PDA

View Full Version : Front brake disc. Inner side

Mike A
Oct 20th, 2015, 17:27
On inspection of front discs inner side the outer edge approx 20mm looks as though the pads not covering this area as anyone com across this? outer face of disc iS fully shiny
Cheers

Jensencars
Oct 20th, 2015, 21:00
Hi
Had this on my s60 garage doing mot told me it's the pads not moving quite freely enough in the calliper housing, was told to strip and clean took the pads out cleaned off all the rust / dust etc rectified the problem for me
Maybe of use

Rooster
Oct 20th, 2015, 21:15
Quiet common, most of them do it,

My old discs and pads there was only about 15mm of the inner surface been used,

Fitted new discs and pads and been on a year and abit and there doing same altho not as bad as previous set and pads are free in carriers

Mike A
Oct 21st, 2015, 16:28
Thanks for input ... Not sure what to think as inner pad is clip into piston so I assume travel is fixed straght onto disc

Jensencars
Oct 22nd, 2015, 15:42
I think the pad lugs still have to move in and out within the slides/ springs even though it's fixed on that side imo.

binty
Oct 24th, 2015, 23:09
Hi exactly same issue with mine.
I replaced discs and pads last week.
Inner pads clip into piston, outer pads clip into sliding mounting, but both pads have lugs top and bottom that seat into the fixed brake calliper carrier.
It is quite a rough casting and had lots of 'crud' that needed to be wire brushed off.
The difference between state when I removed the pads, to when i put the new ones in was significant.
As always I used a little copper grease on the contact points between the pads and fixed carrier.
If the discs are still ok it is a simple job to remove the pads and clean everything up.
You will just need to remove the wheel, then the two slider pins on the calliper, (mine were a 7mm hex (allen key) but I understand some are different sizes).
remove the spring clip on the outside by levering the middle out first and piston assembly can then be pulled off to access everything you need.
(Tip I used a wire coat hanger to tie the piston assembly to the road spring to avoid putting strain on the hydraulic hose whilst I was cleaning uo the fixed carrier).
Good luck

Mike A
Oct 25th, 2015, 12:17
Thanks for all your help guys