PDA

View Full Version : General: - V50 S40 Recall

Bob
Oct 8th, 2006, 19:56
A recall of the V50 and S40 range MY2004 on has appeared in the USA, though I have not seen it yet in the UK. This affects the handbrake not holding the car - 'poor tensioning'.

If you are unsure about the efficiency of your handbrake then contact your Volvo dealer.

Bob

Marmoset
Oct 9th, 2006, 11:39
It's been issued over here as well - had mine done a few months back, the dealer wrote to me to arrange the mods.

bircham
Oct 21st, 2006, 09:26
My wife's V50 was recalled a few months ago as well.

mark2jag
Nov 30th, 2006, 15:26
Recall for Handbrake, err sorry dont think so.!! What they actually is do is put a sticker in your handbook and give you a little booklet, Thats all that Kings Winchester did for my S40 1.6 SE (Diesel). Were they supposed to do more than that??? (they treat their customers like sh*t anyway, so theres no surprise there) This is not being nasty but is a statement of FACT, , as can be judged from previous articles concerning shoddy treatment of myself ,so please dont ban this article,lol.:speechless-smiley-2 :Banane59:

mnicholl
Nov 30th, 2006, 23:21
I was given this booklet with regards to the handbrake failure in June (I think it was), but I would like to know if they would have provided me the information if the car was not in getting a fault repaired.

I have contacted Volvo customer services with regards to the treatment that I have had since I purchased a new Volvo S40.

I hope they certainly give me the customer care they promised prior to signing the contract, or web pages can be designed very easily.

nicmeljones
Dec 17th, 2006, 11:24
My wife's S40 D5SE was recalled a few weeks ago and the handbrake was definitely better when it was returned by Kings of Salisbury. The handbook was also updated.

In May 2005 the handbrake slipped when the car was parked in the drive, demolishing the garage door in the process. Volvo have now refunded the £450.00 repair bill as well!

webbie
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:12
service bulletin here

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Volvo/1155625200000_1157698800000_TNN55-159/index.html

bsrT5
Jan 29th, 2007, 16:51
service bulletin here

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Volvo/1155625200000_1157698800000_TNN55-159/index.html

I own a 2006 S40T5, I vave checked and my car dosent have the numbers reported of chassis, my car is number 685162-193313. One month ago I parked the car and when I came back the car was crashed in garage door, handbrake failure I assume. The dealership never contacted me about this problem. Now I see this thread I understand. In the future where can I see volvo recalls for my car? Also where can I ask if my car is not recalled because I experienced the same problem? Thanks

T5R+
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:31
Folks - it seems some folks are having more than handbrake issues.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=28349

AllanG
Feb 21st, 2007, 08:35
Not sure if it is what you term a recall but my Volvo dealer sent me a letter this week to bring my V50 in for a field upgrade. Volvo had identified 3 possible problems with:

1. Climate control noises ( I've been having that problem)
2. Insufficient battery power to start the car
3. Spurious messages on the Information centre.

Applies not just to the V50 but a couple of other models as well but I don't have the letter with me. Sofware upgrade takes up to 1 hour I am told.

pigapumbu
Feb 21st, 2007, 12:11
Not sure if it is what you term a recall but my Volvo dealer sent me a letter this week to bring my V50 in for a field upgrade. Volvo had identified 3 possible problems with:

1. Climate control noises ( I've been having that problem)
2. Insufficient battery power to start the car
3. Spurious messages on the Information centre.

Applies not just to the V50 but a couple of other models as well but I don't have the letter with me. Sofware upgrade takes up to 1 hour I am told.

Can someone tell me if Microsoft helped Volvo develope the software that goes in our cars? This is becoming more and more like Windows software upgrade. :angry2:

Paddler Ed
Feb 21st, 2007, 12:19
With regards to loose handbrakes, I had a couple of early V50's (was going to get a run out V40 but couldn't get it so had a V50) and most of them went in to have the handbrake sorted; all of them would pull off with the handbrake on (oops) and as I was towing with some of them it wasn't particularily reassuring.

One of the reasons that this has taken a while for it to appear as a problem, and for it to be dealt with, is that most people in the UK do not leave the car in gear; in Europe that is a common practice so as a problem it occurs less often.

macklij
Apr 12th, 2007, 21:20
With regards to loose handbrakes, I had a couple of early V50's (was going to get a run out V40 but couldn't get it so had a V50) and most of them went in to have the handbrake sorted; all of them would pull off with the handbrake on (oops) and as I was towing with some of them it wasn't particularily reassuring.
I don't mean to sound heartless, but I'm almost relieved others have had handbrake problems. My last v50 (05 year) had handbrake troubles. The garage (Parkside Orpington) were useless. I took it in three times and they persistently told me there was nothing wrong - that it was me. The handbrake was pulling up 12 notches on a slope and still not reliable! It was only fixed when I threatened to take it somewhere else.

ezrah
Aug 13th, 2007, 12:09
I to had a call back on my S40 T5 2004.5 plate, it was for the handbreak and also the fuel line.

Ezrah

big_yin
Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:18
I read in a Dutch newsgroup that Volvo is going to recall 82000 Volvo S40's and V50's built between 2004 and 2006 for problems with the electronics on the fuel pump.

