PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) G/box : - Crunching reverse

ali.b
Oct 23rd, 2006, 16:05
After a couple of weeks of buying a new S40 1.6 i noticed that reverse gear would occassionally crash when being selected. Reported a few times to dealer said to monitor. Eventually got sick and demanded action, booked in , new clutch and slave cylinder fitted. Problem now much worse. Took back to dealer who checked 2 other cars on forecourt. Dealer technician was amazed to discover all cars crashed whilst engaging reverse. Techy tried some 1.8 models but none shared the problem. Dealers putting it down to design. Looking for other owners experiences before contacting Volvo direct.

Marmoset
Oct 23rd, 2006, 16:18
Mine did this occasionally when new. I think because the gearbox is initially quite tight it is tricky to select reverse smoothly - I've not given much thought to it for ages so I can only assume that the looser the box the better reverse enagement is.

pookie
Oct 23rd, 2006, 20:12
If you have a crunching reverse it means that the clutch has not completely disengaged the gearbox drive. You don't get a crunch in the forward gears because the synchromesh helps with the gear selection. Get the dealer to check hydraulics and if neccessary re-bleed the system.

Pookie

ali.b
Oct 23rd, 2006, 21:14
The car has just been to the dealers who replaced the clutch and slave cylinder the grating is now worse. Needed to know if anyone else has experienced the problem car has less than 4000 miles on