2015, 14:41
I'm sure if you couldn't find one a custom exhaust company would be able to make one to suit? It'd be a faction of the cost if they could.

Welton
Mar 11th, 2015, 14:45
It sounds like it might be the downpipe flexible that is leaking? if so they are impossible to patch up. One of the reasons why the flexi blows is excessive engine movement on tired engine mounts! so a £35.00 mount takes out an £800.00 exhaust part.

I would take the car to an exhaust place which do Powerflow systems and ask them to cut out your flexi and weld in a new one. It would cost a fraction of the Volvo part.

gswede
Mar 12th, 2015, 13:41
At least check that the manifold is securely tightened. Noticed I had some blow on my T5. Found 7 of 8 nuts to be lose.

Also, one day I had a helluva racket going on as soon as the car started, found 2 of the 3 bolts holding DP to manifold missing!!

tynank01
Mar 13th, 2015, 12:33
It sounds like it might be the downpipe flexible that is leaking? if so they are impossible to patch up. One of the reasons why the flexi blows is excessive engine movement on tired engine mounts! so a £35.00 mount takes out an £800.00 exhaust part.

I would take the car to an exhaust place which do Powerflow systems and ask them to cut out your flexi and weld in a new one. It would cost a fraction of the Volvo part.

Thanks all for your helpful tips and yes Welton, that's exactly the problem. Powerflow systems, copy that! Will get it booked in for the work asap. Thanks for the advice!