Haven't seen it anywhere else though but thought I better post it just in case.

ady30
Feb 3rd, 2008, 20:46
Recall for Handbrake, err sorry dont think so.!! What they actually is do is put a sticker in your handbook and give you a little booklet, Thats all that Kings Winchester did for my S40 1.6 SE (Diesel). Were they supposed to do more than that??? (they treat their customers like sh*t anyway, so theres no surprise there) This is not being nasty but is a statement of FACT, , as can be judged from previous articles concerning shoddy treatment of myself ,so please dont ban this article,lol.:speechless-smiley-2 :Banane59:

M.R.G Chippenham fitted all new parts and gave me handbook

nano
Feb 4th, 2008, 16:53
I read in a Dutch newsgroup that Volvo is going to recall 82000 Volvo S40's and V50's built between 2004 and 2006 for problems with the electronics on the fuel pump.

There are some details here. (http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/02/news/companies/bc.apfn.eu.fin.com.sweden.volvo.recall.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008020209)

mjcourtney
Feb 6th, 2008, 16:29
interesting! I had the fuel pump replaced under warranty on my 2004 S40 after that got an intermittent 'glitch'. The garage said there had been known faults with them, but as far as I know they didn't mention a recall. (mind you, as the article says, it is mainly 5 cylinder models, and mine is a 4cyl 1.8 petrol).

kirium
Jan 16th, 2009, 17:17
Hi, I have had a recall for my V50, its not listed here so I thought i would share the knowlege :)

Model: Volvo V50 2.0D R Design Sport SE

Recall: R88075/263778 - MATS

Spoke to a tech who informed its a replacement drivers floormat, the mat has been modified to stop the possibility of fouling the accelerator pedal.

giggsirish
Feb 9th, 2009, 14:04
Hi kirium,

I have a 08 S40 with the R-Design pack. The floor mat started blocking the return of both the clutch and acc some time ago so I threw it out. No recall for S40 R Design owners but its a very real problem.

Paudman
Aug 31st, 2009, 16:50

Had to replace mine last week, £160 and THAT was a second-hand unit from a scrapyard.
This was after the dealer told me it was the ignition switch and sold me one for £104.50 with fitting costs after that again, total £160. Needless to say, the switch didn't cure it so a pump was required.
I'm starting to think that NEVER again will I buy Volvo.

supguk
Jul 8th, 2010, 10:52
Whilst failure of a handbrake is inexcusable of volvo, why do none of you leave your car in gear when parked?? That way if your handbrake does fail it shouldn't go very far!!!

collangm
Aug 27th, 2010, 10:44
For those of you worried about or in the dark over what is currently classified as a recall on this, or any vehicle for that matter, visit the VOSA website. This site details ALL current recalls for ALL vehicles. Below is a link to the specific recall notices for the Volvo V50 dating from 2004 onwards;

<<http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?cboStartMonth=1&cboStartYear=1980&cboEndMonth=1&cboEndYear=2010&cboMake=VOLVO%20CAR&cboModel=V50&cboSortOrder=rec_launch_date&cboAscDesc=ASC&PageSize=10&tx=&Search=Search>>

I hope this helps...

Gary

foxhole
Oct 4th, 2010, 23:24
Anyone understand the Vosa info, my 54 s40 has a Vin beginning with YV1VS but nothing listed as a recall shows this vin though most of the vin numbers shown are numbers only no letters?
No sign of a hand brake recall there either? my MOT warned of little travel left on the handbrake , might it be affected.:stormy:

N2STY
Oct 6th, 2010, 18:04
You use the last 6 digits of your vin not the 1st
HERE IS SOME MORE VIN INFO (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=104358)

S40 Daz
Dec 31st, 2010, 11:18
Hi guys, I have just bought a 2006 S40 2.0 D sport and the hand brake was quite poor so I had to have a look at the brakes and found that all the discs and pads had been replaced (I think with poor quality parts !!!), so I was looking for the hand brake adjustment and found that its a poor set up.
Found the adjuster at the hand brake lever, lifted the back wheels and tightend the adjustment till the wheels started to bind and then backed it off till free running.
I think it all works better when the discs and pads are new and the caliper is fully retracted for better results.

gecko101
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:49
2011 C30, S40 and V50. The recall relates to potential stress cracks in the right side support member in the engine bay.

Does anyone know what this means, as in possible repairs to the vehicle. This sounds like it could be quite serious.

t5_monkey
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:28
always leave mine in gear... once you get in the habit it's easy to do.

Daim
Apr 10th, 2011, 16:55
Anybody here heard of a current/actuall recall for the 1.8 and 2.0l petrols?

My dealership informed me, that there is an issue with my radiator fan/cooler and that it needs to be checked...

I must say at the same time: I've NEVER heard it run yet!? Even when standing in a traffic jam etc.!?

Clan
Apr 10th, 2011, 17:02
Anybody here heard of a current/actuall recall for the 1.8 and 2.0l petrols?

My dealership informed me, that there is an issue with my radiator fan/cooler and that it needs to be checked...

