PDA

View Full Version : V50 Engine 2.0D : - Turbo self destruct

Van Dragger
Apr 7th, 2015, 18:56
I have had my turbo spectacularly self destruct leaving a perfect black smoke screen across three lanes of the M5. :lightning:
Reading different threads on here it seems that I have been lucky to get the 193000 miles of virtually trouble free motoring from my v50 55plate 2.0D.
I am considering putting a used turbo on from a low mileage donor with new oil feed and return pipes. My question is, is there anything else I will need to do or replace, or am I asking for trouble?

Many thanks in advance :thumbs_up:

BJB
Apr 7th, 2015, 20:26
Thought is was usually white from turbo, due to oil going up the exhaust and burning ,after the seals collapsing ?. My lads Megane let go, leaving almost 1 Ltr of oil in the main silencer. Took ages to clear system, and had to change Cat and silencer.

Welton
Apr 8th, 2015, 13:09
You should at least flush out the intercooler and try to empty the exhaust of oil just to save on the mess etc. assuming the engine went nuts and revved on the limiter it's not ideal and some might say the injectors could get gummed up with oil residue maybe but I think if the car is ok otherwise it'd be worth trying a new turbo but don't go to too much trouble with things until you've heard the engine running again etc..

You might be lucky and spend say, £300.00 and get another 20K miles out of it.

Van Dragger
Apr 8th, 2015, 22:23
Thanks Both. Yes the engine did try to go nuts when dipped the clutch but I noticed it before the revs reached 3K, dumped the clutch and held it on the brakes. Sounds like I've got to take the punt on it cheers