PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav/Phone: - Sat nav updates

steve788
Oct 10th, 2016, 17:20
Hi. New XC90 owner here (2011 model) so forgive naive questions! I know that the sat nav DVD I have inherited is out of date but I don't know how out of date. In the past I've had Merc sat nav systems (new DVD required to replace old one) and a Garmin system (updates downloaded from PC). How does the Volvo system work? I know it's DVD-based. So do I need to buy a whole new DVD? Or are there DVDs with updates only? And are these only obtainable through Volvo dealers? Thanks!

Raymondbowon
Oct 10th, 2016, 20:00
Www.satnavdvd.co.uk

Update disc for my06 was 25 quid. Works perfectly.

SwissXC90
Oct 11th, 2016, 07:36
Warning Www.satnavdvd.co.uk sells home made copies for commercial gain. His copies cost less than 20% of the original genuine article, which is available at your Volvo dealer.

This makes him a software pirate.

Be aware of the above when making your purchase decision.

I'm not telling you where to purchase, that's your own personal decision.
I'm just making sure you are properly informed.

steve788
Oct 11th, 2016, 12:55
Thanks Raymond and Swiss. I was told by a Volvo main dealer that in addition to the cost of the disc(s) for the upgrade, that the vehicle would need to go in to them to be "programmed" and that their labour rate is £126 an hour and they are not 100% sure on how long it will take(!). The vehicle's manual implies that new discs are pretty much plug-and-play (i.e. idiot-proof where I'm the idiot!). Is that your experience? (If so, what's this "reprogramming" business referred to by the dealer?). Cheers.

gmonag
Oct 11th, 2016, 13:42
Volvo dealers! Bless em...They are trying to rip you off.

Insert DVD, follow on screen instructions, job done.

pugley
Oct 11th, 2016, 13:48
The "reprogramming business" is an opportunity for the main agent to reach deep into your pocket in order to insert a self loading DVD into your sat nav disc reader.

This labour cost will be in addition to the eye watering purchase cost of the map upgrade.

All manufacturers have a similar cash cow operation.

Just want you to be properly informed!

No artist will be denied their commission during this purchase.

steve788
Oct 11th, 2016, 14:19
So I'd already gone back to them before posting my previous reply and lo and behold they've just replied (it's almost as if we're being watched heh heh!). They have apologised and told me it's just a question of loading the DVD, no reprogramming required............

SwissXC90
Oct 11th, 2016, 21:54
They have apologised and told me it's just a question of loading the DVD, no reprogramming required............

Correct. Insert DVD and follow onscreen instructions and wait. Intended by Volvo to be done by the vehicle owner.

On the 2007+ XC90s the DVD is copied to the hard drive, a process that can take up to 3 hours and requires the ignition turned on. Connect a battery charger during this period otherwise you will flatten the battery.

Oct 11th, 2016, 23:25
On the 2007+ XC90s the DVD is copied to the hard drive, a process that can take up to 3 hours and requires the ignition turned on. Connect a battery charger during this period otherwise you will flatten the battery.

It is possible to interrupt the update process, which will resume when the system is switched on again; so it is possible to carry out the update over a few days if needed.
The last time I did mine, it was done over the course of a weeks driving to and from work. There was one point where a message was displayed saying not to interrupt the process, but it was only for about 10 minutes or so.
If you are not bothered about the latest update, it is possible to get year old genuine ones from Volvo dealers at bargain prices: I bought mine from a dealer for £25 - a year out of date but a much safer bet than some dubious copied software that could corrupt the hard drive.

steve788
Oct 13th, 2016, 08:34
Local main dealer (in Reading) says he only supplies current year, so no opportunity to buy last year's at discounted price currently. I guess it might be worth a try again when the next release comes out (assuming Volvo don't recall the superseded ones?). Maybe different dealers handle this differently?

steve788
Oct 20th, 2016, 12:20
I do have one further question. It's late October. If you were me would you get the 2016 disc or would you wait for the 2017 to come out? (And indeed do you know how early in the new year a disc typically becomes available?). Thanks

Oct 20th, 2016, 23:02
The new discs come out annually; usually around about week 20 - mid May.
I bought my discs via eBay, from a main dealer in the Birmingham area: I can't remember what they were called, but I have the paperwork somewhere if you need to know. They were the previous year's version and I paid about £25: when I sold my old ones on eBay, the upgrade ended costing me virtually nothing.

Delticblade
Oct 22nd, 2016, 11:53
I have discovered over the last couple of days that a) Doncaster dealer didn't know about the lens cleaning disc, and, b) they don't carry 'old stock' of the update disc.
It looks like people in Doncaster have been paying out a fair bit if they've had an issue with their system.
I put the cleaning disc in and it has given me a working SatNav, albeit with a very old disc that now needs updating.