PDA

View Full Version : Relays.

arcturus
Apr 10th, 2016, 19:28
Instead of having a separate relay for each device with a 6mm lead feeding off battery for each one is there a multiple relay block available with only one shared common input lead? ie. I have one relay for main, one for dip. if I connect up my fog and spot I would need four relays, each with their own dedicated power lead.

arcturus
Apr 11th, 2016, 10:59
Is the relay box the sort of thing I should be looking at?

Ron Kwas
Apr 11th, 2016, 14:23
Arcturus;

Th relay box would neaten things up, but is really not necessary...as are separate supply wires...don't forget, Main Beam and Dipped Beam are not ON at the same time...neither are Fog and Spot...so one supply wire for each pair would be fine.

Cheers

arcturus
Apr 11th, 2016, 14:58
So it would be OK to use piggyback blade connectors to connect the two relays? I couldn't find any yellow here and they were not in the book. will look on line.

northNH
Apr 12th, 2016, 02:08
If you're somewhat ambitious, you can easily modify your headlight circuitry to eliminate those dinky relays and eliminate the foot dip switch, in order to end up with much improved high/low beam switching and high beam flashing, all controlled by the directional switch headlight flasher and a single larger relay.

All 140s and 240s/740s have the appropriate 6-connector "stepping" headlight relay you need, and any 140/240 wiring diagram will show you how simple this is to do.

arcturus
Apr 12th, 2016, 09:38
If you're somewhat ambitious, you can easily modify your headlight circuitry to eliminate those dinky relays and eliminate the foot dip switch, in order to end up with much improved high/low beam switching and high beam flashing, all controlled by the directional switch headlight flasher and a single larger relay.

All 140s and 240s/740s have the appropriate 6-connector "stepping" headlight relay you need, and any 140/240 wiring diagram will show you how simple this is to do.

Unfortunately my PV is 6 volt. No plans to change that.

northNH
Apr 12th, 2016, 14:20
While in general I agree that 6 volts is unfortunate, it is still enough to use this setup...
The stepping relay, the only part you need, will be just as happy working with only 6 volts, as long as they're strong well-fed volts...