I must say at the same time: I've NEVER heard it run yet!? Even when standing in a traffic jam etc.!?

this is a catch up recall it was issued about 3 years ago , yours may have got missed somehow so they are chasing up ones which have not yet been done .

Daim
Apr 10th, 2011, 17:08
this is a catch up recall it was issued about 3 years ago , yours may have got missed somehow so they are chasing up ones which have not yet been done .

I thought that too, but my dealer said it was a different one...!?

Ian21401
Sep 10th, 2011, 21:52
My daughter has an 07 V50 D5 automatic. No problems with the handbrake yet.(Famous last words) but, with an automatic and the selector in "park" is the transmission not locked anyway ? I've always owned manuals and was taught a very very long time ago,(I'm a bit old) to always leave the car in a gear the opposite to which it is likely to roll, i.e.pointing downhill, then leave it in reverse and if it's a really severe hill then turn the wheels so that if by some chance it still rolled away it would be against the kerb, assuming that there is a kerb of course.

v40bart
Sep 21st, 2011, 11:47
My local dealer (doves of Croydon) just invited me for a safety recall concerning a clutch master cylinder. Turns out it was outstanding on my car. It's good to call them time to time...

Pilsbury
Oct 4th, 2011, 19:38
I have just had the same recall on my car however I have been quoted 3 days to do the fix. Whats wrong with the car???? Anyone have any details?

Clan
Oct 4th, 2011, 19:41
I have just had the same recall on my car however I have been quoted 3 days to do the fix. Whats wrong with the car???? Anyone have any details?

It takes 2 hours what are they talking about ...

v40bart
Oct 5th, 2011, 09:17
The recall addresses a design fault within the clutch master cylinder, where a plastic pushrod is used and it may snap with use. The two to three hour job consists of replacing the master with an updated version that uses a metal pushrod. I need to do mine, I don't fancy loosing the clutch somewhere far from home.

Pilsbury
Oct 10th, 2011, 21:52
Picked up today by SQUIRE FURNEAUX in Leatherhead.

Been told it wont be back until Wednesday. Given me a crappy 1.6 drivE S60. Hardly a match on the D5 S40. Nevermind.

I have also flagged up some other issues with it namely drive splines, chirping suspension and a broken headlight connector that was broken by them on the service. But even that cant be 3 days work. No??

v40bart
Oct 11th, 2011, 13:50
You are being punished for causing trouble...

Volubilis
Nov 2nd, 2011, 20:35

If a Tech takes 3 days to carry out that recall, he needs a bit of training !

benr7310
Nov 23rd, 2011, 19:49
If a Tech takes 3 days to carry out that recall, he needs a bit of training !

or the sack..

stevep999
Nov 26th, 2011, 23:45
Is there any way to see if the clutch recall has been done?

Clan
Nov 27th, 2011, 08:37
Is there any way to see if the clutch recall has been done?

contact your dealer to be sure about all recalls that is what they are for , the D2 wont need one however ..

chumley
Feb 13th, 2012, 22:41
I have just had a letter from my local main volvo garage in cambridge about a recall for the c30 s40 and v50 in relation to a possible problem with the wiring harness for the washer fluid pump.

vosa ref R/2011/163

having it done tomorrow

Bob

JaseUK
Feb 15th, 2012, 15:54
I just called up my local Volvo dealer and am booked in for Friday to get the wiring modification to the washer pump done.

chumley
Feb 18th, 2012, 13:41
mine took just over an hour to do the wiring recall

Bob

GraemeW
Mar 9th, 2012, 23:34
What's this wiring mod about. I have a V50 about 12 months old but haven't heard about a recall. Is it all V50s?

Clan
Mar 10th, 2012, 09:38
What's this wiring mod about. I have a V50 about 12 months old but haven't heard about a recall. Is it all V50s?

no not all , yours is fine .... Its a cheap nasty FORD wash pump leaking water all the way up the wiring to get into the CEM .

v40bart
Mar 29th, 2012, 19:47
My VIN is within the recall range but I have not been contacted yet. Should I pester?

Clan
Mar 29th, 2012, 22:20
My VIN is within the recall range but I have not been contacted yet. Should I pester?

yes just phone your local dealer and let them look it up for you .

chrisdicko
May 2nd, 2012, 18:19
I don't mean this to sound stupid, but if I phoned/emailed my most local Volvo dealer with Reg and chassis number, should they be able to tell me if all warranty work etc has been done?

It's a 2005 car, but you never know if the previous owner didn't bother getting the fixes.

SonyVaio
May 2nd, 2012, 19:02
I don't mean this to sound stupid, but if I phoned/emailed my most local Volvo dealer with Reg and chassis number, should they be able to tell me if all warranty work etc has been done?

It's a 2005 car, but you never know if the previous owner didn't bother getting the fixes.

Yes, with the chassis number they can tell you if you have any outstanding 'Recalls' that are available for your particular car.

Recalls are however different to 'Warranty' just for clarity.

Warranty work is for things that go wrong with a vehicle within a certain period - Volvo normal warranty period being 3yrs. There are other manufacturers that offer better warranties such as Kia who give 7yr warranties on new vehicles.

