PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) Engine 2.0D : - wheel Bearings/Drive Shaft Failure

johnjb
Mar 11th, 2015, 14:15
Hello

Seeking advice about failure of front wheel bearings and drive shafts?
I am getting a loud rumbling noise from the front section of my car, it increases with speed and turning round corners. Is it caused by a failure of wheel bearings.What are the symptons of drive shaft failure apart from the obvious one!

Any advice would be most welcome.

John

SonyVaio
Mar 11th, 2015, 17:40
Check pad level as this can be a possibility but chances are it is a wheel bearing. Just ensure you have it diagnosed correctly as it can be expensive replacing the wrong one!

Volvo have changed the bearing design as the old one allowed water ingress which is what caused the bearings to become noisy and subsequently fail prematurely. Ensure you get the newer type (part number).

Although it will work out far cheaper to get what looks like great deals on eBay for bearings at the £30 - £50 mark for pattern parts, these will last very little time and uneconomical in the long run if keeping your vehicle.

I'm not necessarily saying go buy ones straight from Volvo @ approx. £200 a bearing (comes as whole hub including ABS sensor and bolts) but search for genuine bearings being sold, try the on site sellers on here and also keep an eye out for SKF or FAG (Volvo OEM manufacturer for front/rear).

:star-wars-smiley-01