PDA

View Full Version : Original Sensus Maps update

Pages : [1] 2

wimorrison
Jun 9th, 2016, 19:01
Apparently there is a software update for pre-Sensus Connect satnavs i.e from my11 to my14.5 which allows you to use the USB socket to update the maps free of charge using the same maps that Sensus Connect uses.

Might be worth someone with one of these models pinging their dealer to get more information :)

andymcp
Jun 9th, 2016, 20:08
Very useful, thanks. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say, would be a useful addition to Mrs McP's V40.

TimS
Jun 9th, 2016, 20:10
Yes, the 4-DVD systems that are pin-protected (approx MY 2012-2014) can now be software-updated to be USB-updatable with the free maps!

http://support.volvocars.com/forum/t...es--price.aspx refers.

Phoned my local dealer yesterday; they weren't aware until I pointed it out. Very helpful, car's booked in for the update. Cost is very reasonable too - I got a discount for bringing it to their attention, so not fair to post it here.

The dealer update takes several hours, & is S/W plus maps. Then subsequent maps can be downloaded via USB in the comfort of your own home.

Electronix12
Jun 9th, 2016, 20:44
Oooh.

Might have this done. Wasn't in a million years going to pay the original amount for the disks!

Crumpet
Jun 10th, 2016, 07:26
Could you please repost the Volvo support link? It appears to have been shortened and doesn't work?

Thanks

Never mind found it:

http://support.volvocars.com/forum/topic258-sensus-rti-map-updates--price.aspx

And the link to download the maps after you have the update is:-

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/downloads/pages/downloads-area.aspx?csid=iam21&cstype=map&cscount=8#mapdownloaddetails&56fe738aef91100fd07866e2

Voltan
Jun 10th, 2016, 09:14
This is welcome news! With several superior free map products available for smart phones and iPads, I doubt many owners would pay the price Volvo wanted for the DVD updates as it doesn't represent good value for money. I stopped updating after my 2 free updates and I am currently on 2012 maps so an update would be useful.

My cars booked in next week for its annual service so I'll try and get the update then.

Thanks for the info!

jjb
Jun 10th, 2016, 10:11
Apparently there is a software update for pre-Sensus Connect satnavs i.e from my11 to my14.5 which allows you to use the USB socket to update the maps free of charge using the same maps that Sensus Connect uses.

Might be worth someone with one of these models pinging their dealer to get more information :)

Hi,
That is such great news. Do you know if this update gives any other advantages? i.e. like internet connection through Bluetooth,or send to maps, or any updates to the Sensus menus/options?

TimS
Jun 10th, 2016, 10:18
Do you know if this update gives any other advantages?

Mine's being done on the 4th July. I'll report back.

Crumpet
Jun 10th, 2016, 10:29
Mill Volvo in Newcastle deny all knowledge of the update

Mill Volvo in Sunderland have arranged to get mine done at £85, the update is purely software no hardware and just allows the USB updates, no new features like wifi or Internet

Voltan
Jun 10th, 2016, 10:39
Mill Volvo in Newcastle deny all knowledge of the update

Mill Volvo in Sunderland have arranged to get mine done at £85, the update is purely software no hardware and just allows the USB updates, no new features like wifi or Internet

I was just about to phone my dealer to enquire so having a target price, which still, to me, seems expensive for an update , is very useful. Is this price mainly labour, do you know?

Voltan
Jun 10th, 2016, 10:40
Mine's being done on the 4th July. I'll report back.

Hi TimS.
Did they quote you a price?

Crumpet
Jun 10th, 2016, 10:43
Apparently it only takes about 30 mins, so I don't think it's labour. I presume this is just for the software, not the software plus maps as I presume that would take much longer.

The subsequent maps are free from the link I posted above, hopefully Mill Volvo in Newcastle might offer a competitor price on Monday once they discover the update.

jjb
Jun 10th, 2016, 10:44
Should it be done for free if the car is in for a service?

wimorrison
Jun 10th, 2016, 10:58

You could try but I fear that upgrades to functionality which are not related to the car e.g. Safety, engine or gearbox are not included in the update promise.

Certainly people here have observed that they had to pay for infotainment system upgrades.

TimS
Jun 10th, 2016, 10:59

It's a chargable update, since the dealer has to 'order' it from the mothership. It also takes a while, owing to the large download, so I can understand dealers not automatically offering it as part of a service. It would of course make sense to discuss the option if a customer books a service.

Donald's of Ipswich are doing mine; they were unaware of it until I phoned, but the service department were really helpful when I pointed out the info on the Volvo support site cited above.

My 2014 maps are fine in East Anglia where we've only recently moved away from horse-drawn carts, but recently in France and Wales they were starting to get out of step with the roads, so this is a really welcome update.

Voltan
Jun 10th, 2016, 11:04

I don't think so. Nor will it be covered under any warranty. There was discussion some time ago here, about software updates and the consensus was that unless it was to rectify a fault, infotainment updates/upgrades were not free. Several years ago, I was not charged for an upgrade to Sensus 3 from the previous version but the previous version was buggy.

Electronix12
Jun 10th, 2016, 14:27
What's to stop me doing this myself if i buy the download via Volvos new portal and using my DICE device?

Crumpet
Jun 10th, 2016, 14:40
Which portal is that?

TimS
Jun 10th, 2016, 14:53
Hi TimS.
Did they quote you a price?

They quoted £75.54, although knocked a little off subsequently because I'd alerted them about this relatively new update. I bought the car new from them, and it's had all its three services there, so there might be some goodwill involved in that quote; I don't know. Seeing as the update seems very new, I suspect some dealers won't know about it. Donalds get a thumbs-up because they didn't simply tell me it's not available.

Crumpet
Jun 10th, 2016, 15:05
Mill Newcastle were almost agressive in their denial of its existence!

Electronix12
Jun 10th, 2016, 15:46
Which portal is that?

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm?event=info.subscriptions.vidaPricing

Might be USA only, but given you can't get VIDA beyond version 2014D it must be coming to the UK at some point.

My local dealer has been having issues with VIDA portal today, down apparently... but will get back to me re-price today he assures me!

Voltan
Jun 10th, 2016, 17:34
I wonder if they stand to lose out by not selling the DVD upgrades any more, though I can't imagine it would be a big source of income for them...

Clan
Jun 10th, 2016, 18:20
I wonder if they stand to lose out by not selling the DVD upgrades any more, though I can't imagine it would be a big source of income for them...

It won't bother them , they wouldn't stock something like that ..

NigelDay
Jun 10th, 2016, 19:46
This is typical of Mill Garages. I avoid them like the plague.

Agouti
Jun 14th, 2016, 06:40
I wonder if the iGo upgrade will make it to where the backyard mechanics with VIDA systems of dubious legality will be able to do it on the cheap...

GJB
Jun 15th, 2016, 14:56
Anyone know what charge dealers are making?

andyg
Jun 15th, 2016, 16:50
Many thanks to the OP. It sounds like this method beats the previous 4 x DVD discs that take hours to load and BTW cost about £125 a set! (That is after the initial 2 free Mapcare updates.) It appears that my 2013 S80 is eligible for the USB method so I have asked Snows Salisbury for a quote to install the new satnav/infotainment software. I assume that this is all "new news" to them. Will report back when I get a reply.

Electronix12
Jun 15th, 2016, 18:51
Local dealer near me saying £65 for the update.

Shall be done next week hopefully.

Voltan
Jun 15th, 2016, 19:43
I have asked to have mine done tomorrow but they couldn't give me a price over the phone as they were not aware of the upgrade when I phoned up the other day. I'll have to discuss it at the dealer and having a guide price is very useful.

I have downloaded the maps 21GB in anticipation, so will report back on progress

Dctyke
Jun 15th, 2016, 20:32
Downloaded the program onto a usb stick however keep getting the message 'insert usb 1' on the car screen when I try to upload it, any help please?

GMcL
Jun 15th, 2016, 20:43
Has anyone actually had this software update and made a map update ?

The reason I ask is because previously the car would only recognise data on a stick when the stick was partitioned to FAT32 1GB I think it was. If the map file is > whatever the partition limit which , let's face it, is not huge by modern data standards how will the car read the USB stick ?

Voltan
Jun 15th, 2016, 21:28
Downloaded the program onto a usb stick however keep getting the message 'insert usb 1' on the car screen when I try to upload it, any help please?

Have you had the upgrade?

When you say 'program' the initial download is the download program to run on your PC. It is needed to download the maps to a USB stick or a portable HDD, formatted as FAT32. As I don't have a 32 GB stick, I created a disc image on my laptop to save the maps.

However, the maps will not load to the car's HDD until the IHU is updated by your Volvo dealer so I haven't tried installing to the car yet.

Charlie70
Jun 15th, 2016, 21:44
If it asks for 'insert usb 1' it means it started the install and the USB key was removed. If you insert the same USB key back in it resumes rather than starting from scratch. I had this this time when it seem to freeze, so I removed it and got that message.

TimS
Jun 15th, 2016, 21:51
Anyone know what charge dealers are making?

£75.54 (Donald's, Ipswich).

Includes the S/W update and installing the maps that are current at that time. Mine's being done on the 4th July.

Tresco85
Jun 15th, 2016, 22:28
I spoke to our dealer who did not know anything about it, they spoke to Volvo who said it needed 2 software updates but we're not sure and asked them to do the update and report back to them if it works and quoted about £80 for the update.

Voltan
Jun 15th, 2016, 22:47
I spoke to our dealer who did not know anything about it, they spoke to Volvo who said it needed 2 software updates but we're not sure and asked them to do the update and report back to them if it works and quoted about £80 for the update.

That doesn't sound very reassuring! What version of the Sensus system do you have? Do you have Sensus 3?

Tresco85
Jun 16th, 2016, 17:43
Don't know which version it is, it is was registered March 2013.

TimS
Jun 16th, 2016, 18:25
Mine (being updated next week) reports 0C72 with the maps at V30.14.02. When new, and before the two map updates, it was 0C72 Map V30.12.12.

cbos
Jun 17th, 2016, 07:38
Hi,
my first post to ask you if SENSUS System ask you a code number when you install update with USB stick ?
On my 2012 V60, maps are founded on USB Stick but a code is asking to start install.
Thanks

Voltan
Jun 17th, 2016, 13:43
Hi,
my first post to ask you if SENSUS System ask you a code number when you install update with USB stick ?
On my 2012 V60, maps are founded on USB Stick but a code is asking to start install.
Thanks

Assuming you have had the IHU updated correctly at a Volvo dealer, then no code should be needed as far as I can see. There is no mention of any code on the support site. Seehttp://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars/Pages/downloads-systems.aspx?cstype=map&mc=y413&my=2011&sw=10w20

rbcohen
Jun 17th, 2016, 14:03
Hi,
Thanks

I believe the latest update (2016 week 22?) is required, so that your system stops asking for a PIN.

(Ooops, Voltan got there before me).

GJB
Jun 17th, 2016, 14:18
Assuming you have had the IHU updated correctly at a Volvo dealer, then no code should be needed as far as I can see. There is no mention of any code on the support site. Seehttp://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars/Pages/downloads-systems.aspx?cstype=map&mc=y413&my=2011&sw=10w20

Same as you today had sensus update done by dealer and now down loading maps from USB (NO CODE NEEDED)

cbos
Jun 17th, 2016, 15:36
Thank you for your answers.
I have just call my dealer to have a rendez-vous for an IHU and IAM update.
I will come back to give you news.

