PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) General : - Newbie S40 T5 help

fritters
Oct 24th, 2006, 11:47
1st post....so hello.

I am currently toying with the idea of purchasing a used S40 T5 (2004ish). I currently drive a impreza (dont all shoot me) which i have had for about a year but now we are expecting a new addition to the family so i am keen to get something a bit cheaper to run.

I wasn't expecting to be looking at Volvo's as i thought they were a bit "old" but i cant help liking them. I have owned a bmw 330 so i dont want to go there again, A4's seem to be quit high milers and look a bit dated now (pre facelift) so i started looking at alternatives, Honda Accords, Mazda 6, Ford Mondeo etc but none really did it for me apart from the S40 and Saab 9-3.

Anyway back on track....Any owners of the S40 T5 care to comment on their experiences or anyone else care to offer advice.

Daily commute is currently 74 mile round trip (soon to be 10mile) although this is shared with the Punto which balances some of the scoobies mpg problems. lol. We also do regular trips (every4-6 weeks) to see the family which is a 400-500 mile round trip.

From the reports i have read the 2.5T used in the focus ST isn't achieving anywhere near the stated mpg which i imagine is down to the drivers but what should i expect out of the s40 on a long motorway cruise.

At the end of the day i need something which is more refined (which isn't going to be hard to find), something with better kit and something which has good safety features and if i can get some poke with it too then i will be happy.

I also haven't ruled out the 2.0D but it looked a bit underpowered to me.

I await your friendly response :teeth_smile:

Northview
Oct 25th, 2006, 12:16
I felt much the same about Volvos - I didn't think I'd have opted for a Volvo as until recently they've had a rather staid image. The S40 surprised me with it's sharp, clean lines and it's pretty good to drive too.

I can't comment on the T5. Mine's a 2.0D, and while it may not have the punch of a T5 (or for that matter a D5!), it's certainly not underpowered by any means!

fritters
Oct 25th, 2006, 19:41
Perhaps i was a bit quick to judge the 2.0d.

I will obviously need to have a test drive in both to make my own judgements.

What are Volvo like on extended test drives?

Bobster
Oct 25th, 2006, 19:52
Welcome from another first-poster!

Sounds like I went through pretty much the same selection process; A4's seem to be everywhere, the Saab 9-3 is a bit long in the tooth, Mazda RX8 a bit impractical, it eventually came down to the new Golf GTi or the S40 T5. Whilst the Golf was good fun, I decided it was a rip-off in comparison to the T5. £25k for an equivalent spec to my S40 and not being funny, but it's still a Golf...

Had the T5 for 18 months now, and still enjoying it. Go for an overtake from around 40mph and it's like a rocket; makes me smile every time. Still practical though, and feels solid just like a Volvo should (according to legend). Great cruiser, you'll eat the long journey up like a dream, put the cruise control on.

So, what don't I like? Spent an hour at Ikea at the weekend trying to get a desk into the boot, my back still aches and the packaging's still in their car park - The boot opening is too tight. The V50 would sort this, but whilst I drive a Volvo, I can't quite see me in an estate yet...! Also, back seats aren't spacious if you've long legs in the front. Fine for your 'addition' though. If you're after ISOfix, this wasn't standard fit so make sure you're not disappointed. Front passenger airbag switch was an option too.

MPG-wise, I get around 28 on average, rising to close to 32 on a long journey. Not fantastic, but pretty much as I expected. I could take my foot off the throttle to improve things, but that's not why you buy a T5, is it....

Overall, great car - Don't worry about going for it. I always laugh at Golf GTi's now - The Volvo's got so much more.

Cheers!

Bob

fritters
Oct 25th, 2006, 21:44
Thanks for your help and welcome! Although perhaps I'm 'too' new to be welcoming new members being a newbie myself.

My wife had a Golf tdi as a company car for a while and it was great, but you are correct about the GTi being overpriced. It appears like a very competant car but spec wise isn't great.
I had to laugh the other day, i was looking on the Audi website at the new S3 (maybe in a few years lol) and you have to opt (=pay) for cruise control on it. It was only a few hundred quid but you would expect to have that on a £27k+ car!

32mpg sounds like heaven to me at the moment, its just nice to have it confirmed by an owner because you can't always trust the manufacturers claims can you.

I was aware about the ISOfix and airbag switch. The latter probably wont be a problem but i wonder if you can retrospectively fit the ISOfix attachments - probably a question for the volvo dealer.