Recalls are things that go wrong with the vehicle that are either safety related or due to poor manufacturing and Volvo has decided to do a recall on the part/parts affected. Recalls when issued are not time/mileage related unlike Warranty work.

:star-wars-smiley-01

chrisdicko
May 2nd, 2012, 19:12
Thanks for that.

Definitely cannot hurt then dropping them an email :)

SonyVaio
May 2nd, 2012, 22:12
Thanks for that.

Definitely cannot hurt then dropping them an email :)

It is well worth a call or an email that's for sure.

The current service deal is good too, Volvo will conduct a service as well as plug your car into the computer and if any module on the car requires a softwarre update then it will be done, then to top it off you get 1yr Volvo breakdown aassistance thrown in too.

You can also ask for you car to have a safety check done (free), this will also give you the plug into the computer and updates if required.

chrisdicko
May 3rd, 2012, 07:27
That seems a very good deal actually!

How much would it normally be to have the car plugged in to check for updates?

Thanks

chrisdicko
May 3rd, 2012, 15:49
Booked in to get the Free Safety Check, and the lady I have been in contact with also said they will plug the machine in and update anything needed for free!! Which is a bonus.

The car doesn't require any recall work either.

Thanks

Philgas
Jun 2nd, 2012, 17:44
What year v50 are being recalled thanks

Clan
Jun 2nd, 2012, 18:04

it isnt years it is a certain range of chassis numbers , only a call to your dealer can tell you if yours is affected .

SonyVaio
Jun 2nd, 2012, 18:24

Just enter details here: LINKY! (http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp)

You can find all the recalls for all V50's or indeed all cars!

craigblues
Jun 13th, 2012, 16:49
Received a letter in post today from Volvo/VOSA saying that I am getting a free clutch master cylinder fitted as there could possibly be a problem with it.

1 - I will never turn down free things.
2 - I'm impressed that they sent me a letter and found out that I own the car.
3 - Anyone else got this letter today/week?

gar074
Jun 17th, 2012, 12:58
2 - I'm impressed that they sent me a letter and found out that I own the car.

It's hardly rocket-science. They get the info from DVLC. Easy-peasy.

And they jolly well should do the work for free - another example of (Ford-sourced?) cheap components causing problems.

And yes, we got this letter a while ago. I've had more recalls on this car (08 reg V50 2.0D SE) than any other car I've owned. Am I impressed by Volvo's commitment to its customers? No - because they should have built the cars properly in the first place!

v40bart
Jun 24th, 2012, 10:53
Amen! Even my Dad's old communist era cars broke down less then my Volvo. Shocking but true...

craigblues
Jul 6th, 2012, 15:37
Well recalls done. Garage updated my software too for free. Plus I got to drive round in a new V60. :-) Good two days all round!

ps40v
Nov 4th, 2012, 12:43
Does this effect the later 2004 onwards model?
As I have not had a recall for my S40.

Wibblebum
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:04
Hi all, I'm after a bit of urgentish advice!

My car (V50 '08 plate) is due a washer bottle recall and is goig in on Monday. I'm wondering what the symptoms of the issues are, as I'm having major problems with the car and I suspect they may be related.

My 2 issues are:
My airbag warning light came on a few weeks ago with an SRS Urgent Service warning (or something similar) on the display.

A couple of weeks later and I start having problems starting the car. It was sluggish starting / turning over (although intermittently started fine), but would eventually catch and then was fine. Last weekend I broke down. The car wouldn't start at all. There was a single click on turning the ignition (solenoid?) but otherwise nothing. The breakdown guy got me started very easily by turning off all the electrics and depressing the clutch. How stupid did I look...! However he did comment on the slow turnover being sluggish, and said it could be battery or starter motor.

I took the car to my local independent garage on Tuesday (the dealer is 20 odd miles away stuck in the back end of nowhere on a trading estate with crappy transport links) who plugged it in, and suggested the battery was on the way out, so fitted a new one. I was still a little sluggish starting, however seemed better, and got me around without any problems however still wasn't right. I took it back to the garage yesterday morning, and he told me to bring it back that evening and he'd check the current over the starter motor. I did pop in but he didn't have time to see me, but the car did seemingly nearly shake itself to dealth starting up as I was leaving. However after driving home, I had to pop to the vets to pick the dog up. The car wouldn't start or turn over (at all) even after turning off all the electrics. Battery was clearly fine as all lights were blazing and no warning light. I had to go to a garage next to the vets to ask them if they could push start me (and they charged £20 for the pleasure). Even that nearly didn't work.

So basically my car is parked on a hill so I can roll start it but I've taken today off work as there aren't any hills there and I doubt the car will start!

I understand that some of the issues that may be encountered because of this recall are around the Electrics, so water affecting wiring loom and the CEM (or whatever its called?), so that may (probably will) account for the airbag light. One of the dealer mechanics suggested this might be the case, one of them tried to wriggle his way out, so I don't massively trust the dealer to tell me the truth and not try to charge me stupid amounts of money. Might the recall issues also account for the starting problems? I did read somewhere that one symptom was that cars wouldn't start, and I'm fairly sure the dealer service people said the same.

Basically, if the problems aren't likely to be recall related, I can take the car to the local garage now and get them to look at it. However I've already been charged £100 for a new battery it seems I didn't actually need.