TrueBlue
Jun 17th, 2016, 18:04
Same as you today had sensus update done by dealer and now down loading maps from USB (NO CODE NEEDED)

Moi aussi (what's that in Swedish...)
Even though I'd discussed the upgrade in detail last week, my dealer was incredulous - because there had been no notification of the facility from Volvo.
Quite understandable - you just can't have a customer walking in and saying (whatever). They went away and checked the details on the Volvo website - methinks they still didn't believe what I'd said, so the job took a bit longer.
When the IHU upgrade loaded AND the flash drive load didn't ask for a PIN, they were gobsmacked - and we all had a good laugh, perhaps with relief!

The load procedure takes 2 hours 55 and mine's not finished yet (1hr38 to go)

ALL that's needed is the IHU update plus, of course the 21GB download.

I was charged 1/2 hour labour, plus the cost of the IHU module software, so £70-£80 is about right.

Now to think about the tailgate mods: as mentioned elsewhere....

Go for it.

Voltan
Jun 17th, 2016, 20:21
Moi aussi (what's that in Swedish...)
Even though I'd discussed the upgrade in detail last week, my dealer was incredulous - because there had been no notification of the facility from Volvo.
Quite understandable - you just can't have a customer walking in and saying (whatever). They went away and checked the details on the Volvo website - methinks they still didn't believe what I'd said, so the job took a bit longer.
When the IHU upgrade loaded AND the flash drive load didn't ask for a PIN, they were gobsmacked - and we all had a good laugh, perhaps with relief!

The load procedure takes 2 hours 55 and mine's not finished yet (1hr38 to go)

ALL that's needed is the IHU update plus, of course the 21GB download.

I was charged 1/2 hour labour, plus the cost of the IHU module software, so £70-£80 is about right.

Now to think about the tailgate mods: as mentioned elsewhere....

Go for it.

I had my SatNav upgraded to the new IHU and IMA software today. My dealer was not aware of the update either until I brought it to their attention, but they sorted it out without any problems.

I had already downloaded the maps (21.6 GB) to my laptop where they resided in a folder. I copied the files within the folder to the root directory of a portable USB HDD as I don't have a 32GB USB drive. I plugged in the HDD and it proceeded to start installing the maps to the cars HDD, with no request for a PIN, reporting time to completio as 2hrs 55mins.

I must say that my dealer charged me substantially less than the prices quoted here, maybe because it was done during a service and they did not have to install the maps as I had downloaded and hopefully successfully, installed the maps myself.

Voltan
Jun 18th, 2016, 11:44
Just to report that I had the IHU and IAM updates yesterday for which I paid £22.53 + VAT. I have now SUCCESSFULLY installed the latest free maps in my MY11 XC60. A good deal, indeed!

TimS
Jun 18th, 2016, 12:28
Just to report that I had the IHU and IAM updates yesterday for which I paid £22.53 + VAT. I have now SUCCESSFULLY installed the latest free maps in my MY11 XC60. A good deal, indeed!

Much better price than I got. Dealer told me they have to do the maps at the same time as the update, which makes it a car-at-dealers-all-day job really. They are at least collecting the car. I'd have preferred to wait there while they did the S/W-only update, & then done the maps at home myself later.

GJB
Jun 18th, 2016, 12:54
Much better price than I got. Dealer told me they have to do the maps at the same time as the update, which makes it a car-at-dealers-all-day job really. They are at least collecting the car. I'd have preferred to wait there while they did the S/W-only update, & then done the maps at home myself later.

Think your dealer is telling porkies.
I had mine done by a dealer in Suffolk yesterday and he used my USB stick to start i and I drove home with it down loading have about 40 mins of download to go from about 3 hrs.
M R King

Voltan
Jun 18th, 2016, 15:11

It might be worth asking for a partial refund if they have misrepresented the job and garage time required. Perhaps my dealer was just being generous though!

Agouti
Jun 18th, 2016, 17:39
Just to be clear, post update you are still downloading the Sensus RTI update files (not the Sensus Navigation, 2014+)?

It looks like Australia & New Zealand might have been left out of this early Christmas from Volvo as following the menu system for my 2011 S60 leads you to http://support.volvocars.com/au/Pages/article.aspx?article=b82c716d0f6ac89ec0a801517c751 ed7 with no download to be seen and no mention of Sensus RTI at all - only iGo.

What is particularly interesting is a month back I'm sure that same page had an option for Sensus RTI which directed you to https://volvocars.navshop.com.au/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=116&cat=S60+%282011+onwards%29 where they sold the DVD and PIN for $295.

That same item is also now marked "out of stock" so maybe there is hope yet?

Voltan
Jun 18th, 2016, 23:10
Just to be clear, post update you are still downloading the Sensus RTI update files (not the Sensus Navigation, 2014+)?

Yes, it's the maps for the Sensus that I downloaded, not Sensus Navigation version, though I don't now how the content of the maps differs.

NigelDay
Jun 19th, 2016, 09:54
Yes, it's the maps for the Sensus that I downloaded, not Sensus Navigation version, though I don't now how the content of the maps differs.
As an example, the very latest version should show M5 Gloucester Services BOTH the earlier Northbound (2014) and the more recent Southbound (2015). The Southbound has only just appeared on the updated maps.

apersson850
Jun 19th, 2016, 16:19
I paid SEK 580 to get the software installed here in Sweden. Then another SEK 200 to buy myself a USB memory stick big enough.
After that no problem. Maps are now up to 30.16.04 version, which is the latest for Europé.

My car also got the feature that it can now turn on driver's seat heating automatically in cold weather. That feature wasn't in my car before, but came with the preliminary update required to install this particular software.

Some other minor updates too. My Bluetooth version went from 4.17 to 5.00 and the navigator software from 0903 to 1100.

Voltan
Jun 19th, 2016, 18:21
I paid SEK 580 to get the software installed here in Sweden. Then another SEK 200 to buy myself a USB memory stick big enough.
After that no problem. Maps are now up to 30.16.04 version, which is the latest for Europé.

My car also got the feature that it can now turn on driver's seat heating automatically in cold weather. That feature wasn't in my car before, but came with the preliminary update required to install this particular software.

Some other minor updates too. My Bluetooth version went from 4.17 to 5.00 and the navigator software from 0903 to 1100.

580 SEK equates to about £48 GBP so it seems I got a bargain with my upgrade at half that price! Must check out the heated seat feature to see if I have it...

I too have the auto heated seats option now available. They presumably come on below the 7ºC threshold as does the heated rear window. I'll probably have to wait till August up here in Scotland to see how it functions.

andymcp
Jun 19th, 2016, 22:16
Which dealer did you use? I will be getting my better half's V40 done soon so would be useful to know.

Voltan
Jun 19th, 2016, 23:10
Which dealer did you use? I will be getting my better half's V40 done soon so would be useful to know.

I use Murray Volvo, Edinburgh for my servicing. I honestly don't know why they charged me so little compared with prices quoted by others. They installed the IHU and IAM upgrade but not the maps for me.

apersson850
Jun 20th, 2016, 08:02
One thing worth knowing about is that contrary to updating via DVD, in the old way, this update channels the data from the USB port via the audio system to the navigator. This in turn disables the handsfree function via Bluetooth as long as the update is in progress. Functionality returns autmatically as soon as the process is completed.

rbcohen
Jun 20th, 2016, 18:45
Anyone know how long the software update takes without the map upgrade? I'm booked in for some diag at the dealership on Friday, but they're not able to do the update then because "they don't have a 32gb USB stick and it takes a while to download".

Would be happy to update the maps myself if they could do the software. Wondering if it's worth pursuing.

Crumpet
Jun 20th, 2016, 20:25
Has anyone had any success getting this done in the North East?

I have a quote for this to be done in Sunderland for £85

However:-

Mill Newcastle still claim it does not exist and cannot be done.
Volvo in York don't dispute it exists but say they do not have the ability to do it.
Volvo in Stockton don't believe it exists.
Volvo in Knareborough say it seems very unlikely and to ring back in a week.

I know I should just take it to Sunderland and be done with it, but surely Volvo should be publicising this update amongst their dealers?

apersson850
Jun 20th, 2016, 22:01
Anyone know how long the software update takes without the map upgrade? I'm booked in for some diag at the dealership on Friday, but they're not able to do the update then because "they don't have a 32gb USB stick and it takes a while to download".

Would be happy to update the maps myself if they could do the software. Wondering if it's worth pursuing.The software update is 15-45 minutes. The variation is due to the fact that it depends on the state of the car's other related software. If more things need to be updated before installing this one, it takes longer time.

Hers's a link to Volvo Sweden's web page, in English language, where the update is listed for an XC70 from 2012 (like my car). Maybe that's useful to convince stubborn dealers that they are living in the past. An article number is included for the update.

RTI update (http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-se/XC70(08-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-493687/2012/D5%20AWD/Automatic)

I did of course get the software update only at Volvo. Downloading the maps and installing them I did myself. Download takes half an hour on 100 Mbit/s internet connection. Eight hours with 8 Mbit/s ADSL. It took longer to transfer to my rather low-spec USB memory stick, and even longer (nearly three hours) to transfer and install the data from the USB to the hard drive in the car.

Clan
Jun 20th, 2016, 22:10
The software update is 15-45 minutes. The variation is due to the fact that it depends on the state of the car's other related software. If more things need to be updated before installing this one, it takes longer time.

Hers's a link to Volvo Sweden's web page, in English language, where the update is listed for an XC70 from 2012 (like my car). Maybe that's useful to convince stubborn dealers that they are living in the past. An article number is included for the update.

RTI update (http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-se/XC70(08-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-493687/2012/D5%20AWD/Automatic)

I did of course get the software update only at Volvo. Downloading the maps and installing them I did myself. Download takes half an hour on 100 Mbit/s internet connection. Eight hours with 8 Mbit/s ADSL. It took longer to transfer to my rather low-spec USB memory stick, and even longer (nearly three hours) to transfer and install the data from the USB to the hard drive in the car.

Here is the UK link

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb/XC60/Accessories/Document/VCC-493687/2012

apersson850
Jun 20th, 2016, 22:22
Yes. Same thing, just a different car model. You have to specify what you have to get the correct product. My car should actually go into another section of this forum.

Voltan
Jun 20th, 2016, 23:33
Has anyone had any success getting this done in the North East?

I have a quote for this to be done in Sunderland for £85

However:-

Mill Newcastle still claim it does not exist and cannot be done.
Volvo in York don't dispute it exists but say they do not have the ability to do it.
Volvo in Stockton don't believe it exists.
Volvo in Knareborough say it seems very unlikely and to ring back in a week.

I know I should just take it to Sunderland and be done with it, but surely Volvo should be publicising this update amongst their dealers?

It seems daft that you hav so much trouble getting this done. My dealer, Murray Volvo in Edinburgh (probably too far for you) didn't know about it when I enquired but located it no problem for my XC60 '11 which has Sensus 3. Any Volvo dealer who provides servicing should have the VIDA equipment to do the updates so I would worry about the quality of York Volvo servicing.

I would take my smart phone or tablet with me to the dealers who deny its existence and have the satisfaction of witnessing their embarrassment by showing them this thread and the links contained herein.

Whoever does it in the end, remember, don't pay them to download the maps for you as you can do it yourself. If you don't have a 32 GB usb memory stick you can get one for around a tenner from Maplin, for example.

cbos
Jun 21st, 2016, 16:40

I have just got back my V60 from dealer with IHU update and you are right, my USB key is recognized and no PIN required. Now I have to update Maps.

Before
http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_438593before.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=438593before.jpg)
After
http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_846236after.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=846236after.jpg)

:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up: Thanks

rbcohen
Jun 21st, 2016, 18:23
Perhaps a stupid question, but when upgrading the sat nav from USB stick, do you just leave the car with the ignition on position I or II for the 3 hours it takes?