Just out of interest what spec is yours? S/SE/Sport etc? The SE Sport looks pretty darn good to me but seem a rare as rocking horse p**

Bobster
Oct 25th, 2006, 22:27
I'd feel bad if I let you cling to my 32mpg claim; I've only had that on trips where I empty a tank (motorways and duals all the way). Day to day (esp. your 10 mile trips), you'll be at the 28 mark.

I'm afraid I'm going to p*** you off, as its the SE Sport I have, plus Xenons and the premium stereo. I was a bit worried it would look over the top with all the skirts and stuff, but I was pleased when I got it.

Actually thinking of the spec on mine reminds me of a minor niggle - You pay £250 extra for a better stereo, and whilst it sounds fantastic, you can't attach any kind of MP3 player to it. That's not unique to the premium sound thing, I think it's a 'feature' of all the earlier S40 stereos (it's been fixed for MY07 I think).

Happy hunting.

fritters
Oct 25th, 2006, 22:43
ha ha I wasn't clinging to it. Its about what i would have expected. I'm getting 24mpg on a good cruise in mine so imagine what its like when pushed hard. An estimate of 28-32 is ok.

Typical. Well i commend you on your car then. I won't now ask what colour it is for fear of too much envy. lol.

An mp3 link would be good but it does only seem to be in the last year that manufacturers have been adding the option - often a cost option. I'm sure some of the other ones on the market will improve in time.

Thanks again for your help.

brewsta
Oct 26th, 2006, 10:00
I have a 2.0 D V50. I love it. I'm sure it doesn't explode like a T5, but it certainly has plenty of power. Blasted up a steep hill the other day. And gets over 40 MPG, 6.5 liters/100 km.

Marmoset
Oct 26th, 2006, 10:17
The torque on the 2.0D is teh same as the T5, so once on the move the diesel doesn;t feel too slow TBH. With afew rapid gearchanges I've managed to leave a few faster cars at the lights (it also helps that it's a Volvo and not everone expects it) - immature, yes - fun oh yes!!

Pretty good drive down an a road as well, not teh most talkative car I've had but it does seem to get better the harder you drive so it's a car that you either relax in or go hard in - it doesn't seem to do ambivilent IME :D

fritters
Oct 26th, 2006, 20:03
Has anyone drive both the SE and Sport. Do they differ a lot in the way they drive?

Northview
Oct 27th, 2006, 12:16
I had to laugh the other day, i was looking on the Audi website at the new S3 (maybe in a few years lol) and you have to opt (=pay) for cruise control on it. It was only a few hundred quid but you would expect to have that on a £27k+ car!

I'd have to agree with that. My previous car was an Audi A3 2.0TDI Sport - great car, but when it came to replacing it, I was very disappointed at the cost of options. Unless you opt for the standard spec (which in some respects is pretty unimpressive), you end up pushing the price up to a ridiculous degree. The Volvo doesn't hold it's value like the Audi (Audi's residuals are bomb-proof), but you seem to get more for your money.

I was able to take an S40 2.0D SE away for unaccompanied test drive without any problems. In fact it was pretty much the first thing the salesman suggested. I picked it up on a hot, sunny saturday morning in May, and I didn't return it until mid-afternoon. I got the impression they'd have been happy for me to keep it for the whole day if I'd wanted. Much better than having a salesman wittering on to you as you drive around the block!

mortyst222
Oct 28th, 2006, 22:15
Ive got the Focus ST with the fab volvo engine in there...I would have gone for the V50 but the wife wasn't overly keen.

Any way on our trip computer you have to reset the average mpg to get a true reading on a long journey and last time I was out on a good run I actually saw 45mpg but did go down to 42mpg, around town im getting around 24-27mpg.

Also ive got the ST2 spec so have has standard the xenons, sony stereo with mp3(although changed to 6cd) and aux input. I also have the vis pack which includes auto lights and wipers.

Darren

I also heard the s40/v50 is based on the focus? unsure if this is true.

fritters
Oct 30th, 2006, 22:43
last time I was out on a good run I actually saw 45mpg but did go down to 42mpg

:no: 45mpg. You should be ashamed of yourself. :)

Marmoset
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:06
The platform was developed jointly by Ford/Volvo/Mazda for use under the C30/S40/V50, Focus and Mazda 3.

mortyst222
Oct 31st, 2006, 23:42
I am ashamed Fritters, but wife and the young one was in the car so was doing the old mr magoo driving.....I was doing roughly 60/65mph.

Darren

fritters
Nov 1st, 2006, 21:08
I am ashamed Fritters, but wife and the young one was in the car so was doing the old mr magoo driving.....I was doing roughly 60/65mph.

Darren

Fair enough then. As long as you made up for it on the next solo run!

mortyst222
Nov 2nd, 2006, 15:48
Always do :teufel021: