PDA

View Full Version : XC90 (2002) - Multiple Electrical Issues

AlexArnold
Oct 12th, 2015, 22:42
Hi all,

My wife's XC90 on a 52 plate seems to be gathering electrical faults and we're after a little advice. I have a feeling it may be an issue with the wiring loom.

First thing was the airbag warning light stayed on. It was fixed by an auto electrician but returned the same week. Next the ESP started kicking in within the first 5 minutes of most journeys, even on good road conditions. This feels like the power is cut and you struggle to go over 20 MPH.

Next the clock starts cycling through the time throughout a drive. Then most recently the trip computer has started freaking out, the electric windows work intermittently and now indicators tend not to work.

I think we have mice who like eating electrical wires.

Please let me know your thoughts and potential costs we could be in for. We live in Tiptree, Essex, CM9 8EX and any auto electrician recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

cassell
Oct 13th, 2015, 13:15
Hi,

I think that there was a water ingress problem on early XC90's which affected the CEM which is on the bulkhead inside the car, most were recalled by Volvo for a fix, your's may have missed this and is now getting multiple circuit failures.

Perhaps someone can confirm and give you details on how to rectify the problem?

Paul

JohnL
Oct 13th, 2015, 14:14
Send a message to this guy he's in East London area, he can fix an electrical issue, it just be the instrument panel playing up as they do.
He's sometimes on this site.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/

John

oragex
Oct 13th, 2015, 15:41
I had the clock doing the time traveling thing, given it's a 2002 it might be the DIM failure. I suspect this is independent of all other issues.

For the rest, the CEM can be visually inspected for water leaking - Youtube shows how to remove it and if there was water dripping on it it will be visible too.

I would inspect the serpentine belt pulleys and then measure the alternator voltage. When it goes bad, it's known to trigger several electrical gremlins.

AlexArnold
Oct 14th, 2015, 23:05
Thanks everyone, some great pointers there. Looks like a few jobs for the weekend. I'll let you know what I find, cheers.