Dctyke
Jun 21st, 2016, 20:13
Perhaps a stupid question, but when upgrading the sat nav from USB stick, do you just leave the car with the ignition on position I or II for the 3 hours it takes?

Mine took 1hr 20mins, did a drive to the north York moors. Nice day out and job done. Ps, you can turn the car off and restart the upload where you ended without any problems.

MrBell31
Jun 22nd, 2016, 15:56
Just a daft question, im thinking of buying a brand new XC60 D4 soon and im just wondering would the USB stick software be on the car i buy or would i have to do what all you guy have done and get an update done?

TrueBlue
Jun 22nd, 2016, 18:12
Just a daft question, im thinking of buying a brand new XC60 D4 soon and im just wondering would the USB stick software be on the car i buy or would i have to do what all you guy have done and get an update done?

No; sensus Connect models (your new car) has free maps until 2025 or thereabouts. a more exact date is on the preamble on the link pages.

apersson850
Jun 22nd, 2016, 20:59
The last few years this feature has been a standard item. What Volvo is offering now is upgrading the older ones, which didn't have this capability from the beginning.

andyg
Jun 23rd, 2016, 18:05
I contacted Snows at Salisbury who gave me a very quick answer (too quick as it happens) that my 2013 S80 already had the necessary IHU software as part of the annual service they did on 3 June. So I went ahead to attempt the map update. I found it easy to download the new files onto a 32GB USB stick and when I inserted it into the car it was recognised and the map update process started. I was thinking maybe this is going to work! But then the old screen from the DVD system popped up asking for an activation code. When I called Snows with the problem they thought again. Normally they provide a very good service, but on this occasion they were wrong. I just knew it was too good to be true! The car is now booked in for IHU software update in July. Will take 30 minutes and £65 inc VAT.

rbcohen
Jun 24th, 2016, 09:16
Just been quoted £90 for the software to be updated in Maidstone. :err: Cheaper than new discs I suppose.

Voltan
Jun 24th, 2016, 10:03
Just been quoted £90 for the software to be updated in Maidstone. :err: Cheaper than new discs I suppose.

That's the highest price reported in this thread, I believe. Surely there should be a fixed price for this upgrade as it is sourced from Volvo. What is the service charge involved in the prices quoted I wonder?

NigelDay
Jun 24th, 2016, 10:52
That's the highest price reported in this thread, I believe. Surely there should be a fixed price for this upgrade as it is sourced from Volvo. What is the service charge involved in the prices quoted I wonder?
This is a perfect example of VUK being totally inept. They should have highlighted the new software update to ALL dealers and given a very firm indication of the time allowed for installation. I know there are small variations in the servicing costs according to region (presumably related to differentials in labour charges), but if VUK determine it takes 30 or 45 minutes of dealer time to implement a free software update then that is the chargeable time to the customer. Full stop. Instead we have the situation, not uncommon, where the customer goes into the dealer and knows more than the man behind the desk.

apersson850
Jun 24th, 2016, 11:06
As far as I've understood it the time used is 15-45 minutes, depending on the car. There are certain prerequisitives that have to be downloaded first. If you have them all, then 15 minutes. If you have none, then 45 minutes. Or something in between, depending on the status of the software in the car.

Apart from that, in most countries each dealer set their own pricing. Volvo can only suggest. Anything that's enforced is usually considered illeagal.

NigelDay
Jun 24th, 2016, 12:18
As far as I've understood it the time used is 15-45 minutes, depending on the car. There are certain prerequisitives that have to be downloaded first. If you have them all, then 15 minutes. If you have none, then 45 minutes. Or something in between, depending on the status of the software in the car.

Apart from that, in most countries each dealer set their own pricing. Volvo can only suggest. Anything that's enforced is usually considered illeagal.
Except, of course, for the fixed price servicing, so there is a (legal) ability to control dealer pricing. Even if it is strictly illegal, VUK should still be able to say, up front, that customers must not be charged more than a certain amount of time for such a routine process.

GMcL
Jun 25th, 2016, 11:51
My car is booked in for 5th July. Quoted 60€ for a walk in off the street, never been to the garage before with this car for service.

Service receptionist was aware of the update and reckons it will take about 20 minutes. He did tell me the actual update takes about 2 hours which they could do (for an additional charge) or I could do it myself.

While I'm a big advocate of mobile phone map apps its a bit daft not to update the car maps for 60€. Well done Volvo for releasing this update (it's not very often I praise Volvo, I need to go lay down now).

apersson850
Jun 25th, 2016, 18:02
Volvo in Sweden allocates a certain quota of 1/100 hours to each operation. Then it's up to the local workshop to tax these units of time.
Sometimes the operations are easy to do within the assigned period, sometimes impossible.

mordred1973
Jun 25th, 2016, 19:04
that reminds me I have a set of discs that I should have installed in the car close to a year ago, but takes so damn long to do them I couldn't be bothered! (has to be the most inconvenient method they ever invented, my old VW ones were on one disc and took about 30 mins to upload)

Electronix12
Jun 26th, 2016, 11:53
Had mine done on Friday and updated testers via a USB hard disk.

Took 2:30 to do over two journeys.

However, my Bluetooth now doesn't work so one of the units needs the software reinstalling. Check before you leave the garage!!

Clan
Jun 26th, 2016, 13:04

the standard time for software nationally is 18 minutes ,, the variation in cost is down to regional differences in Labour rates £ per Hour ... + VAT of course .

GJB
Jun 26th, 2016, 14:35
Had mine done on Friday and updated testers via a USB hard disk.

Took 2:30 to do over two journeys.

However, my Bluetooth now doesn't work so one of the units needs the software reinstalling. Check before you leave the garage!!

My Bluetooth would not work but found I had to completely reinstall now works great.

Clan
Jun 26th, 2016, 14:55
My Bluetooth would not work but found I had to completely reinstall now works great.

what did you have to reinstall to get the Bluetooth working again?

GJB
Jun 26th, 2016, 15:50
what did you have to reinstall to get the Bluetooth working again?

I reinstalled both the phones that had been on before the update also had to put back all the set radio station as it removed them from the memory also had to reset the way it chose the memory stick eg Random etc

Clan
Jun 26th, 2016, 15:52
I reinstalled both the phones that had been on before the update also had to put back all the set radio station as it removed them from the memory also had to reset the way it chose the memory stick eg Random etc

ahh i see so it returned the bluetooth to factory settings , Thanks ..

Electronix12
Jun 27th, 2016, 09:21
I'd like to point out in my situation that the Bluetooth doesn't work at all.

The version in My Car is blank and I can't pair a phone.

Everything else seems to work though so the IHU? is getting a reinstall this afternoon.

Electronix12
Jun 30th, 2016, 09:21
Software was reinstalled and the bluetooth version went from 5.00.17S to 5.00.90C IIRC.

Also the update has changed the text in the Stop/Start menu from things like 'Battery Charging' to 'Electrical System'.

So updates all over the place!

Everything seems to be working though now - happy with the maps update!

Grimble
Jun 30th, 2016, 11:17
This may be a silly question but if the car is in for a service as well, adding extra software doesn't take hardly any time at all. Software is upgraded as part of a standard service, so getting the mechanic to add extra software should take only the time to press a few buttons, unless of course he has to stand and do nothing else for the duration of the upload......!
Ok so there is a charge for the actual software, but labour????

NigelDay
Jun 30th, 2016, 11:20
The problem is that the map update takes 75 minutes. It's obviously a slow USB connection.

Electronix12
Jun 30th, 2016, 14:41
The problem is that the map update takes 75 minutes. It's obviously a slow USB connection.

They don't do the map update itself, I had to do that.

It seems that whatever software is loaded takes a long time!

wimorrison
Jun 30th, 2016, 14:50
They don't do the map update itself, I had to do that.

It seems that whatever software is loaded takes a long time!

There is no software loaded, it is simply data for the maps that the software interprets to provide the route and then display on the screen.

The sums show that it is USB2 that they are using - thankfully, if it is was USB1 then it would have been quicker to change the car every 3 years for a new map than try to do an update of the database :) - also explains why they used to use DVDs in the boot since they were easy to upgrade and data transfer was faster than USB1.

How nice it would been if they had used USB3, that dataload would have been in the region of 10 mins - problem is that USB3 came out after the car was released to the market :(

GMcL
Jun 30th, 2016, 21:22
How nice it would been if they had used USB3, that dataload would have been in the region of 10 mins - problem is that USB3 came out after the car was released to the market :(

Can we revisit this in 27 years and ask why Volvo didn't implement USB(2043) as some Volvo cars can apparently last that long.

I've got an LG Nexus 5x phone I can't charge in my car in 2016. Can't use a USB C cable in many places and plugging a converter into a USB 2 port is slooooooooowwwwwwww.

Looking forwards to the map update. I have my doubts how current the maps are but will find out next week. I expect I will be posting a picture of my car in the middle of a field next to a supermarket distribution centre next Wednesday. The DC has been there for a few years but let's see.

NigelDay
Jun 30th, 2016, 21:56
Can we revisit this in 27 years and ask why Volvo didn't implement USB(2043) as some Volvo cars can apparently last that long.

I've got an LG Nexus 5x phone I can't charge in my car in 2016. Can't use a USB C cable in many places and plugging a converter into a USB 2 port is slooooooooowwwwwwww.

Looking forwards to the map update. I have my doubts how current the maps are but will find out next week. I expect I will be posting a picture of my car in the middle of a field next to a supermarket distribution centre next Wednesday. The DC has been there for a few years but let's see.
Check out the gear manufactured by Anker.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?me=A2PGPJL0BBLHLX
I have just bought a 5x2amp charger to plug into the 12v accessory socket. Yes, you read it correctly. It claims to deliver 5 simultaneous outputs of 2 amps through USB sockets. It seems to work. iPads and iPhones charge quickly. Get some matching high quality USB-C leads and this could be the best option for your phone.

GMcL
Jun 30th, 2016, 22:22
USB C is upto 5A, my phone charger is 3A.

apersson850
Jul 1st, 2016, 17:04
This may be a silly question but if the car is in for a service as well, adding extra software doesn't take hardly any time at all. Software is upgraded as part of a standard service, so getting the mechanic to add extra software should take only the time to press a few buttons, unless of course he has to stand and do nothing else for the duration of the upload......!
Ok so there is a charge for the actual software, but labour????The software that's normally loaded in conjunction with a regular service is a "software package" put together by Volvo with two aims:

Cover things essential to update.
Download time no longer than it takes the oil to drain from the engine.

This is an additional feature, which isn't normally installed when servicing the car. Depening on the software status of the car when it's installed, the time to install it varies, as the prerequisites will vary in size. As usual, Volvo applies a standard time for this install, and charges you accordingly, regardless of the actual time required for the individual car.
This kind of installs are usually transferred to the car via Bluetooth.

Electronix12
Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:41
There is no software loaded, it is simply data for the maps that the software interprets to provide the route and then display on the screen.

The sums show that it is USB2 that they are using - thankfully, if it is was USB1 then it would have been quicker to change the car every 3 years for a new map than try to do an update of the database :) - also explains why they used to use DVDs in the boot since they were easy to upgrade and data transfer was faster than USB1.

Not true! The IHU? software has been changed to allow the system to take the maps update via USB instead of BT as well as other changes throughout the system it seems. My route is now green not yellow, text changed in my car, etc.

The actual maps data, I.e roads, speed limits, PoI was done by me using a 22GB update over 3 hours. It hadn't changed otherwise.

