PDA

View Full Version : Wheels/Tyres: - Tyre options for XC90

del0266
Aug 2nd, 2006, 16:41
Hi all

Has anybody got experience of alternatives to the standard Continental tyres (235/60 R18)? I need to replace four and have homed in on new set of Conti UHPs, Michelin Diamaris or Pirelli Scorpio Zeros.

I'm particlularly concerned at getting something that is a lot nosier - have heard some suggestion that this might be the case with the Scorpion Zeros but they're a lot cheaper so tempting!

Any comments or experiences you care to share?

Cheers

:unsure:

the great one
Aug 2nd, 2006, 18:25
the contis are the best but there £190 each approx fitted :hissyfit:

yatesspud
Aug 4th, 2006, 15:56
just replaced 2 front tyres on my xc90 at a cost of £148 each fitted, by just tyres colchester. they have a web page and online prices far better than anywhere else.

GJB
Aug 5th, 2006, 19:06
Try blackcircles .com they have scorpions fitted for about £133
GJB

CTCNetwork
Aug 5th, 2006, 21:44
Hi,

Remember that when you order your tyre via the internet, you will need to find a fitter to fit and dispose of the old tyre.
They will likely charge about a tenner a wheel.

Or if you know a good fitting shop, see what price they can get the tyre of your choice (as their price should include fit, valve and balance - but check), and how much they charge to fit your supplied tyre and compare.

Des. . . ;)

RollingThunder
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:40
I have used www.mytyres.co.uk for the past 3 years - they're very good price wise and delivery usually takes less than a week. For example, I've had a set of tyres fitted to my old 855 for less than it would cost to have 2 fitted at a Kwik Fit typre place.

They have a list of local independents who will fit the tyres for you (including disposal of old ones) - I paid £5 a wheel - removal of old tyre, fittiing new one including new valve and balancing, and disposal of old tyres.

Can't fault them!

Finally, when comparing tyre reviews, don't forget that tyres behave very differently across different sizes, so make sure you compare like with like. In your case 235/60x18 with 235/60x18...

Hope this helps,

del0266
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:21
Thanks for all who replied. Have found a local supplier (Protyre, Poole) who will ift Continental UHP's for £152 per tyre so I've decided to go for this as it's not much more expensive than the Scorpions.

Incidentally I found comments on US websites where Scorpions were highly rated by everyone except XC90 drivers who found them particuallry nosiy afetr around 6000 miles. Seems like it was unique to the car/tyre combination.

JsR
Aug 15th, 2006, 08:46
Had to replace the tyres just after making the deal, in June, to change to an XC70. The dealer was quite happy (from a resale point of view) that the car be fitted with Nokians (NRVi, 235/60/R18 107V XL). I fitted them (£78 each, all inclusive, from Harris Bros in Swansea) and personally don't find them any different in noise to the original Contis (which lasted 17,000 miles). I do mainly town driving and would be more than happy to fit them again to a car I intended to keep. I've tried them (modestly) for grip and they seem fine.

regards

John R

mikeshw
Nov 15th, 2006, 04:03
I am writing purely from experience in using the Continental (factory-fitted) and Pirellis ones. I personally found the Continentals to be a much better set of tyres grip wise. I found the Pirellis to be too soft and too much tyre noise at low speed despite having the bearings replaced. The service centre attributed it to the tyres and suggested I have them changed.

I am now looking at Goodyear Wranglers and wondering how they are.

My XC90 is an '03 model, btw :)

yeoman
Nov 16th, 2006, 04:25
I am writing purely from experience in using the Continental (factory-fitted) and Pirellis ones. I personally found the Continentals to be a much better set of tyres grip wise. I found the Pirellis to be too soft and too much tyre noise at low speed despite having the bearings replaced. The service centre attributed it to the tyres and suggested I have them changed.

I am now looking at Goodyear Wranglers and wondering how they are.

My XC90 is an '03 model, btw :)

hello,

I recently changed all four tyres and replaced my conti's with nokians(75 quid each)
So far, I am very happy with the nokian tyres.Noise levels are equivalent to the conti's ( I think)

topkat
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:01
I have a T6 and the front left tyre was history at 20000k's..even though I rotated the tyres every 5000k's!
I replaced them with Scorpion Zeros which I imported from the USA (Im in New Zealand)..The Pirellis are quieter and have better traction..and and more importantly are showing little signs of wear at 12000k's.I hope to get 50000k's from these Why dont Volvo dump Continentals for Pirellis?? Oh , and they were 20% cheaper..go figure!.
Hi all

Has anybody got experience of alternatives to the standard Continental tyres (235/60 R18)? I need to replace four and have homed in on new set of Conti UHPs, Michelin Diamaris or Pirelli Scorpio Zeros.

I'm particlularly concerned at getting something that is a lot nosier - have heard some suggestion that this might be the case with the Scorpion Zeros but they're a lot cheaper so tempting!

Any comments or experiences you care to share?

Cheers

:unsure: