PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) General : - Scratch sound under steering wheel

Vince Shaw
Oct 19th, 2006, 22:04
2003 S40, when making any turn more than 20 degree, a slight scratching sound comes from under the steering wheel. The sound is just like you rub on the surface of a piece of paper with hand. The sound is so slight that it is only audible when the stereo is turned off.
At first, a car serviceman made some silicon spray into the column under the wheel but it did not help. Then a Volvo serviceman said the spray certainly would not work: the silicon grease should be injected with a needle into a small tube within the steering column. He did it but it was no help either. He did not know what was wrong and said it was not worthwhile to dismantle the column for such a small sound. He told me just watch to see what will happen. If I did not notice it, it would be ok. But now every time I hear the sound, I feel worry: is this really something I can ignore?:baffled:
I searched the forum, only “clicking” sound mentioned. Has anyone had the similar problem?

Thanks in advance!

Vince

Multiplex
Nov 8th, 2006, 19:39
Hmm, the injection of grease into the upper steering gear pinion shaft seal was a job performed on classic (old shape) S40/V40s, totaly different rack on the new ones.

One thing to check, make sure the plastic surround at the bottom of the column (where it goes through the bulkhead) is on correctly and not catching the shaft.

If thats ok it could be the SRS slip ring at the top of the column just behind the steering wheel that making the noise, recommended repair = replacement.