GJB
Jul 2nd, 2016, 11:04
Very happy with my update cost me £57 including VAT so free from now on great deal, knew when I purchased car that updates where going to cost (A lot more) than now, so very happy

wimorrison
Jul 2nd, 2016, 11:59
Not true! The IHU? software has been changed to allow the system to take the maps update via USB instead of BT as well as other changes throughout the system it seems. My route is now green not yellow, text changed in my car, etc.

The actual maps data, I.e roads, speed limits, PoI was done by me using a 22GB update over 3 hours. It hadn't changed otherwise.

The IHU software update was done by the dealer, the map update is only data and that is done by the consumer.

BTW, you are allowed to say thank you for letting you know it could be done ;)

apersson850
Jul 2nd, 2016, 17:54
Yes, but he replied because a prior post you made seemed to indicated the opposite. I read it again, and it can actually be interpreted in both ways.

Now it's all sorted out. Software update at the dealer and map data update you do yourself.

Electronix12
Jul 2nd, 2016, 23:19
Yes, but he replied because a prior post you made seemed to indicated the opposite. I read it again, and it can actually be interpreted in both ways.

Now it's all sorted out. Software update at the dealer and map data update you do yourself.

Indeed, this is how I took it to be :)

And yes thanks..!

rbcohen
Jul 4th, 2016, 13:11

I was pleasantly surprised to be told the update had taken less time than expected, and only ended up paying ~ £65 inc VAT.

2h45m later I had the latest map update - they changed the route line to green from blue (?) too! :)

TimS
Jul 5th, 2016, 22:33
Mine was done today. Map scale now zooms into 1/32 of a mile, instead of the old 1/16. Radio lost all presets and the phone its bluetooth pairings. Doors were set to self-lock, which I'd turned off, however climate fan remembered it was on its low setting, rather than the default of medium.

Other than that, fine. Software version now 1111 with maps at V30.16.02.

GMcL
Jul 6th, 2016, 06:54
Software was uploaded by the dealer yesterday, I did the map upgrade yesterday evening at home.

Software update by the dealer took about an hour, cost was almost 50/50 split 26€ for software, 24€ labour the rest 19% VAT.

Map update took 2 hours 45 minutes from USB 3 32GB stick, I know the port in the car is USB 2 plus my car was one of the original builds from October 2010. I expect newer cars have faster drives in the dash. My battery charger was working pretty hard for the 2hours 45 minutes. The end is a bit untidy I got a message "Maps uploaded. Please eject disk to complete load". I unplugged the USB, the message did not change. I plugged the USB stick back in, it kicked off the load process again concluding software updated, process complete.

The BlueTooth upgrade is quicker to pair with my phone and the SatNav appears more responsive now.

The only quirk I've noticed is when streaming music from TuneIn the first time I increase the volume from the steering wheel results in the stream being stopped. Subsequent increases in volume work as expected.
The phone is an LG Nexus 5X running standard Android 6.

Overall, a worthwhile update.

apersson850
Jul 6th, 2016, 21:53
Other than that, fine. Software version now 1111 with maps at V30.16.02.Interesting. My RTI software version bumped from 0903 to 1100. But my car is an XC70, that could be why. My maps are 30.16.04. The first number is the system code, the second the year and the third the region coverage code.

TimS
Jul 6th, 2016, 22:12
Sorry, I was wrong. It's 1100 30.16.04 now, same as yours.

andyg
Jul 9th, 2016, 11:42
Yesterday I had the IHU software update done on my 2013 S80 by Snows at Salisbury, costing £55.68. The car reports it is now using software version 1100 and map version V 30.16.04 for Europe. Then I loaded the free Volvo map update using a 32GB USB memory stick. That took about 2 hours and no PIN numbers or codes were required. As I understand it my car is now capable of loading all future free map updates released by Volvo. For as long as they keep doing that anyway! Many thanks once again to wimorrison for bringing this to the attention of the community.

jjb
Jul 15th, 2016, 14:55
I'm having mine done this week. Does anyone know if it will have the speed camera POI built in. And if I need to add the speed/other POI's, will they be the same format as before?
Thanks.

apersson850
Jul 15th, 2016, 16:45
Volvo claims they'll keep updating the maps until at least 2025. We'll see, if we still have our cars by then. As long as they do, the updates in the future will be at no additional cost. Only your time to download and install.

There are no cameras in these maps. Due to regulations changing in different countries regarding if such warnings are allowed or not, they have to be loaded separately, as POI files. They are GPX 1.1 with Volvo extensions, just as before.

GJB
Jul 15th, 2016, 17:29
Volvo claims they'll keep updating the maps until at least 2025. We'll see, if we still have our cars by then. As long as they do, the updates in the future will be at no additional cost. Only your time to download and install.

There are no cameras in these maps. Due to regulations changing in different countries regarding if such warnings are allowed or not, they have to be loaded separately, as POI files. They are GPX 1.1 with Volvo extensions, just as before.

How do you download please?

wimorrison
Jul 15th, 2016, 17:41

Got cameras in mine ...

Clan
Jul 15th, 2016, 18:10
How do you download please?

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/downloads/Pages/downloads-systems.aspx?cstype=map :thumbs_up:

NigelDay
Jul 16th, 2016, 21:16
Got cameras in mine ...
Ditto, but are we talking about the same data set ? We have the 'free upgrade' version as from new, but this thread is referring to the earlier 'paid for' updates which are now (after the £65 software fix) free in the future. I think -- unless I have misunderstood the thread.

GMcL
Jul 16th, 2016, 23:07
Can't see the point in having cameras on a factory fit SatNav unless you are going to update them several times per day for mobile vans.
You may as well run a mobile phone app which provides real time data than some out of date system.

richhodgetts
Jul 26th, 2016, 11:57
I am struggling to find a local Volvo dealer who knows anything about this!

As a result I am finding it impossible to get this upgrade sorted.

Has anyone seen any official announcement of this update I can pass on to a dealer?

Thanks

Rich

wimorrison
Jul 26th, 2016, 12:29

Has anyone seen any official announcement of this update I can pass on to a dealer?

Thanks

Rich

As you can see from the myriad of responses here there are lots of dealer who do know about it - perhaps you should send a link for this thread to your dealer? ;)

Voltan
Jul 26th, 2016, 13:08

Thanks

Rich

I took my iPad along with me to the dealer so the I could show them the official page (which is referenced elsewhere in this thread),in case they needed persuaded. Although they knew nothing about it, they found the link themselves and were able to download and instal the two upgrades required. They charged me around £29 if I remember correctly. The free maps I installed myself.

The dealers have no excuse. For convenience, here's a link: http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars/Pages/downloads-systems.aspx?cstype=map&mc=y413&my=2011&sw=10w20

Youngnick
Jul 26th, 2016, 13:55
I took my iPad along with me to the dealer so the I could show them the official page (which is referenced elsewhere in this thread),in case they needed persuaded. Although they knew nothing about it, they found the link themselves and were able to download and instal the two upgrades required. They charged me around £29 if I remember correctly. The free maps I installed myself.

The dealers have no excuse. For convenience, here's a link: http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars/Pages/downloads-systems.aspx?cstype=map&mc=y413&my=2011&sw=10w20

Visited my local dealer last Friday and although they knew of the update, a technician who had recently attended a meeting insisted that Volvo had withdrawn the option due to software issues.

richhodgetts
Jul 26th, 2016, 15:16
I have have already sent the dealer links to this thread and the link to the Volvo download page.

I have just had a call from them and they now have the instructions to do it although its sounding more complex and a lot more expensive than others on here have experienced.

At the cost the dealer has quoted so far its not worth bothering with but will keep trying.

Rich

Clan
Jul 26th, 2016, 15:18
Visited my local dealer last Friday and although they knew of the update, a technician who had recently attended a meeting insisted that Volvo had withdrawn the option due to software issues.

Yes temporarily on hold , due to some unforseen side effects . It has also been taken off the accessory web site . There is a service bulletin describing the actions to be taken apparently . more modules need to have their software updated so costs will rise until they have sorted it .

when it appears on the web site again you will know its ready to go again ...

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb

Voltan
Jul 26th, 2016, 17:03
Yes temporarily on hold , due to some unforseen side effects . It has also been taken off the accessory web site . There is a service bulletin describing the actions to be taken apparently . more modules need to have their software updated so costs will rise until they have sorted it .

I did notice that the infotainment system didn't recognise my iPod and only showed aux input when Media was selected. However after disconnecting the iPod and re-connecting it, all Media sources were available. This is with the Sensus 3. I should try it again and see if the same issue arises!

Satnav and phone interface works OK though the satnav has re-started on the odd occasion with the screen going black but continues on correctly after a brief hiatus. I'm sure it has done this even before the upgrade, though. Apart from that, I haven't noticed any other issues though I haven't tried the CD player

jjb
Jul 27th, 2016, 10:16

Do you know what the side effects are? Has anyone actually suffered any issues, apart from having to reconnect phones? Is it possible to get hold of the bulletin, which I presume should explain everything.

On another note, is there an option/possibilty that the hard drive can somehow now be used to store music?

wimorrison
Jul 27th, 2016, 10:28
There is a 10Gb partition on the drive that allows you to store music - though I find this limiting and simply use the phone connected to the USB socket.

Some people have bought a second hand iPod that they transfer all their music onto and they leave it in the car permanently, this ensures that they playlists album covers, etc appear on the screen.:)

jjb
Jul 27th, 2016, 10:37
But has this option been added as part of the upgrade? As I didn't have it before.

Electronix12
Jul 27th, 2016, 13:04
Everything has been fine with my upgrade so far as far as I can tell!

The so-called updated maps however are missing a number of things that have been around for 2+ years.

NewVolvo
Jul 27th, 2016, 22:08
Used a 128Gb USB drive with the latest maps. Updated fine. Works great. Took just over 1 hour.

Voltan
Jul 28th, 2016, 12:40
There is a 10Gb partition on the drive that allows you to store music...

I haven't noticed that as a feature offered in the menus after the software update. Perhaps the models for which the update is intended, don't have the necessary HD space. As you say, an iPod is a perfect solution.

wimorrison
Jul 28th, 2016, 13:45
I haven't noticed that as a feature offered in the menus after the software update. Perhaps the models for which the update is intended, don't have the necessary HD space. As you say, an iPod is a perfect solution.

Try this, it came up for a 2012 XC60

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/pages/article.aspx?article=4eefbb29d1d83110c0a801517e29e 5ed

Voltan
Jul 29th, 2016, 09:12
Try this, it came up for a 2012 XC60

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/pages/article.aspx?article=4eefbb29d1d83110c0a801517e29e 5ed

I've had a look using USB but there seems to be no option to see the HD Normal View referred to as a source and so no option to import to it with Sensus 3 and the IAM & HUI upgrades, in my case.

Now I wonder if my dealer installed both IAM and HUI software upgrades given the low price I paid and would the maps instal work if only the HUI upgrade, say, was installed? Would be interesting to hear from others.

wimorrison
Jul 29th, 2016, 10:17
try this one from the v40 - the instructions are a bit clearer :)

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars/Pages/owners-manual.aspx?mc=y555&my=2015&sw=14w20&article=d88d3db43fdc84edc0a801e801b7f477

Voltan
Jul 29th, 2016, 12:26
try this one from the v40 - the instructions are a bit clearer :)

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars/Pages/owners-manual.aspx?mc=y555&my=2015&sw=14w20&article=d88d3db43fdc84edc0a801e801b7f477

The HDD is not a media option unlike CD/DVD, AUX, USB in my system so it appears that the facility is not enabled. The iPod is fine as I don't really use it other than for the car.