Or I can leave it till Monday, be carless for the weekend, hope to god it starts, and get the dealer to look at it, but if its not to do with the recall, they'll charge me dealer prices.

Any help appreciated!!

markt1
Jan 26th, 2013, 10:31
Hiya wibble,
Mine went in for washer apparently water seeps back up playing havoc with electrics if recall ain't done!
Mine wouldn't start but that was the flappy thing in inlet trunk 10 minute job and also my s40 09 had a battery under warranty due to poor starting and failure to start and TBH I didn't have the best experiance with my main dealer,parts missing Engine cover yes Cover and grease on my seat the list is endless.
Saying that I like my car I was thinking of a new v40 until I had a good look around it and its not for me I'm afraid I would rather go for a s60.
Regards Mark.

Kev Gee
Mar 20th, 2013, 18:34
A recall of the V50 and S40 range MY2004 on has appeared in the USA, though I have not seen it yet in the UK. This affects the handbrake not holding the car - 'poor tensioning'.

If you are unsure about the efficiency of your handbrake then contact your Volvo dealer.

Bob

Hmmmm. Someone knocked on my door the other day & pointed to my S40 that had rolled off my drive into the road. I put this down to the fact i have a very steep drive & possibly didnt put enough tension in the handbrake.
Should i put ring Volvo?

Clan
Mar 20th, 2013, 19:59
Hmmmm. Someone knocked on my door the other day & pointed to my S40 that had rolled off my drive into the road. I put this down to the fact i have a very steep drive & possibly didnt put enough tension in the handbrake.
Should i put ring Volvo?

Have you read your handbook on the correct method of applying the parking brake ?
You actualy apply the brakes with the footbrake first, press hard , then pull up the lever to hold the car this clamps the pads harder than you could by pulling the lever alone ...

Kev Gee
Mar 20th, 2013, 21:45
Have you read your handbook on the correct method of applying the parking brake ?
You actiualy apply the brakes with the footbrake first, press hard , then pull up the lever to hold the car this clamps the pads harder than you could by pulling the lever alone ...

i havent read the book no. but i have actually started to do what youve said & correct it bites better.

s40manbaz
Apr 19th, 2013, 12:16
the latest now is drive shafts right hand on c30 v50 s40 2012 onwards

craigblues
Apr 19th, 2013, 12:40
What about 2008... Something not right with my driver side driveshaft.

s40manbaz
Apr 19th, 2013, 13:41
no sorry m8 its only the later ones . Volvo have put the recall out due to some snapping only o/s the longest one

Daim
Apr 25th, 2013, 22:11
the latest now is drive shafts right hand on c30 v50 s40 2012 onwards

Only D2s! Means, only cars built around 2010 onwards :)

gswede
Nov 6th, 2013, 13:33
My 04,5 V50 T5 died on me last october 12 months ago. No warning lights, completely dead. Not even a tick from the starter solenoid. Funny thing was that, all of a sudden it would start, then not, thought it might be sticky starter solenoid. Took it to the volvodealer who spent a week of searching. Changed the ingnition switch, no go, changed battery, no go. Checked all wiring etc. They did not check starter cause it WAS NOT the problem they claimed.
A week later they called the mrs up and told her the car was fixed and ready to be picked up.

They fixed it by bypassing the starter relay, putting a permanent from it to ground on strut tower. this worked albiet I was not impressed. Shortly there after the car took forever to warm up to normal operating temperature. Dealer changed both thermostat and ect temp sensor, twice!! Still didnt heat up. Then the power steering got screwed, worked fine when coasting at steady speed. But when giving throttle it would not respond no matter how hard i turned the wheel. Especially bad until it got to operating temp, which took forever.
Dealer changer power steering fluid, no fix. Changed the steering pump, still no fix. The car was rendered useless and I handed over my 850R to the mrs and started using public transport myself. One night I had to go for a short trip, had no choice but using the V50. After 5 miles or so, car completely shat itself, first warning light so far showed up. Checked code. Cant remember the specific code but it was for O2 stuck lean.

After this happened, cooling fan died, vacuum pump died, both O2 sensor died, maf/map/ect/fps sensor likewise.

The car got shipped to dealer. I demanded they remove the jerry rigged cable from the starter relay ground and start fresh.

They did not want to hear of it and as car was out of warranty they offered no further help.

I then started ordering parts, all the parts listed above, including new fanshroud and plugs, starter motor and all. Costly stuff.

First thing I did was to remove the little 1`black grounding cable that initially cost me 650pounds (including fault searching etc).

Then replaced all parts myself in my driveway. Car still did not start on command, still not even a tick from solenoid under no start condition. Power steering worked when car worked.
Also, when car fired up and was used. MPG was halved 11MPG max.Could newer stop until back home again, as I anticipated to be stranded wherever I chose to stop the car. Ohh the cooling fan did still not kick in.

