PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) General : - S40 Annoying Seatbelt Rattle

KAMoore
Sep 8th, 2006, 13:02
I need to inspect the seatbelt roller mechanism on my 2005 S40 1.8 due to an annoying rattle from inside the seatbelt mechanism. The rattle occurs with slight movement of the seatbelt. Removing the bezel (where the seatbelt goes through the side panel) from the top side panel allows me to view the mechanism, but I can't inspect it properly unless the top side panel is removed. I can only find 1 retaining screw at the top of the side panel and can't find how it is secured at the bottom. Perhaps the bottom of the panel is held in place by clips and just needs a good pull to remove, but I don't want to try this (without knowing) in case I break the plastic panel.

Is a seatbelt rattle common on the new type S40. If there is excessive play in the seatbelt roller mechanism can anything be done to eliminate the free play or does the seatbelt have to be replaced

Any help appreciated

7050man
Sep 8th, 2006, 17:08
No ratles from my my06 V50. However are you really sure that you want to take the trim and/or roller clutch assy apart? Let the dealer do it and don't potentially invalidate your warrenty.

ptecuk
Oct 10th, 2006, 19:56
I have same seat belt rattle on my 2005 S40 2.0D SE Sport. It occurs on very slight movement of the belt. It is only noticeable when stationary or at low speed with low road noise. It is present on the passenger side as well. Most of the time I don't notice it, but will ask dealer to resolve at next service.

v50andproud
Dec 7th, 2006, 19:26
Volvo is supposed to be looking into a solution according to my dealer. They have been for the last 40.000 km! Apparently this is not an easy thing to fix? I suspect the entire casing for the B-pillar is acting as a sound board.

Anyone heard of any TSB covering this?

Regards v50andproud

Multiplex
Dec 12th, 2006, 17:44
Its caused by the panel/slot where the seat belt passes through the B post. New panels are under development and are expected soon.

tolis
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:10
We have the same problem with our new Volvo S40 1.8 (MY 2007) from the first time.The problem does not come out from the driver's seatbelt but from the one of the passenger.There is also a noise coming from the rear seatbelt on the right side...This rattle does not come from the movement of the human body but only when the car comes across road bumps.And there are plenty of them in Athens...As soon as I press in the plastic where it says SIPS Airbag the rattle sometimes stops.Only pressing a little with my fingers...I am afraid that if we (because the car is used by parents,I am 20 yo) tell this incident to the dealer they will tell us fool...