Agouti
Jul 30th, 2016, 12:21
Also no option for me. Given how cheap the little micro USB thumb drives are now (I've seen 4GB for $2 which is still hundreds of songs) you could set up one for each music style, or his and hers etc.

jjb
Aug 2nd, 2016, 12:35
Hi, I need some urgent help please! I had the update while having a service, and unsurprisingly, they didn't seem to know what the update actually did, so they started updating the maps with a set of DVDs! When I collected the car it was apparently still loading, so they gave me the DVDs and an activation code. The sat nav was showing"update in progress" with about 2h55m. When got home, I took the disc out and tried the usb stick, which within a few seconds came up with the updating message, so I took it out, and came up with the message about been in pause mode and to re-insert media. This was Saturday and I was going on a trip to Spain, so plenty of time to do the update. But, all the way through, when I insert the usb stick, within a few seconds it says it's updating, and a few seconds later, it says it's paused, and to re-insert media. I've tried various times, it just does the same. Now the satnav just says "waiting" , with a few dots going across, and cannot do anything. I can't even add any Bluetooth devices. While thinking about it, I don't know if it just needs the DVDs back in ,or somehow has left the whole system screwed up. I have tried two different usb sticks( well, two usb readers with memory cards), but still the same. Sorry for the long story, but I would really appreciate some advice/help as I'm stuck here for four weeks without satnav or Bluetooth. Thank you.

wimorrison
Aug 2nd, 2016, 13:37
I would restart the dvd update as it appears that you may have stopped that before it was complete and then started the USB and the system now doesn't know what it is doing :(

benr7310
Aug 2nd, 2016, 14:03
Clan,

Do you know when this software will be available again following the recent issues?

I really want to get it done as my map is from 2012!

Cheers

Voltan
Aug 2nd, 2016, 14:59

The update for MY10 to MY13 is still mentioned on the mapping pages and states that the dealer can upgrade as required
http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars/pages/downloads-area.aspx?csid=iam21&cstype=map&cscount=2&mc=y413&my=2011&sw=10w20

and here:

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/downloads/Pages/downloads-systems.aspx?cstype=map

It is still possible to download the maps to your computer. This data has been there since I had mine done just after the launch of the update.

You would think that VOLVO would keep their site info up to date, if the IAM and HUI upgrade is no longer available!

algy
Aug 2nd, 2016, 16:02
I got a phone call today from Volvo regarding the upgrade They say it is still available and to expect a call from my local dealer (Cardiff Volvo)and lo and behold they rang about an hour later. I have an appointment for monday the 9th
They explained to me that different models need more than one update to the latest one.Like climbing a stairs Any way They want it for the whole day to play with it My car is an S60 2011SE Lux Nav Never been updated.

benr7310
Aug 2nd, 2016, 16:49
So I was told earlier it can be done by a really helpful guy at Chelmsford volvo, but he has since come back saying that head office have confirmed it is on hold but will keep my details so when it's back out he will let me know.

Looks like a waiting game now!

Clan
Aug 2nd, 2016, 16:58
I got a phone call today from Volvo regarding the upgrade They say it is still available and to expect a call from my local dealer (Cardiff Volvo)and lo and behold they rang about an hour later. I have an appointment for monday the 9th
They explained to me that different models need more than one update to the latest one.Like climbing a stairs Any way They want it for the whole day to play with it My car is an S60 2011SE Lux Nav Never been updated.

there is a new service bulletin describing the much longer procedure to ensure it is right , it could be considerably more expensive due to the time and other units which will have to be upgraded with software .

Voltan
Aug 2nd, 2016, 17:06
there is a new service bulletin describing the much longer procedure to ensure it is right , it could be considerably more expensive due to the time and other units which will have to be upgraded with software .

My system was already upgraded to Sensus 3 whereas maybe some are still at the previous Sensus version which might be one of the additional steps. So, for those who have had the upgrade before the suspension, I guess we will have to look out for glitches, if any, that might arise and then hopefully get the software corrected free of any additional charge.

Is this bulletin available for the likes of us to view?

jjb
Aug 4th, 2016, 11:51
I would restart the dvd update as it appears that you may have stopped that before it was complete and then started the USB and the system now doesn't know what it is doing :(

Ok, so I managed to get the DVDs which I had left in England. Unfortunately, when I inserted the first disc, it then came up with "this software is already installed, eject disc and remove". If I tried disc 2-4, it came up with "invalid disc". I did manage somehow by removing/reinserting the usb stick and disc 1, to stay on " updating software.... 2h 55m left", but as soon as I switched the engine off and tried again, I couldn't get it to stay on , and just kept showing "reinsert media" or "already installed" ,depending whether I inserted the stick or the disc first. Would disconnecting the battery for a few minutes help, or is the somehow some other way to "re-boot" the system?

Voltan
Aug 4th, 2016, 20:43
Ok, so I managed to get the DVDs which I had left in England. Unfortunately, when I inserted the first disc, it then came up with "this software is already installed, eject disc and remove". If I tried disc 2-4, it came up with "invalid disc". I did manage somehow by removing/reinserting the usb stick and disc 1, to stay on " updating software.... 2h 55m left", but as soon as I switched the engine off and tried again, I couldn't get it to stay on , and just kept showing "reinsert media" or "already installed" ,depending whether I inserted the stick or the disc first. Would disconnecting the battery for a few minutes help, or is the somehow some other way to "re-boot" the system?

Does your Navigation system work? Perhaps the installation is complete. Have you checked the map and software version? When maps are being installed it is normal for some other services to be disabled, e.g. Bluetooth.

jjb
Aug 4th, 2016, 21:14
It doesn't work . It just keeps saying "Waiting". I have tried disconnecting the battery, but still the same. I can't check anything, and cannot add any Bluetooth device.

wimorrison
Aug 4th, 2016, 21:43
It does look like it needs to be hooked up to the Volvo computers again to get the software install sorted out. Your DVDs only have data, the USB has data - only Volvo have the software and as you have tried everything an owner can do there is, somewhat regrettably, only one option left.

'Fraid 'tis back to the dealer :(

jjb
Aug 4th, 2016, 21:57
I was afraid of that. I'm in Spain for four weeks without satnav or Bluetooth, all because someone didn't know how to do something so simple.

RoosterG
Aug 5th, 2016, 10:20
I am a 'newbie' here as I bought my 2011 V60 SE Lux just two weeks ago. Delighted with it but was initially disappointed that there were no Speed Cameras showing on the SatNav Maps. So, I was even more delighted when I read this Thread and learned about the PocketGPSWorld application. I followed the upload instructions here and on the Volvo Support site and everything works as it should, I'm still experimenting with the Sound Options, but having adjusted the volume I've pretty much settled for the Chimes (Sound 2). I found the Sound 3 (the Click) too much like the doors being locked. I'm also following the Thread regarding the Volvo Software update that enables the latest maps also to be installed via the USB. I've already downloaded the latest Maps to my PC but will have to wait until my next Service to get the latest Software Update installed. I very glad that I joined this Community.

RoosterG
Aug 9th, 2016, 06:48
My system was already upgraded to Sensus 3 whereas maybe some are still at the previous Sensus version which might be one of the additional steps. So, for those who have had the upgrade before the suspension, I guess we will have to look out for glitches, if any, that might arise and then hopefully get the software corrected free of any additional charge.

Is this bulletin available for the likes of us to view?

Has anyone been able to have the latest/revised update done? Any onfo would be gratefully received.

Voltan
Aug 9th, 2016, 13:29
Has anyone been able to have the latest/revised update done? Any onfo would be gratefully received.

Several have reported having the original updates installed successfully. I had mine done in mid July at the dealer and installed the latest maps myself. I have encountered no problems. I don't understand why it was temporarily suspended as reported elsewhere in this thread. Two updates were installed, the IAM and the ICM/IHU upgrades for which I was charged a total of £27.04 inc VAT which is a substantial discount from my dealer in Edinburgh it seems. There does not seem be a standard price across all Volvo dealers.

ericy
Aug 11th, 2016, 15:33
I have a 2015 V60 that I bought last week. I had been searching the internet for information about updating my own nav system, and until I found this thread, I was getting nowhere. Even trying to figure out whether this update was already applied seemed like a futile effort - the one dealer I spoke with only knew about the DVDs, and I have already written that guy off as a bozo. Then last night I found this thread and this forum and all the answers were there.

My current nav software version is 1040, and current maps version is V30.13.02. So based upon the information in this thread, I am definitely in need of a maps refresh, and when I get a moment with nothing better to do, I am off to the dealer to get the IHU software upgrade.

One question though. When I was doing all of the searching of the internet, I had trouble finding what would seem to be the correct downloader program for the actual maps, and I found several all of which are for the correct region, but I am unclear as to which one is the correct one for my car. I found these:

Sensus_Update_MCA_North_America.exe
Sensus_Update_RTI_North_America.exe
Sensus_Update_SPA_NA_Mid_Atlantic_DC_DE_MD_VA_WV.e xe
Sensus_Update_SPA_North_America.exe

I suspect the "RTI" version is the one I want, but I don't really know what the differences are, and it seemed better to ask first before downloading many GB of useless data.

My *sense* is that MCA is for the 2015.5 and up (the ones with the little globe icon on the dash) , and "SPA" seems to be for the XC90. But I could be completely wrong.

Thanks again..

wimorrison
Aug 11th, 2016, 19:22
Why not just use the one that Volvo provides from their website? No need to do any internet searches or make any guesses?

algy
Aug 11th, 2016, 22:55
Had mine done yesterday dealer had it all day they put in three updates and they even loaded the maps (I had already downloaded) they said they wanted to load them to see if all was OK The cost of updates was £74.52

ericy
Aug 11th, 2016, 23:36
Why not just use the one that Volvo provides from their website? No need to do any internet searches or make any guesses?

Well the Volvo site is so poor it just takes me in circles. The "proper" page from the US site just tells me to buy the discs from the dealer. In fact, it takes me to a completely different site that has a different look and feel to all of the other support sites than for every other country I have looked at.

But if I start from here:

http://support.volvocars.com/forum/forum13-maps--navigation.aspx

and select "Downloads"->"Identifying System", it eventually takes me to a UK page that offers me the tool to download the maps for Europe:

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/downloads/pages/downloads-area.aspx?csid=iam21&cstype=map&cscount=8

but by manually changing the download URL, I can instead get the downloader for North America. Which is how I got the RTI version of the tool, but I shouldn't have to do something like this to get the right tool.

The Canadian site is no better - the "Identifying" page doesn't even have my system (plain Sensus - I don't have the Globe button). Same story for Mexico, Brazil and a few others that I have checked.

On the other hand if I tell a lie and tell the US site that I have a 2015.5 and not a 2015, it offers me the MCA downloading tool.

Agouti
Aug 12th, 2016, 02:49
How bizzare that the 2015 vehicles in the USA still need DVD map updates.

Regardless, it looks like you are in the same bucket as me. If the Volvo website will not offer you downloadable map updates then the update mentioned in this thread does not (yet?) apply to your region. Even if you could get it applied to your vehicle I don't know whether the USB files for 2015.5+ would work.

To my knowledge it is only available to Europeans.

ericy
Aug 12th, 2016, 18:35
To my knowledge it is only available to Europeans.

I have an appointment with a dealer and I am going to see about the IHU upgrade. I suspect the only problem they just haven't gotten the work on the website done yet. Or they were rolling it out in Europe first to make sure there were no problems before rolling it out worldwide. We will see in a few days what the dealer tells me.

