PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) General : - Firmness of the ride

upstags
Oct 11th, 2006, 08:09
I have an S40 1.8S (bought in March 06) and cannot believe how firm the ride is. I test drove a sports version which was ok and, on enquiry was told the S would be softer. Every bump I go over rattles through my body - it's a real bone-jarrer. It is so bad that my wife even commented on it and doesn't enjoy coming in the car.

Anyone have any comments/similar experiences? I have no knowledge of cars at all - can the suspension be adjusted at all?

Northview
Oct 11th, 2006, 16:43
I have the S40 2.0D SE. The ride seems very comfortable to me. My previous car was an Audi A3 Sport - now that had firm suspension! The S40 certainly doesn't have a soft and soggy ride, but in my opinion it strikes just about the right blend of softness (for comfort) and firmness (for good handling).

I'd suggest taking your car to your local dealer. Ask them to drive it and see what they think. Better yet, see if you can get a drive in another S40 to see if it's any different.

Engineer
Oct 11th, 2006, 17:07
Long shot, it could be your car may have the spring chocks still fitted. Seen these left on before where fitted for delivery.

7050man
Oct 12th, 2006, 17:44
I've an SE V50. THe ride is firm to some degree but I think that the 17" wheels and low profile tyres don't help, especially on the terrible British roads.

The S model with 16" wheels and higher tyres should give a more comfortable and quieter ride. The seats are comfortable anyway on either model.

Interesting comment about springs in last post. I'd also drive another car and make comparison. But yes, get dealer to investigate if after testing other vehicle you think there is a difference.

TheodGR
Oct 20th, 2006, 17:27
I have an S40 1.8S (bought in March 06) and cannot believe how firm the ride is. I test drove a sports version which was ok and, on enquiry was told the S would be softer. Every bump I go over rattles through my body - it's a real bone-jarrer. It is so bad that my wife even commented on it and doesn't enjoy coming in the car.

Anyone have any comments/similar experiences? I have no knowledge of cars at all - can the suspension be adjusted at all?

Did you check tyre pressure? When they come from the factory they are usually at 36 psi, you should normally have 30-31.