PDA

View Full Version : V50 Engine Turbo : - Turbo failure or what?? Help!!

Lotta78
Nov 21st, 2015, 19:51
Hi.
Bought a 2006 V50 1.6 Diesel last year, had already a new Turbo fitted sometime previous years (not sure when though). Anyway, the last few weeks my fuel consumption went way up, from an average of around 5.6 l/100 km to 6.7 l/100 km (sorry, no idea how many miles per litre that is!).

Went to my normal garage, the guy there just quickly peeked into the engine and said it's because I am doing more urban driving than previously (hmmm... maybe a little more, didnt think it would affect it that much though??!) and because the weather has gotten colder (not that much, either??!!)...

Also thought I noticed an ever so slight loss of power, but not very obvious, so wasnt sure in myself.

Anyway, I am studying at the moment, so not too well off with the cash. Thought I'd give it another while and observe.

Full service done week before last, with oil change and filter change and everything. Thought the fuel consumption would improve after, but only steadily got worse.

Well, today I went to drive back home, starting a 1,5 hour journey - and suddenly the power went. I barely was able to get up hills, had to push acceleration fully down to the floor, needed a loooong way to gain speed, and fuel consumption suddently went wayyyy down with it (we are talking averaging between 0.0 and 5.1 l/100 km) - both at the same time.

Didnt notice any white or black smoke, no strange noises, no lights coming on on the dashboard. Nothing!

Especially around the 2000 mark usually the turbo used to kick in, ie it used to "pull" lovely around the 2000, but now its just like really slooooow coming into gear...

Now my questions:
1) Am I right in my impression it will most possibly be a turbo failure?
2) Can I still drive the car approximately 40 min drive to the garage, or will it completely wreck the engine?
3) How much will a new turbo for this type of car set me back, any rough ideas?
4) My two alternatives are a polish mechanic, I dont know him very well (ie dont know if he is good or not, but he seems to have a lot of newer and good cars in for repair, ie have seen Merc, BMW etc in there) or the Volvo main dealer... What would you recommend? Or any ideas how to find a Volvo trained "normal" (non-main dealer) guy anywhere here in County Kerry/Ireland? I've tried and wasnt very lucky...
5) If it is a turbo failure, does the oil and oil filters automatically have to be done, too? Only asking as my polish mechanic has done a full service (including these bits of course) only week before last!!!

Absolute at a loss, love my car but this is heart wrenching now...
Thanks so much for any advice!!!

alfadave11
Nov 21st, 2015, 20:18
my advice is this
if your car feels flat ie turbo not kicking in ..it can be of a few issues
map sensor is full of crud typical of diesels ...this needs cleaning out with petrol ....minor issue is inlet ar temp sensor ..do that as well
variable vane in turbo is stuck or not being actuated ..that can be excess soot or vacuum leak in lines ..this can be checked by looking at actuator when starting ..actuator on turbo should move 15mm almost immeadiately ..then turn engine off and actuator should stay in same position for a few seconds then when vacuum is released actuator moves back
another issue can be MAF sensor ..this reads air flow consumed by engine and is critical on a diesel as this is a large parameter that ecu reads from ..so work through the list by checking

alfadave11
Nov 21st, 2015, 20:27
I think you may have issue with fuel filter ...check no air bubbles in return line when its ticking over

Lotta78
Nov 21st, 2015, 20:49
Thanks a lot alfadave ! Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what you were saying!! ��

So, just to recap - I kind of got the sense that you don't necessarily think it's the turbo??

The fuel filter was changed with the service week before last week though...

Do you think it's safe enough not to consult the main dealer's garage and go to the independent polish fella?? Or what would you recommend?

And with any of these issues you mentioned above, do you think it'll be safe to drive the car max 40 mins to garage??

Thanks so much!!

alfadave11
Nov 21st, 2015, 21:58
Thanks a lot alfadave ! Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what you were saying!! ��

So, just to recap - I kind of got the sense that you don't necessarily think it's the turbo??

The fuel filter was changed with the service week before last week though...

Do you think it's safe enough not to consult the main dealer's garage and go to the independent polish fella?? Or what would you recommend?

And with any of these issues you mentioned above, do you think it'll be safe to drive the car max 40 mins to garage??

Thanks so much!!

these things ive mentioned you can check yourself apart from MAF sensor..

Lotta78
Nov 21st, 2015, 22:17
Thanks, but I'm a complete lay person when it comes to cars! I just about know where my oil has to be checked with that long stick, and where to fill in the water for windwipers!! 🙈😀