The map downloaders that I have been playing with are these:

http://sensusupdate.volvocars.com/rti/map/Sensus_Update_RTI_Europe.exe
http://sensusupdate.volvocars.com/rti/map/Sensus_Update_RTI_North_America.exe
http://sensusupdate.volvocars.com/rti/map/Sensus_Update_RTI_Pacific.exe

The first one should be the same as what the folks here are using. North America is mine, of course (I ran it this morning and it downloaded gobs of data without any errors). The "Pacific" one should cover Australia. I am getting more comfortable that "RTI" is the correct downloader for my system.

But none of this does any good unless the dealer will install the upgrade.

Agouti
Aug 13th, 2016, 16:28
It may be hindered by their commercial agreement with map data providers. I don't know about the USA, but for Australia and New Zealand they outsourced the map software and updates to another company who trade under Sensus or WhereIs. This is the company that creates and sells the map updates for Volvo, Subaru, Ford, BMW et Cetera for cars made up to about 2013 or 2014.

Seeing as selling everyday navigation maps is a dying business (you can get good ones for free from half a dozen providers) I wouldn't be surprised if they were hanging on tooth and nail to the revenue from map updates.

Long story short you probably can't get it legitimately but you might be able to find a loophole.

I'll check out the Pacific file but last I looked you could get all of South East Asia free (Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia et cetera) but Aus and NZ were a special case.

ericy
Aug 19th, 2016, 17:20
The dealer said there were no IHU updates available. I don't know the extent to which they searched for it, whether updates are region-specific, or something else. I should have printed out this whole thread and given it to him.

I copied the maps data I downloaded to a memory stick and put it in the car. It recognized it as containing maps, but wanted the dreaded license code.

I guess I am going to put all of this on hold until the next time I go back to the dealer for something.

Agouti
Aug 20th, 2016, 16:16
To my knowledge there's no real hunting involved with software updates, they just plug the unit in, Press the appropriate button and it notifies what is available.

To reiterate though, for UK people when the update was made available the Volvo website also begin offering the maps as downloads for the affected models. If the website won't let you download for your year model then it the update is not available.

It's possible you could force installation of the 2015.5+ IHU into your 2015 a normal dealer wouldn't do it for you unless you were seriously good friends.

benr7310
Aug 24th, 2016, 07:46
Does anyone have any idea when this update will be released again?

Clan
Aug 24th, 2016, 18:11
Does anyone have any idea when this update will be released again?

Probably when they appear on the accessory web site again , they were there for a few weeks then taken down .

apersson850
Aug 27th, 2016, 21:02
It's gone on the Swedish accessory pages as well. I've Heard there was some problem. Maybe it didn't work in all cars, even if it does in mine.

Alecm
Sep 27th, 2016, 21:29
I have an XC70 SE Premium, MY 2011. So I don't have the integrated infotainment system that I believe is called Sensus. Instead I have the Startrek-like pop-up Satnav.

I have my car booked into my local Volvo main dealer next week for an annual service. I have been told that my satnav system can be updated to one that I can update the maps on, myself, whenever I like, for free. It needs a software update and new software. They say that the charge is £150.

Other folk with 2012 onward cars seem to get this done for £65 - £80 pounds.
Does anyone have any experience of this update on a pre-2012 model car?
Alec

Clan
Sep 27th, 2016, 21:51
I have an XC70 SE Premium, MY 2011. So I don't have the integrated infotainment system that I believe is called Sensus. Instead I have the Startrek-like pop-up Satnav.

I have my car booked into my local Volvo main dealer next week for an annual service. I have been told that my satnav system can be updated to one that I can update the maps on, myself, whenever I like, for free. It needs a software update and new software. They say that the charge is £150.

Alec

Your system will need the 4 x DVD set to update the maps ..

The free USB system is only for the 2014 and later cars with SENSUS .

wimorrison
Sep 27th, 2016, 22:01
Your system will need the 4 x DVD set to update the maps ..

The free USB system is only for the 2014 and later cars with SENSUS .

The update that I referred to in my original post is for the cars that have a hard disc based Sensus from around 2011 until 2014.5 (Wk46) and it allows them to install the maps from USB in the same way as for Sensus Connect post 2014.5. There is then no requirement for DVD updates.

If the OP has a DVD player in the boot into which he can place a DVD that is read all the time then he has a MMM2 system and discs for this can be purchased for around £25 - though not from the dealer who will charge a couple of hundred quid.

If the dealer is offering the upgrade it sounds like he has Sensus and therefore the upgrade will work - though the price is steep.

GMcL
Sep 27th, 2016, 22:23
Alec

I have a 2011 S60. The update was c.60€ split almost 50:50 between software and labour.

The arrangement in your car does not sound like Sensus with the screen coming out of the dashboard top, Sensus with navigation is a 7" screen in the dashboard next to the instrument panel.

Clan
Sep 28th, 2016, 08:30
The update that I referred to in my original post is for the cars that have a hard disc based Sensus from around 2011 until 2014.5 (Wk46) and it allows them to install the maps from USB in the same way as for Sensus Connect post 2014.5. There is then no requirement for DVD updates.

If the OP has a DVD player in the boot into which he can place a DVD that is read all the time then he has a MMM2 system and discs for this can be purchased for around £25 - though not from the dealer who will charge a couple of hundred quid.

If the dealer is offering the upgrade it sounds like he has Sensus and therefore the upgrade will work - though the price is steep.

Yes if he has the pop up screen it will be DVD .. I think sensus started in 2011 model year? (mid 2010 ) not 2014 which I typed above ..conflicting advice on Volvo web sites .

benr7310
Sep 28th, 2016, 17:09
I'm confused about whether I could get this update or not now haha

I have a v60 61plate (2012) it had nav and does have dvd player - but not the pop up one and nothing in the boot as far as I'm aware!

It has the 7" screen with nav, Bluetooth and USB port.

Any idea whether I have the right system? :S

wimorrison
Sep 28th, 2016, 17:29
Sounds like you have the original Sensus and that is what this upgrade is designed for - it means you can get free map updates :)

The previous poster with the pop up most probably has MMM2 which does not have a hard disc and reads the maps directly from a DVD player in the boot

benr7310
Sep 28th, 2016, 20:10
Awesome! Just waiting for this update to become available again now :/

Thanks

Alecm
Sep 28th, 2016, 21:08

Where can you buy new DVD discs for only £25? And don't you need an activation code? I'd rather do that than pay £150 as my local Volvo garage intend to charge.

- Maybe the Volvo garage is mistaken?
Thanks,
Alec

wimorrison
Sep 28th, 2016, 21:40
Here you go http://www.satnavdvd.co.uk/volvo-42-c.asp but you do need to work out exactly which one you have - I think it is MMM2 but I am not 100% certain

I suggest you go to the Volvo site http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-VolvoEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/Default-Start?NewLocaleID=en_GB&NewDomainName=Navteq-VolvoEurope-Site and use it to see which set you need then you can buy them from the first link

You don't need a code for this type of system as you need to leave the DVD in the reader which should be in your boot

RoosterG
Oct 4th, 2016, 08:49

Alec

Having downloaded the maps to a USB (see my previous post) I took MY11 V60 into the dealer yesterday for an interim service. I discussed the IHU update to enable the USB to be used and was firmly advised NOT to bother. Apparently previous attempts by the dealer had created unforeseen problems. I have WAZE on my iPhone which provides me with any 'missing' information that my V60 SatNav doesn't have. So as I only drive in the UK I decided that I'll leave things as they are until such time that I am advised otherwise. Pity, because it offered such promise.

Voltan
Oct 4th, 2016, 09:07
Having downloaded the maps to a USB (see my previous post) I took MY11 V60 into the dealer yesterday for an interim service. I discussed the IHU update to enable the USB to be used and was firmly advised NOT to bother. Apparently previous attempts by the dealer had created unforeseen problems. I have WAZE on my iPhone which provides me with any 'missing' information that my V60 SatNav doesn't have. So as I only drive in the UK I decided that I'll leave things as they are until such time that I am advised otherwise. Pity, because it offered such promise.

Absolutely straightforward and no subsequent problems when I had mine updated in MY11 XC60, even though my dealer didn't know about it when I enquired. I had already had my Sensus upgraded to Sensus 3 which has the Mileage bar chart screen option a couple of years ago. Perhaps problems arise if the Sensus has not already been upgraded to version 3?

GJB
Oct 4th, 2016, 11:06
Absolutely straightforward and no subsequent problems when I had mine updated in MY11 XC60, even though my dealer didn't know about it when I enquired. I had already had my Sensus upgraded to Sensus 3 which has the Mileage bar chart screen option a couple of years ago. Perhaps problems arise if the Sensus has not already been upgraded to version 3?

Had mine done no problems at all it is great would change your dealer as he dosn't sound very competent.

benr7310
Oct 4th, 2016, 16:54
Car will be booked in shortly for this update after the dealer said they have successfully loaded the update onto 2 other cars.

£55 too.. not bad!

Alecm
Oct 4th, 2016, 17:45
As my car does not have Sensus (being MY11) it sounds very problematic spending £150 ... even if it is possible. So I invested £37.50 in buying two DVD discs from the SatNavDVD dealer. Put the UK one in and it displays map but no text at all (i.e. no placenames). Waiting to hear back from them about this. As no instructions are provided I don't know if I have to do any more than just change the DVD in the drive in the boot.
So ... judgement pending on this 'solution' for now.
Alec

wimorrison
Oct 4th, 2016, 18:19
As my car does not have Sensus (being MY11) it sounds very problematic spending £150 ... even if it is possible. So I invested £37.50 in buying two DVD discs from the SatNavDVD dealer. Put the UK one in and it displays map but no text at all (i.e. no placenames). Waiting to hear back from them about this. As no instructions are provided I don't know if I have to do any more than just change the DVD in the drive in the boot.
So ... judgement pending on this 'solution' for now.
Alec

I used them in my last XC60 which was the MMM2 system and it worked perfectly - I only bought a UK DVD though :)

Just to be sure you chose the right type of disc?

Alecm
Oct 4th, 2016, 18:35
I used them in my last XC60 which was the MMM2 system and it worked perfectly - I only bought a UK DVD though :)

Just to be sure you chose the right type of disc?

Apparently. They asked me to send a photo of the DVD screen. They confirmed I needed to order the MMM2 discs.

benr7310
Oct 5th, 2016, 16:42
They want mine for 2 days to do the update!
I'll have courtesy car but still.. 2 days for a software update?!

GJB
Oct 5th, 2016, 19:00
They want mine for 2 days to do the update!
I'll have courtesy car but still.. 2 days for a software update?!

Mine took 1 1/2hrs

wimorrison
Oct 5th, 2016, 19:03
Apparently. They asked me to send a photo of the DVD screen. They confirmed I needed to order the MMM2 discs.

Sorry, can't help you then - hope they fix it

hotjamesall
Oct 15th, 2016, 09:22
After having my 2013 V60 in for a service this week, my local dealer tells me the necessary s/w upgrade is not yet available. I've pointed them to this thread and asked them to check further.

Can anyone confirm a successful upgrade on a V60? A quick look this thread seems to indicate XC60 upgrades are possible but couldn't find any V60 reports.

Thanks.

Clan
Oct 15th, 2016, 10:57
After having my 2013 V60 in for a service this week, my local dealer tells me the necessary s/w upgrade is not yet available. I've pointed them to this thread and asked them to check further.

Can anyone confirm a successful upgrade on a V60? A quick look this thread seems to indicate XC60 upgrades are possible but couldn't find any V60 reports.

Thanks.

It is still not ready , if they attempt it someone might have to pay for a new screen .

hotjamesall
Oct 17th, 2016, 06:41
Fair enough, thanks.

Is there any indication when it will be ready?

benr7310
Oct 17th, 2016, 09:07
It is still not ready , if they attempt it someone might have to pay for a new screen .