Mailed Volvo Sweden, Norway office, Im norwegian.. also mailed Volvo US branch. No replies after 2 weeks. I went by norway branch facebook page and publicly posted my story, which is more comprehensive than this account. 1 hour later volvo called me and said they would fix the car as they had blatantly disregarded their on procedures and practises. This was early june this summer. They had the car all summer, got it back late august. More or less fixed.
They had changed the ECU, TCM, cleaned the throttlebody etc. Car is now starting on command but has intermittent power delivery issues. At least I can use my car.
Lost 11 months usage of car and to top it of I had to pay a third of the cost for the parts they installed, no labour charge. This and the cost for all the parts I`ve changed myself summizes to almost 6000pounds, including the thermostats, ECT`s, power steering pump, fluid for it twice.
Power steering I suspect to be a result of a shot maf as it works in correlation with vehicle speed, load and probably other things.

NO CODES APART FROM the O2 sensor stuck lean, throughout the ordeal.

As a sidenote I can mention other things that have gone wrong with my car. The trunk door switch, passenger side window elevetor motor, windscreen wash pump, wheel bearing before 25k miles, ac compressor and finally PCV. ohh and TCV. I have had the car flooded 3 times. 1. Ac condenser plug loose 2. Right side sun roof drain plugged 3. Left side sun roof drain plugged.
Have had the interior out of the car 3 times!!! Changed carpet once.
Now I have drilled a 3mm hole on bottom part of rear footwells so as if anything want to flood the car again, at least it drains itself.

All in all the ****tiest car I have ever owned. Smooth and nice when fine but a true nightmare when not. Needless to say I will never buy another Volvo. Let alone trust a Volvo mechanic.

Looking to part with this P.O.S as soon as possible, while it still runs.
If I can get it sold for 10k pounds I`ll be happy - crazy prices in norway. I will have taken a total loss of 86000,- eightysixthousandpounds on this car. Cost 90000,- new. Not accounting for depreciation but still...

BTW car only has 60k miles on the odometer.
I might add that car has been serviced by the book from new, by volvo dealer.

Sorry for my rant, glad I`m still breathing..

v40bart
Dec 17th, 2013, 20:38
That looks like classic CEM failure.

SonyVaio
Dec 17th, 2013, 21:07

+1

Yip I'd second that!

Once you get multiple errors over multiple systems you've got to start looking at the CEM. There is no way on earth that you'd have so many failures over so much of the car without some central failure somewhere (CEM).

Of course the bodge job certainly wouldn't help any and one of the worst things on these cars is a duff earth connections.

faffi
Feb 17th, 2014, 09:04
Only D2s! Means, only cars built around 2010 onwards :)

Has there been a recall for every drive shaft to be replaced, or is it just to inspect and replace as needed? My early D2 has not received a recall.

EDIT: Found it

Volvo S40s Affected By This Recall
There are 827 Volvo cars (across all models) affected by this recall. They were built between April 2011 and May 2012 and have VINs in the ranges:-
246534 to 266198
550114 to 565675
635615 to 651965
http://www.recalluk.com/recalls/cars/volvo-s40-driveshaft-recall-2013.aspx

gararrd
Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:54
I have a Volvo V50 D3 2012 model and just received a recall from my dealer. To quote, paragraph 3:

"We would like to advise you that Volvo's quality follow-up procedures have identified that a number of Volvo S40's and V50's (2011 to 2012) may experience a problem related to the chrome sleeves on the rear end pipes on your vehicles exhaust system. Due to an issue with the attachment process the chrome sleeve may come loose and potentially could become detached"

I have mine booked in at the local dealers

To check for all vehicle recalls www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/‎ is a good site to look at. This will give you all the information you need regarding any recalls of any model of vehicle.

Rawas
Jun 4th, 2014, 08:35
If the chassis number on S40 is the following, YV1434MS2C2579099
can somebody advise please if the VIN number is part of it?

Clan
Jun 4th, 2014, 20:09
If the chassis number on S40 is the following, YV1434MS2C2579099
can somebody advise please if the VIN number is part of it?

you have it the wrong way round ,
The 17 digit number is the VIN,
The last 6 numbers are the chassis number .

FreakensNL
Jun 6th, 2014, 13:43

Whats the classic failure?? I got changing faults, from "not starting"only staring when towed" ALL types of messages" (engine and interior :S)"no boost"engine light"immobilizer" you name it

Am thinking it's the CEM, but what is the fix? Car is worth 3 grand and new CEM is about 1500 here...
Red about a trader that fixes them for 130 pounds, but what is the "classic" problem/issue??

arisetobe
Jul 22nd, 2014, 01:41
Did you try this?

CarpyV50
Jul 22nd, 2014, 12:47
Hi all, I'm after a bit of urgentish advice!

My car (V50 '08 plate) is due a washer bottle recall and is goig in on Monday. I'm wondering what the symptoms of the issues are, as I'm having major problems with the car and I suspect they may be related.

My 2 issues are:
My airbag warning light came on a few weeks ago with an SRS Urgent Service warning (or something similar) on the display.

A couple of weeks later and I start having problems starting the car. It was sluggish starting / turning over (although intermittently started fine), but would eventually catch and then was fine. Last weekend I broke down. The car wouldn't start at all. There was a single click on turning the ignition (solenoid?) but otherwise nothing. The breakdown guy got me started very easily by turning off all the electrics and depressing the clutch. How stupid did I look...! However he did comment on the slow turnover being sluggish, and said it could be battery or starter motor.

I took the car to my local independent garage on Tuesday (the dealer is 20 odd miles away stuck in the back end of nowhere on a trading estate with crappy transport links) who plugged it in, and suggested the battery was on the way out, so fitted a new one. I was still a little sluggish starting, however seemed better, and got me around without any problems however still wasn't right. I took it back to the garage yesterday morning, and he told me to bring it back that evening and he'd check the current over the starter motor. I did pop in but he didn't have time to see me, but the car did seemingly nearly shake itself to dealth starting up as I was leaving. However after driving home, I had to pop to the vets to pick the dog up. The car wouldn't start or turn over (at all) even after turning off all the electrics. Battery was clearly fine as all lights were blazing and no warning light. I had to go to a garage next to the vets to ask them if they could push start me (and they charged £20 for the pleasure). Even that nearly didn't work.

So basically my car is parked on a hill so I can roll start it but I've taken today off work as there aren't any hills there and I doubt the car will start!

I understand that some of the issues that may be encountered because of this recall are around the Electrics, so water affecting wiring loom and the CEM (or whatever its called?), so that may (probably will) account for the airbag light. One of the dealer mechanics suggested this might be the case, one of them tried to wriggle his way out, so I don't massively trust the dealer to tell me the truth and not try to charge me stupid amounts of money. Might the recall issues also account for the starting problems? I did read somewhere that one symptom was that cars wouldn't start, and I'm fairly sure the dealer service people said the same.

Basically, if the problems aren't likely to be recall related, I can take the car to the local garage now and get them to look at it. However I've already been charged £100 for a new battery it seems I didn't actually need.

Or I can leave it till Monday, be carless for the weekend, hope to god it starts, and get the dealer to look at it, but if its not to do with the recall, they'll charge me dealer prices.

Any help appreciated!!
Did you get to the bottom of the non- starting as my V50 r-design SE auto sounds like it's going the same way. My alternator was changed under warranty then the CEM module went wrong and I had to replace as not under warranty, now problems starting.

dejc
Oct 22nd, 2015, 11:53
Any update on a D2 drive shaft recall? Longer shaft of my V50 makes banging noises when I drive off or when change gears between 1-4 gear while accelerating. Anyone with a recall came across with banging noises and behaviour?

Athamas
Dec 5th, 2015, 15:37
Any update on a D2 drive shaft recall? Longer shaft of my V50 makes banging noises when I drive off or when change gears between 1-4 gear while accelerating. Anyone with a recall came across with banging noises and behaviour?

On my V50 D2 Nov. 2010, both of drive shafts have the same "banking noises".
Everybody knows the problems about the drive shafts except Volvo.

Clan
Dec 5th, 2015, 20:38
On my V50 D2 Nov. 2010, both of drive shafts have the same "banking noises".
Everybody knows the problems about the drive shafts except Volvo.

they do know about it , as far as I know the cure was a new R/H driveshaft and a software ..

dejc
Dec 6th, 2015, 12:30
they do know about it , as far as I know the cure was a new R/H driveshaft and a software ..

That's true but not for all V50's with D2. Mine isn't included in that recall with same symptoms.

Clan
Dec 6th, 2015, 13:54
That's true but not for all V50's with D2. Mine isn't included in that recall with same symptoms.

They should report it to their tech dept though , same happened with clutch master cylinders about 4 years ago , even now it's still on going as they do not know which cars had plastic push rods and which had metal ones ... It isnt a recall by the way ..

dejc
Dec 6th, 2015, 14:44
@Clan I made a complaint about drive shaft at local Volvo shop, but they said my VIN isn't in the list of the faulty one. But they said it is on a list if I would have any issues with clutch master cilinder or front grill badge :)

rubberquackie
Dec 6th, 2015, 19:39

Bob

my 2010 c30 is at 24%.

Clan
Dec 6th, 2015, 21:19
@Clan I made a complaint about drive shaft at local Volvo shop, but they said my VIN isn't in the list of the faulty one. But they said it is on a list if I would have any issues with clutch master cilinder or front grill badge :)

They Mean clutch SLAVE cylinder in the gearbox housing .

The Master cylinder one is mandatory , ie it HAS to be done so a recall .

kgthomas
Dec 11th, 2015, 15:21
Ive just found out yesterday that my 2010 S40 is due the clutch master cylinder recall. I found this out while on the phone to check to see if my car had any DPF recalls.

The thing I am wondering is that recently my car had the clutch release bearing go which is now a hydraulic system. As part of this I discovered that the gearbox had a couple of bearings going so I ended up having to recondition the gearbox, change the clutch, release bearing and flywheel. Very expensive repair bill. What I am wondering could a potentially leaking clutch master cylinder have caused the release bearing to fail?

Just interested before I go to Volvo to see if this could have caused my problems?

Cheers Keith

Clan
Dec 11th, 2015, 16:30
Ive just found out yesterday that my 2010 S40 is due the clutch master cylinder recall. I found this out while on the phone to check to see if my car had any DPF recalls.

