PDA

View Full Version : In tank fuel pump question.

Squealey
Dec 11th, 2016, 12:00
Hi all

Just a quickie, my 2005 S60 D5, I've had the fuel pump in and out a million times but am struggling to get the pump to put any fuel through from the pick up side.

I'm just thinking logically here, but should the actual canister with the pump in have fuel in it to create a vacuum to suck the fuel from the pick up side. It's completely empty at the moment and I guess just sucking air up?

Any help as always much appreciated.

Wayne

Clan
Dec 11th, 2016, 12:58
Hi all

Just a quickie, my 2005 S60 D5, I've had the fuel pump in and out a million times but am struggling to get the pump to put any fuel through from the pick up side.

I'm just thinking logically here, but should the actual canister with the pump in have fuel in it to create a vacuum to suck the fuel from the pick up side. It's completely empty at the moment and I guess just sucking air up?

Any help as always much appreciated.

Wayne

are you saying that the pot around the pump on the right hand side is empty ?
how high is the level in the R/H tank then? If it is say half way up the outside of the pot the pot should be the same level inside due to the rubber flap valve on the bottom of the pot letting fuel in but not out , it is like a trap door . a red rubber flap .

Squealey
Dec 11th, 2016, 13:08
are you saying that the pot around the pump on the right hand side is empty ?
how high is the level in the R/H tank then? If it is say half way up the outside of the pot the pot should be the same level inside due to the rubber flap valve on the bottom of the pot letting fuel in but not out , it is like a trap door . a red rubber flap .

Hi

Yes the pot is completely empty, but there is no fuel in the right hand side of the tank where the pump sits, although the left hand side is level with the top of the sender hole. I would imagine (as my fuel gauge has never worked) that it has under ¼ tank in it, and that's the whole point of this pick up, the left side of the tank is lower?

Wayne

Clan
Dec 11th, 2016, 13:33
Hi

Yes the pot is completely empty, but there is no fuel in the right hand side of the tank where the pump sits, although the left hand side is level with the top of the sender hole. I would imagine (as my fuel gauge has never worked) that it has under ¼ tank in it, and that's the whole point of this pick up, the left side of the tank is lower?

Wayne

ahh i see , you need to pour in a gallon or so , that will fill the swirl pot , the pump will then circulate the fuel and drag over the fuel in the Left side to the Right side ..