View Full Version : Advice on which Amazon to buy

timnor
Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:58
Hello,

I have the chance to choose between two Amazons. I don't have
all the details yet as I've only seen picture of the cars but
I wanted to ask if anyone had any thoughts which model might
be a better buy. I've got no idea if the price these cars
are being offered is fair ? Any comments /suggestions most welcome.

Perhaps I should add I'm not a great hobby mechanic, I'd like
a reliable oldtimer that won't cost me an arm and a leg to keep
running.

Car 1 is 55 kW (75 PS), 06/68, Blue , 2/3 Doors and has
stood 15 years in a garage. According to the owner there is
almost no rust on screws, bolts body. Engine runs. @3000 Euro

Car 2 is a 1971 123GT with overdrive and apparently special 5 1/2
Zoll wheels which were an added option (very rare ???) @4000 Euro.

stuart131
Feb 22nd, 2005, 15:19
Personally Id go for the GT with the overdrive ,quicker and more desireable Amazons are tough ,reliable and if regularly serviced and the oil changed etc will go on and on mechanically for many thousands of miles .
Believe me ,over drive is an absolute godsend for relaxed cruising.
Im not sure about the price but a good Amazon will cost £2500 to £3500 usually over here .
Like you I am not good with mechanics so do the usual checks run the engine ,look for smoking(sign of worn rings /valves ) ,oil leaks and easy starting from cold .Check the condition of the wiring and make sure all the electric equipment works. Go on a test drive of at least half an hour and make sure the temp guage stays central and again ,all electrics still work.
Check the body work carefully for rust especially the rear wheel arches,spare wheel well and the front wings /door bottoms /sills HAVE A GOOD long LOOK .
Based on recent experience have a good poke round the suspension arms and track rods for corrosion as easy but expensive to replace .
If a car has all bills and MOT reports this helps as you can see how wellit has been looked after .
I use my Amazon constantly and thoroughly recommend this fabulous car
as a daily driver good luck .....but whatever you do BUY ONE !!!!!
Best regards

Stuart Read
Feb 22nd, 2005, 19:52
Hi

I'd be a little suspicious of 1971 123GT as they were only made in 1967 and 1968!

Stuart

TomTom
Feb 23rd, 2005, 11:13
Here are some thoughts:

Rust rust rust above all. Mechanicals are generally cheaper to fix, bodywork is not. Also trim quality is important, because that is scarce to replace.

I would always go for a sound car over one with bells and whistles but bad bodywork and a tatty interior.

Don't take the owner's word. Put on some old clothes, pack a torch and a rubber hammer and then go get underneath it and have a poke around. Check under the dashboard for signs of a leaking screen which may cause expensive rot. Lift up the carpets or rubber mats. If the owner doesn't want you to left the carpets then walk away.

In terms of power, any Amazon running a B20 and twin carbs will be roughly the same as a 123GT. But check it really is a 123GT. There are lots of ways of checking, the wheels being the last ones. The badge 123GT was apparently sold in Switzerland up to 1970, but the "real" 123GT was only sold in 1967/68 with a B18B engine. I'm not sure where that 1971 comes from.

Be a bit wary of a car that has stood. Dry storing in the warm is OK, but storing in a damp garage may be bad for the paint and therefore the body. If the car has not been driven regularly you will need to recommission it. This is a good starting article:
http://www.intelab.com/swem/Reviving%20a%20'decomissioned'%20Volvo.htm

If you don't do the work yourself, and the car needs quite a lot of checking (brakes, clutch etc) then this can be pricey.

I agree on Overdrive, it's a godsend.

It may be a good idea to invite someone who knows a lot about these cars to accompany you for the check. Could save you dividends.

God luck with your purchase. There are lots of Amazons around, so buy the best one you can afford.

Tom