The thing I am wondering is that recently my car had the clutch release bearing go which is now a hydraulic system. As part of this I discovered that the gearbox had a couple of bearings going so I ended up having to recondition the gearbox, change the clutch, release bearing and flywheel. Very expensive repair bill. What I am wondering could a potentially leaking clutch master cylinder have caused the release bearing to fail?

Just interested before I go to Volvo to see if this could have caused my problems?

Cheers Keith

No not at all , the problem isn't leaking it is the plastic push rod can break under certain conditions , I haven't known any actually break yet .
( or leak ! )

kgthomas
Dec 11th, 2015, 18:30
No not at all , the problem isn't leaking it is the plastic push rod can break under certain conditions , I haven't known any actually break yet .
( or leak ! )

Ah thanks for the info. Must get the car booked in for the recall.

Cheers Keith

heyskull
Jan 14th, 2016, 07:43
How do you check if the recalls on these cars have been carried out and are required?
Also are these recalls time limited or are they enforced throughout the life of the car?

SC

Clan
Jan 14th, 2016, 19:25
How do you check if the recalls on these cars have been carried out and are required?
Also are these recalls time limited or are they enforced throughout the life of the car?

SC

you need to contact a dealer who will check for you .. but you will have been contacted by post if you have had the car a while .Recalls do not end or expire until the work is carried out even years into the future .

Legage
Jan 27th, 2016, 11:56
First post not sure if in right area !!

There is a recall for V50s to fix the problem of it speeding up when the accelerator is released, recall ref R/2010/051. (ECM upgrade)

I have this same problem but my VIN number is not in the range of the recall lists Volvo have issued.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

supermico
Mar 20th, 2017, 13:53
Recalls do not end or expire until the work is carried out even years into the future .

Are you sure? I've had the car for a year now. It's a 2011 V50 and as far as I can tell, the VIN is in the range for two recalls (clutch rod, 2011 and exhaust sleeve, 2013).

I checked with the dealer two weeks ago if there were any recalls for my car or any have been done. They said no recall service has been done but the recalls for my car have expired...

Clan
Mar 20th, 2017, 19:11
Are you sure? I've had the car for a year now. It's a 2011 V50 and as far as I can tell, the VIN is in the range for two recalls (clutch rod, 2011 and exhaust sleeve, 2013).

I checked with the dealer two weeks ago if there were any recalls for my car or any have been done. They said no recall service has been done but the recalls for my car have expired...

Recalls are safety related so do not expire , in UK anyway , it might be a Policy or Service Action which has expired

Yobbo
Jun 6th, 2017, 10:11
Gave my local dealer in Hull a stone's throw from my work place a call last night, reeled off a couple of references where my car's VIN fell in the given ranges and they quickly confirmed what had and hadn't been done.

I initially suspected that the 'Clutch pedal mechanism fail' (R39247) had been done as a plastic collar had not been properly affixed under the footwell - turns out to be true.

However the 'Fluid may leak into wiring harness which may cause fire' recall (R49221) had not been completed... So er yeah, got it booked in for tomorrow that!!

bunnerscj
Aug 3rd, 2017, 15:45
Do you have to be the original registered owner for a recall to be done.
Are dealers generally honest if you rock up asking about recall work ?

Can they tell you by the VIN which need to be done etc ?
I've read on here that recalls don't expire ?
Thanks

Clan
Aug 3rd, 2017, 21:00
Do you have to be the original registered owner for a recall to be done. no
Are dealers generally honest if you rock up asking about recall work ? Yes of course

Can they tell you by the VIN which need to be done etc ? yes exactly
I've read on here that recalls don't expire ? true
Thanks

Hope that helps:thumbs_up:

bunnerscj
Aug 3rd, 2017, 21:41
Thanks Clan 👍🏻

thedrumdoctor
Aug 4th, 2022, 14:05
I was checking my MOT online (on the government website) and a recall message was showing for my car.

It was issued on 02/08/2022 and it turns out to be a replacement clutch master-cylinder. The original ones have a plastic arm which has a tendency to snap so Volvo are doing a recall. I haven't got a clue if this job involves removing the clutch but it would be great if it meant a new one!

Clan
Aug 4th, 2022, 14:18
I was checking my MOT online (on the government website) and a recall message was showing for my car.

It was issued on 02/08/2022 and it turns out to be a replacement clutch master-cylinder. The original ones have a plastic arm which has a tendency to snap so Volvo are doing a recall. I haven't got a clue if this job involves removing the clutch but it would be great if it meant a new one!

Blimey that recall was around 2013 , they must be rounding up the cars that haven't seen a dealer for years... the master cylinder is in the car not the gearbox.

thedrumdoctor
Aug 4th, 2022, 14:48
Aha... I didn't have the car then and I think it was on its second owner by then.

So the clutch master-cylinder is part of the clutch pedal then?

Clan
Aug 4th, 2022, 14:51
Aha... I didn't have the car then and I think it was on its second owner by then.

So the clutch master-cylinder is part of the clutch pedal then?

well its a bayonet fitting on the clutch pedal bracket once you get it all out after the steering column comes out .

thedrumdoctor
Aug 4th, 2022, 15:01
After the steering-column come out :shocked:

I'm glad I'm not paying for this!