PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) Electrics : - After Market Xenon bulbs killing Wiper motor

tuxx
Mar 13th, 2015, 10:41
Hey there

Just to let you know, I had fitted after market Xenons in my headlights. Then, about 3 weeks later (I didn't make the connection immediately!) the wipers came on, and wouldn't stop, even when I removed the keys. Then they stopped and wouldn't start again. Replacing the motor from a breaker for €50 solved the problem. It happened again twice, so I removed the Xenon's, and is hasn't happened again......

Sasha94
Mar 13th, 2015, 11:11
It's a common fault this and another warning of the risk if you're going to do it. I have 35w 4300k H7R bulbs in my S40 with digital slimline ballasts and they have been fine for the last 7 months but I could be a lucky one :)

Welton
Mar 13th, 2015, 11:13
Three wiper motors!

If you search on here there's a thread showing an alternative method of earthing the HID's separately so they don't affect the wiper motor.

I believe the factory earth for the headlights finishes at the suspension turret which also shares an earthing point with the wipers. The HID's produce some sort of electrical interference affecting the sensitive electronics inside the motor. Or something.

TEZ-1
Mar 13th, 2015, 15:52
Mine have been fitted for 18 months with no issues,however I did run a separate earth wire from the ballasts to the strut top just to be safe.

tuxx
Mar 13th, 2015, 16:03
Yep, it was 35w I had installed, but didn't use a different earth. I think, just as a precaution, I am going to put them into storage (in the bin!!)
I assume everyone has issues with the lights being bloomin' terrible in the S40.
I have tried lots of different bulbs, and have some 35W H8 (I'll fudge them in somehow) GP Thunder V2 7500K 8500K Platinum White bulbs coming over from the states, so I will let you know how I get on with them.......

Welton
Mar 13th, 2015, 16:46
Try my 'modification' to the standard headlamps. I'd say my headlamps are very good now.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=222031

Fat Magpie
Mar 13th, 2015, 16:58
I have heard of this before thou it affect an Audi and it damaged the wiper control system. Good point on moving the earth input to the ballast, if i may also suggest go to Maplins and get some capacitors, 63 micro Farad should do and connect them across the ballast 12 v input, these will have a smoothing effect killing any electrical noise the ballasts make.
They cost pence but be careful connecting them as the have a plus and minus, get it wrong and they go pop.

scooby
Mar 13th, 2015, 20:29
had mine in about 3 years now no problems did you earth them