PDA

View Full Version : BIG SIX IS BACK !!!!!:-)

Dave M
Nov 23rd, 2002, 23:47
Well .... I finally made it, It's back on the road again (and no it doesn't need pushed , nor did I cut holes in the floor for pedals!!!Wiseguys!!)

My advice is not to try this at home "Kiddies" unless you really want BIG style heartache!!!

How did I manage it? Well.... it comes of having a good partner for a start, that loves cars and getting in amongst the repairs!! (Betch'ya wish you had one of these Don't Ya??:7 )

So here's what I've found out... remove the air filter box, the AFM , and all hoses that connect this. Remove the Positive terminal only for safety. Then use the extra pair of hands that you've gained and offer the "on top" position or underneath ;-) this then allows a second pair of hands to hold and support the "Offending Item" whilst the other pair of hands screw in the allen bolts. THIS WORKS!! }(

It took the pair of us only 30mins to get it fitted, then the rest was as per the Haynes manual "Reinstallation is the reversal of removal" Take the air filter box out of the way, it allows a tremendous amount of room to manoeuvre and gain access to this "Pain in the Neck" !! (Not The Partner!!!) It's only taken three weeks to get mobile again :(

Now I've got a problem with the only working heated seat ( And it would be hers now wouldn't it??) It's stopped working, no lights when the switch is pressed and no power to the chair;( Mine's never worked but the switch has always worked... but you can't switch them over as the bayonet plug is different, and I'm not one for cutting n' shutting!! So who wanna talk about 760's Now then??? C'mon.. Bring it on!! }(

Regards
Dave M

George Holmer
Nov 23rd, 2002, 23:59
Well, non-functioning heated seats usualy is a relay issue. I installed fully electric seats in my turbodiesel from a 1990 760 and I want the heat but still cannot figure out how to do it. My car has a common relay for the seat heaters by the handbrake and then two cables to each seat but these new seats have individual relays. One of these days I might just pull it all out and make it work.

Yes, I do sometimes wish that my wife would be interested or at least supportive. When I had spent all day installing electric seats and then electric windows in the car, I wanted someone to tell me I had done a good job, but all she could come up with was "I hope it won't blow up!" Yeah, like you hear about mother-of-three Susan who died after her car blew up on the M5. Reason: her plonker of a husband had wired the electric windows incorrectly.

George

Resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler

DaveBurton
Nov 25th, 2002, 19:53
Well I was nearly right, my other half will pass the odd spanner or make a nice cuppa and offer much needed sympathy and somtimes praise, glad it all turned out for the best.
happy motoring
dave :-)

Dave M
Nov 25th, 2002, 20:28
Why, thank kind Sir:D

How's yours coming along?? Is it back from the spray booth yet?? Nice & Shiney mmmmmmm:D

Regards
Dave M

DaveBurton
Nov 27th, 2002, 19:36
Yes she came back a few days ago looking like the day she left the factory. Still got to sort the roof lining but she looks great :D :D