My dealer said it's ready to go and has booked me in.. they said they had done is successfully to 2 other cars.

What's this about the screen :/

Electronix12
Oct 17th, 2016, 13:04

Thanks.

Dec 2012 V60 D5 updated back in June - no issues that I can tell, everything works...

ericy
Oct 17th, 2016, 23:10
Dec 2012 V60 D5 updated back in June - no issues that I can tell, everything works...

By any chance, do you have the part number of the update that they applied to your V60?

hotjamesall
Oct 19th, 2016, 17:35
My dealer said it's ready to go and has booked me in.. they said they had done is successfully to 2 other cars.

What's this about the screen :/

I emailed Volvo directly and they have confirmed the update for the V60 is now available. Now waiting for my dealer to respond.

GMcL
Oct 20th, 2016, 19:57
By any chance, do you have the part number of the update that they applied to your V60?

I happened to have the invoice in my hand this evening, part number 31285187 was applied to my 2011 S60 in July this year.

http://parts.volvocarsofhuntington.com/p/IAM-upgrade/67795747/31285187.html

benr7310
Oct 26th, 2016, 16:17
The software bug still exists.

The guidance volvo have given to dealerships is that sometimes it just works but the majority of the time it will fail to apply. Unfortunately mine was in the bracket of failing to apply.

Volvo are working on a fix for the bug but unfortunately they still don't know when it'll be done. I got a courtesy car for the day, didn't pay for any fuel and they didn't charge me at all.. Waterhouse volvo in chelmsford are quite nice!

Clan
Oct 26th, 2016, 19:41
The software bug still exists.

The guidance volvo have given to dealerships is that sometimes it just works but the majority of the time it will fail to apply. Unfortunately mine was in the bracket of failing to apply.

Volvo are working on a fix for the bug but unfortunately they still don't know when it'll be done. I got a courtesy car for the day, didn't pay for any fuel and they didn't charge me at all.. Waterhouse volvo in chelmsford are quite nice!

They shouldn't be even attempting it until they get the all clear . Its nothing vital after all, and will cause people lots of headaches sorting it out .

benr7310
Oct 26th, 2016, 20:41
As far as they were aware before the update they were still allowed to offer it and had applied it successfully on 2 other cars.

It was only when they called volvo head office support, or whatever it was they said, they were told it usually fails to apply but sometimes they magically just work..

I wouldn't blame the dealership but higher up the chain. It sounds like they haven't been kept in the loop at all

hotjamesall
Oct 28th, 2016, 17:40
After a conversation between my dealer and Volvo (prompted by me emailing Volvo), the relevant part number is now unblocked. My car is booked in for the upgrade on Tuesday so we shall see...

ericy
Oct 31st, 2016, 23:02
After a conversation between my dealer and Volvo (prompted by me emailing Volvo), the relevant part number is now unblocked. My car is booked in for the upgrade on Tuesday so we shall see...

Did they unblock just for you, or for everyone?

Do you know the part number that they unlocked?

benr7310
Nov 1st, 2016, 07:41
Did they unblock just for you, or for everyone?

Do you know the part number that they unlocked?

It's unblocked for everyone but there is still a bug in the system which means it can be pot luck whether it applies or not.

benr7310
Nov 3rd, 2016, 20:46

Did it work?

hotjamesall
Nov 4th, 2016, 19:00
Did it work?

Good question. They say the update went through ok and they have charged me for it.

First drive in the car since the upgrade was this evening and I can see the map version hasn't changed. The crunch will come when I try to upgrade the maps tomorrow - downloading now.

Will update here ...

ericy
Nov 4th, 2016, 20:06
Good question. They say the update went through ok and they have charged me for it.

First drive in the car since the upgrade was this evening and I can see the map version hasn't changed. The crunch will come when I try to upgrade the maps tomorrow - downloading now.

Will update here ...

On one of the info screens in "My Car", it will tell you the version number of the software installed as well as the version number of the maps installed.

I believe that once you get the update, the software version will be something like 1100 (or higher). I currently have version 1040, and that is not high enough.

By any chance, do you have the part number of the software upgrade that they installed?

hotjamesall
Nov 5th, 2016, 16:13
On one of the info screens in "My Car", it will tell you the version number of the software installed as well as the version number of the maps installed.

I believe that once you get the update, the software version will be something like 1100 (or higher). I currently have version 1040, and that is not high enough.

By any chance, do you have the part number of the software upgrade that they installed?

Thanks. Mine is now 1100 and new maps are now loading. The Part number on the invoice is V031285187.

Anthrix
Nov 9th, 2016, 14:53
I just got mine updated at Volvo Waterhouse couple hours of waiting and it's done. Paid £67. Now installing new maps. Version 1100

benr7310
Nov 9th, 2016, 17:12
I just got mine updated at Volvo Waterhouse couple hours of waiting and it's done. Paid £67. Now installing new maps. Version 1100

That's annoying, they have had to raise a case with volvo software techs for me!

Starting to get a bit annoyed as I've been waiting ages for this bloody update.

PhilA
Nov 12th, 2016, 18:14
FWIW, I took my MY2013 V60 into our local Volvo dealer on Friday & the Volvo computer effectively said "LOL, NOPE". Apparently there was a risk that installing the update would brick the car & Volvo have blacklisted a bunch of cars to prevent the update being applied.

Dealer has promised to get back to me & if they hear anything positive from Volvo about having fixed the issue. Have to wait & see...

Clan
Nov 12th, 2016, 19:30
FWIW, I took my MY2013 V60 into our local Volvo dealer on Friday & the Volvo computer effectively said "LOL, NOPE". Apparently there was a risk that installing the update would brick the car & Volvo have blacklisted a bunch of cars to prevent the update being applied.

Dealer has promised to get back to me & if they hear anything positive from Volvo about having fixed the issue. Have to wait & see...

Thats what i said about 3 weeks ago , but some are RISKING it by the look of it , unless certain cars with the problem are automatically blocked and others allowed if ok ? If not the operator doing it will have to fork out the £1000 bill for a new IHU Screen no doubt ..

PhilA
Nov 12th, 2016, 22:00
Don’t think they were willing to take that risk!

GJB
Nov 13th, 2016, 09:33
Just updated M17 no problems

Voltan
Nov 13th, 2016, 10:20
Just updated M17 no problems

It would be interesting also to hear from anyone who has attempted to install the new maps on the upgraded pre-MY14 Sensus system without problems. I've downloaded them but I am waiting for Volvo support to confirm that I can use these maps (the ones you've installed) on my upgraded MY11 system. WIMorrison believes I can and he's probably correct but nowhere do Volvo state likewise.

But the real problem people are having isn't with updating the maps but with Volvo's ability to upgrade the Sensus software on pre-MY14 models reliably, so that maps can be downloaded to a USB stick and installed from there, rather than having to buy the maps on expensive DVD.

benr7310
Nov 13th, 2016, 10:31
I got in contact with volvo head office and they have spoken with the dealer I used. They have got their software guys to call the dealership and they have raised a case too see what they can do. When I get more info I'll let you know

GJB
Nov 13th, 2016, 10:49
It would be interesting also to hear from anyone who has attempted to install the new maps on the upgraded pre-MY14 Sensus system without problems. I've downloaded them but I am waiting for Volvo support to confirm that I can use these maps (the ones you've installed) on my upgraded MY11 system. WIMorrison believes I can and he's probably correct but nowhere do Volvo state likewise.

But the real problem people are having isn't with updating the maps but with Volvo's ability to upgrade the Sensus software on pre-MY14 models reliably, so that maps can be downloaded to a USB stick and installed from there, rather than having to buy the maps on expensive DVD.

Had MY13 XC60 sensus upgraded to memory stick and had no problem downloading new maps

GMcL
Nov 13th, 2016, 10:54

The newer maps may work with the updated Sensus system from preMY14 cars. Volvo may be holding off updating the links on the website until owners of the newer system have had a chance to do the update.
What I know today is that following the links for our Sensus system takes us to the May 2016 file. The information given for the newer Nov file is a different format to that of our May file suggesting they are not the same.

Go on Voltan pull the trigger, what can possibly go wrong, other than £1000 for a new setup.

Voltan
Nov 13th, 2016, 13:50

Go on Voltan pull the trigger, what can possibly go wrong, other than £1000 for a new setup.

Tempted, but my motto has always been "Nothing ventured, Nothing lost." !

ericy
Nov 13th, 2016, 15:43
Thats what i said about 3 weeks ago , but some are RISKING it by the look of it , unless certain cars with the problem are automatically blocked and others allowed if ok ? If not the operator doing it will have to fork out the £1000 bill for a new IHU Screen no doubt ..

You would think that by now they could identify which systems are going to have trouble and then release the update to the rest of us.

benr7310
Nov 22nd, 2016, 16:48
Booked in for a second try but this time I have an email from volvo customer services confirming they would cover full cost if it goes wrong and bricks the system. Always handy!

sug7
Nov 28th, 2016, 16:24
Guys,

Recently purchased a 12 plate S60, can I check if the update has been done? - other than downloading the 21gb map and trying it?

I called Derby Volvo quoting #31285187 and they came back with £140 :O

benr7310
Nov 28th, 2016, 16:48
Check the software version in the 'my car' menu and let us know.

£140 seems a bit steep, call a few others around the area. Mine quoted £55..

sug7
Nov 28th, 2016, 17:13
Just checked;

Software Version: 0BC2
Map Version: V 30.12.02

Not sure if this means anything to you guys? - maybe 30/02/12 ?

I mentioned the prices you guys had been saying but was sure that was the cost...

ericy
Nov 29th, 2016, 03:22
Just checked;

Software Version: 0BC2
Map Version: V 30.12.02

Not sure if this means anything to you guys? - maybe 30/02/12 ?

I mentioned the prices you guys had been saying but was sure that was the cost...

You need software version 1100 or higher to do USB updates, so you do need an update from the dealer.

The map version has 3 numbers. The last two digits are the region (UK). The middle two digits are the year (2012). I am not sure what the first two digits are, but they always seem to be '30'.

sug7
Nov 29th, 2016, 08:47
Brill, Thanks for the info!

I'll call different dealers in the area as £140 seems a bit steep.

PhilA
Nov 30th, 2016, 09:05
Brill, Thanks for the info!

I'll call different dealers in the area as £140 seems a bit steep.

The job itself is "plug the car into the computer, press a few buttons and come back 45 min later" so any dealer charging you > 1/2 hr labour is taking the **** because they can be getting on with other work whilst the upgrade is underway.

benr7310
Dec 2nd, 2016, 07:43
Got mine in tomorrow so i'll keep you updated with whether it's successful or it gets bricked

ericy
Dec 2nd, 2016, 21:14
I was at the dealer today for normal service. I had them check and they again told me there were no applicable updates.

benr7310
Dec 2nd, 2016, 22:43
Which dealer was it?

benr7310
Dec 3rd, 2016, 12:14
All successfully installed Waterhouse Chelmsford £55.98

wimorrison
Dec 3rd, 2016, 13:14
excellent - can we assume that they have left you to do the map update from the download page and if that is correct when do you plan to do it?

benr7310
Dec 3rd, 2016, 13:32
They have indeed, but I said that was fine.

I can't find my 32gb stick only a 64gb so I'll have to buy one first.

0.25 labour
V31268617 ITS
V31285187 IAM upgrade

Is what's on the invoice

GMcL
Dec 3rd, 2016, 13:47
Partition it down to 32GB and remember to format it FAT32

benr7310
Dec 3rd, 2016, 13:52
In the middle of trying that now haha

benr7310
Dec 4th, 2016, 19:09
So I partitioned & formatted (fat32) my 64gb usb 3.0 memory stick does nothing when plugged in and says unreadable when you select usb on the media drop down.

