PDA

View Full Version : Wheels/Tyres: - XC 90 front tyre wear

ramasubr
Oct 18th, 2006, 18:27
Hi All,

I searched the previous discussions and while there seems to be some discussion on rear tyre uneven wear on the XC90, I replaced all four tyres at 18k miles (with original Continentals @ over £1,000 at the dealer) and have a problem with the front tyres.

Basically, the inside of both front tyres were completely worn (down to the steel on the right side) after 10k more miles (mileage now is 28k).

I noticed vibrations at high speed (80 mph plus) and had the car back at the dealer twice as well as having them send kwikfit out to our house once (they said that kwikfit does the tyres). Wheels were re-balanced on each occassion.

The service manager has the audacity of telling me that the tyre wear is normal and expected for an XC90. The car is used for urban driving only.

Due to safety concerns I replaced the front tyres immediately. The tyre shop said they were amazed Volvo let me drive the car with the tyres in that condition. I am disgusted with the dealer and their casual attitude. I have kept the tyres and regardless of the relative cost am seriously thinking of taking legal action against the dealer given the car was sent back on 2 or 3 occassions since the tyres were fitted and they refuse to accept any responsibility.

Would be interested in anyone else's similar experience with front tyres and whether 10k miles is "normal" tyre life for the Continentals?

Thanks

yatesspud
Oct 19th, 2006, 09:39
It's not normal and if the tracking is ok it is almost certainly down to a problem with the lower arm bushes. I would get them checked straight away or you could end up having a serious accident as your steering may fail ! I had the same problem on a different car but was fortunate to have my brother ( a ex tire fitter) with me as the steering started fail on the A12 at 70 mph ! This problem could have been caused, if not wear in your case, by the bushes coming lose possibly by hitting kerbs hard, i.e as in when parking etc. Really should have been picked up by your dealer and and especially kwik-fit ! Please let me know the outcome.

the great one
Oct 19th, 2006, 19:32
have you had the ball joints- track rod ends replaced by volvo yet as there is a campain? if so part of the campain is to track the front wheels.

ademora
Oct 31st, 2006, 20:29
If it is normal then something is wrong with my 06 xc90, I have 9.5k with no real tyre wear as yet

Old Grouse
Nov 6th, 2006, 18:32
Have now done 18,000 on an 05 plate model, very even tyre wear across full width on both fronts.

Sounds like tracking or suspension problems. If you are in, or near West Norfolk can recommend local dealer Hylton Gott for quality support.

Gurj
Nov 20th, 2006, 21:33
Done just over 10K with my XC90 from new 13 months ago.
Front tyres are down to 4mm and rears at 6mm, evenly worn.

Is it worth rotating Front <-> Back ?

I was planning to change when theres about 3mm to ensure
good water flow through the tread ?

Currently thinking about Nokian's though not sure who near
Reading, Berks do them.

Gurj

patl
Nov 25th, 2006, 13:19
Hi Folks,

Also had a problem with my XC90 at 10,000 miles. Started pulling to the left as the tracking was out (£60 to fix). Christchurch Tyre said 18,000 on the Contis would be usual (I will not get that due to eneven wear now). They didn't recommend the Nokias and the Contis would be £148 each, fitted.

Regards,
Patrick.

Diggerv70
Nov 26th, 2006, 16:26
Hi Patrick,
did they say why they didn't recommend the nokians? Thanks