PDA

View Full Version : P1800 control arm bushing

phatmendus
Jan 30th, 2005, 14:57
I am replacing the control arm bushes on the lower front wishbones of my p1800e. This is the first time that I have changed these and although I have managed to remove the old bushes by using a butane torch and a hammer, I cannot put the new ones in as the hole in the wishbone is too tight. Is the only way to do this is to heat the wishbone hole with an oxyacetylene flame to get it hot enough or is there an easier way of inserting them. Any advice on how others have gone about this would be greatfully recived. I have alredy tried oil, clamps to push it in, etc, but no luck!

thanks

Simon

night owl
Jan 30th, 2005, 15:07
DON'T heat the hole in the wishbone as if it's to hot it will melt the rubber on the new bushes which will render them useless. Best bet is to use grease, vaseline or some sort of it on both the bush and the hole and then use a big vice to push them home. It is a bit of a hard job to start but once they're on their way they will go, but whatever you do DON'T HEAT THEM!!

mike gilbert
Jan 30th, 2005, 16:09
I agree you must not heat the wishbone like that for several reasons, ruining the holes, ruining the new bushes asnd generally weakening the wishbones. You will have to bite the bullet and pay a local engineering firm with a proper press to do the job for you. It should not cost very much, costs me about £10-£15.
Mike Gilbert.

classicswede
Mar 4th, 2005, 22:55
hi iwould suggest going to machine shop as you will need a very strong vice and good selection of sockets/tubes for pressing.If you hade not pressed out the origial shells i'd recomend useing poly bushes as they are a lot better, last longer and best of all much simpler to fit no pressing required. dai