I went and and bought a 32gb usb 2.0 memory stick does nothing when plugged in and says unreadable when you select usb on the media drop down.

I verified the download on both of these before they were applied to the car.

Am I missing something here?...

GMcL
Dec 4th, 2016, 19:35
Have you tried putting a music file on the 32gb stick to confirm the USB port is working?
People have reported the port failing.

wimorrison
Dec 4th, 2016, 19:42
Try sticking a couple of MP3 in the root of the USB stick and see if you can read them.

You will need to ensure you can do this then to prove you can read the stick, if you still can't then reformat as FAT32 and try again. Once you can 'see' the MP3 and play them you should be able to 'see' and read the map stuff.

I actually use 32gb or 64gb compact flash cards in a USB reader and haven't had any issues :)

This might help you get it in FAT32

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/

benr7310
Dec 4th, 2016, 20:46
Thanks for the replies.

I've reformatted the stick to fat32 (even though it was fat32 already)

I'm now sticking an mp3 on there to try and test that out.

The usb port provides power to my phone, but never used it for reading music so don't know if it actually works..

Edit:

Put 3 mp3s on there and it still showed 'connect usb'. Pulled it out and tried again and still 'connect usb'.

It still provides power via USB so something isn't right somewhere!
I'm now reformatting and trying again..

wimorrison
Dec 4th, 2016, 21:09
Let's hope you read them :), press the Media button and you should get the stick as a choice, select the track and play.

Assuming it does then simply copy the map files over to the USB - they MUST be in the root with (IIRC) 2 subfolders HDD2 and HDD3. This will mean you have your MP3, plus 4? Files and 2 directories on the stick.

Put the stick back in and select Nav - if you can, the Sensus may immediately see the maps and start the update process by telling you how long and asking to proceed.

You can break the proceeds by switching the car off as often as you want, but again IIRC only the radio works during the map and Gracenote upgrade

Voltan
Dec 4th, 2016, 23:59
Thanks for the replies.

I've reformatted the stick to fat32 (even though it was fat32 already)

I'm now sticking an mp3 on there to try and test that out.

The usb port provides power to my phone, but never used it for reading music so don't know if it actually works..

Edit:

Put 3 mp3s on there and it still showed 'connect usb'. Pulled it out and tried again and still 'connect usb'.

It still provides power via USB so something isn't right somewhere!
I'm now reformatting and trying again..

I don't know if it is an accidental omission but strangely, the Volvo Software and Downloads page of the Volvo Support site, which lists models for which the map software is intended, makes no mention of the S40 which is your model, is it not? The V40 is only mentioned as compatible from 2013.

Also, Volvo state that the Sensus upgrade should take about 40 mins whereas yours took 25 mins. Though that may be down to differences in Internet speed, perhaps only one of the two upgrade modules has been installed successfully on your system which might explain the aberrant behaviour of your system?

benr7310
Dec 5th, 2016, 08:49
Signature won't change for some reason. V60 2012.

So the usb port works with my partners phone (using SD as mass storage)

Tried reformatting again with third party software this time and nothing. Always formatting fat32.

Might try formatting it on a Mac tonight and then just give up if that doesn't work

wimorrison
Dec 5th, 2016, 10:53
Are you not able to see and read the MP3 files?

If you put the stick into the socket then double tap the media button you should get the choices shown. Select USB and then you get a track playing if you have something in the root. Spin the right hand dial and you will get the choice shown, select folders then you will see what albums you have on the stick.

If you cannot get to this stage then there is something wrong and you will need to go to the dealer to get it fixed.

I did this using a 64gb card formatted as FAT32 using Windows10 then dragged a few folders over to the card and then put it in the car to take these images.

Voltan
Dec 5th, 2016, 12:31
Signature won't change for some reason. V60 2012.

So the usb port works with my partners phone (using SD as mass storage)

Tried reformatting again with third party software this time and nothing. Always formatting fat32.

Might try formatting it on a Mac tonight and then just give up if that doesn't work

So the model's OK.

I used an external USB HDD that I formatted to FAT32 MBR-partition, on my Mac to install my updates and that worked fine. Good luck.

benr7310
Dec 5th, 2016, 14:18
Are you not able to see and read the MP3 files?

If you put the stick into the socket then double tap the media button you should get the choices shown. Select USB and then you get a track playing if you have something in the root. Spin the right hand dial and you will get the choice shown, select folders then you will see what albums you have on the stick.

If you cannot get to this stage then there is something wrong and you will need to go to the dealer to get it fixed.

I did this using a 64gb card formatted as FAT32 using Windows10 then dragged a few folders over to the card and then put it in the car to take these images.

So with my usb stick it won't get to that stage. One says 'unreadable' and the other still shows 'connect usb' when plugged in. Both formatted fat32 with no hidden partitions.

My partners phone works fine though so it has to be an issue with formatting.

Voltan
Dec 5th, 2016, 14:39
I have found some random USB sticks just aren't recognised despite being formatted correctly (like a freebee from KSC). I format them using Disk Utility in Mac OS. (10.7.5 and 10.12.1) and that has been successful but not with all USB sticks. It might be an issue with ownership permissions, I don't know.

Also, slightly off topic, I suspect that a V60 MY12, like the MY11 XC60, doesn't have the HDD option on the screen nor the Gracenote facility and cannot store music on the HDD. The Sensus upgrade for pre MY14 Volvos doesn't provide this facility - unless mine is faulty?

GMcL
Dec 5th, 2016, 14:51
The USB which the car reports as "unreadable" do you have your map download on that and if so which version ?

If it is a 2012 car put the May 2016 maps (21.3GB from memory) on the stick. I got the unreadable message when I tried the Nov 2016 17.9GB download.

benr7310
Dec 5th, 2016, 15:05
Unfortunately it was unreadable with 3 mp3s on it. But that is very good to know about the may 16 map!

Also thanks for letting me know about some usb sticks not being recognised. I'm going to take that one back tomorrow and ask the Mrs if she would let me wipe her SD card and use that..

wimorrison
Dec 5th, 2016, 17:15
Unfortunately it was unreadable with 3 mp3s on it. But that is very good to know about the may 16 map!

Also thanks for letting me know about some usb sticks not being recognised. I'm going to take that one back tomorrow and ask the Mrs if she would let me wipe her SD card and use that..

Hmmm, problems

Need to get to a known bit of media that you know and trust can be read before we can move any further. Though I have to admit I am a bit confused by the issues as 100% of everything have thrown at the USB has been readable from tiny little sticks up to 30GB drives, and that was the same in the last XC60- not that that helps you :(

I am sure that once you find a stick or card that can be read consistently you will find that the maps will also load correctly.

benr7310
Dec 5th, 2016, 18:36
Hmmm, problems

I couldn't have summed it up better myself haha!

I've asked the Mrs very nicely and she's going to let me swap cards so I should be able to let you know tomorrow!

Appreciate the help all.

PhilipXC90
Dec 5th, 2016, 21:20
My 2014 V70 went into Volvo dealer today for the Sensus update only to find out the whole unit doesn't work now seems to have been a bug in the software or something?! Car going back in tomorrow to see if Volvo in Sweden can do a remote fix and upgrade otherwise it's a new unit.

Unit doesn't switch on so no satnav and Bluetooth, righthand side of steering wheel controls not lighting up and clock on dash not displaying. Heater controls still work.

benr7310
Dec 5th, 2016, 21:42
With the sensus update there is a bug in the system meaning that it can potentially 'brick the system' rendering the infotainment system completely useless. I've heard that this means the entire system needs to be replaced.. but there must be another way. Hopefully they sort it for you!

ericy
Dec 6th, 2016, 13:58
I was at the dealer today for normal service. I had them check and they again told me there were no applicable updates.

There seems to be some movement for markets outside of Europe. For North America, there are now instructions and a map downloader:

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9701/related/1

When I first encountered the page last night, the V60 wasn't listed. I sent a query to Volvo, and within an hour they had responded, told me the V60 was also eligible, and the website was updated.

Now my only obstacle is the dealer. Last Friday they told me no updates were available. So I need to take a printout of that page back to them and have them figure out why it is that the system isn't offering the appropriate upgrade.

benr7310
Dec 6th, 2016, 20:16
So, I tried 2 different laptops running Windows 7 and windows 8. Formatted using Windows own and 3rd party and nothing. I tried quick format, and not so quick format. With 2 usb cards and 2 sd cards.

Nothing.

Format all 4 in a mac and they all work. 2x 32gb and 2x 64gb.

wimorrison
Dec 6th, 2016, 20:20
A most unusual solution that flies against the norm but that matters not as you now have some working sticks :)

Just need to copy the maps over to the stick and take it from there

Keep us up to date on how it goes

Voltan
Dec 6th, 2016, 20:24
So, I tried 2 different laptops running Windows 7 and windows 8. Formatted using Windows own and 3rd party and nothing. I tried quick format, and not so quick format. With 2 usb cards and 2 sd cards.

Nothing.

Format all 4 in a mac and they all work. 2x 32gb and 2x 64gb.

Weird! Maybe that's why some of my USB devices aren't recognised if they were pre-formatted by some quirky Windows OS utility.

Now you're set to go, the maps should install with no problems, if you haven't already done so.

benr7310
Dec 7th, 2016, 08:00
It's gone unreadable with the download file -despite being verified & downloaded direct to stick. Odd!

Looks like I'm making slow progress with this one!
I'll try the may maps as mine is a my12 car

wimorrison
Dec 7th, 2016, 09:32
dont download direct onto the stick - save it in a folder on your machine and then copy the contents of the folder into the root of the known good USB stick.

benr7310
Dec 7th, 2016, 09:55
I'll try downloading it to the magical mac tonight and copy it across.

I did verify the download before plugging in and it looked fine, but must be some issues with it somewhere.

Voltan
Dec 7th, 2016, 10:04
It's gone unreadable with the download file -despite being verified & downloaded direct to stick. Odd!

Looks like I'm making slow progress with this one!
I'll try the may maps as mine is a my12 car

The May maps are the only downloadable maps which will work with the Sensus upgrade for pre MY14 cars. You can download them directly to a USB stick. I downloaded mine directly to an external 1TB USB drive. Don't download the November maps. The November maps are only intended for Sensus Navigation MY14 on. That's why your maps are unreadable. The Sensus Upgrade does not make it the same as Sensus Navigation. For example. you will not have access to the HDD for music nor the Gracenote facility nor a map of Iceland.

benr7310
Dec 7th, 2016, 11:19
The May maps are the only downloadable maps which will work with the Sensus upgrade for pre MY14 cars. You can download them directly to a USB stick. I downloaded mine directly to an external 1TB USB drive. Don't download the November maps. The November maps are only intended for Sensus Navigation MY14 on. That's why your maps are unreadable. The Sensus Upgrade does not make it the same as Sensus Navigation. For example. you will not have access to the HDD for music nor the Gracenote facility nor a map of Iceland.

Thanks for the info! I'll download the may maps tonight

PhilipXC90
Dec 7th, 2016, 11:56
My 2014 V70 went into Volvo dealer today for the Sensus update only to find out the whole unit doesn't work now seems to have been a bug in the software or something?! Car going back in tomorrow to see if Volvo in Sweden can do a remote fix and upgrade otherwise it's a new unit.

Unit doesn't switch on so no satnav and Bluetooth, righthand side of steering wheel controls not lighting up and clock on dash not displaying. Heater controls still work.

Bug is fixed new update now working :thumbs_up:

I was hoping they included speed cameras in the update but not there and improved the colours.