PDA

View Full Version : D5 (2005 on) - D5 power loss issue

andycoop62
Jun 19th, 2017, 18:53
further to the multitude of posts regarding this issue, I also have this on my 2007 S80 D5 185bhp. Started suddenly last week, I have had it serviced and fuel filter changed but just does it intermittently. I have noticed that when the fault is on the "instantaneous mpg" is unrealistically high and the auto gearshift goes to hell. Had a good look over the motor today and found an electronic valve at front left of the engine with a plastic linkage which was disconnected. I reconnected it feeling delighted with myself, took it for a drive and all was great. Stopped for literally 2 minutes and restarted and all to hell again, no power and the linkage is still connected. Can anyone tell me what this valve is and if its likely to have any bearing on this problem? rapidly becoming disillusioned with Volvo even though I have owned them for over twenty five years!! There are no engine related fault codes logged either.
I was trying to upload a photo of the valve but the forum won't let me for some reason??

S60D5-185
Jun 19th, 2017, 19:54
further to the multitude of posts regarding this issue, I also have this on my 2007 S80 D5 185bhp. Started suddenly last week, I have had it serviced and fuel filter changed but just does it intermittently. I have noticed that when the fault is on the "instantaneous mpg" is unrealistically high and the auto gearshift goes to hell. Had a good look over the motor today and found an electronic valve at front left of the engine with a plastic linkage which was disconnected. I reconnected it feeling delighted with myself, took it for a drive and all was great. Stopped for literally 2 minutes and restarted and all to hell again, no power and the linkage is still connected. Can anyone tell me what this valve is and if its likely to have any bearing on this problem? rapidly becoming disillusioned with Volvo even though I have owned them for over twenty five years!! There are no engine related fault codes logged either.
I was trying to upload a photo of the valve but the forum won't let me for some reason??

That is the stepper motor and arm that operates the swirl flaps within the cylinder head.:thumbs_up:

luggsey
Jun 19th, 2017, 19:59
Sticky turbo vanes is a common fault as are intercooler/hoses splits.

andycoop62
Jun 19th, 2017, 20:27
That is the stepper motor and arm that operates the swirl flaps within the cylinder head.:thumbs_up:

What effect would that have if disconnected then ??

andycoop62
Jun 22nd, 2017, 17:45
Having now had this fault on permanently for the last three days and getting fed up being overtaken by pedal cyclists, took off the MAF sensor today and sprayed it with carb cleaner. Now running a treat again! time will tell whether its just coincidence I guess! I also noticed the gear change in the auto box had gone to pot when the fault was present, I'm guessing it takes a signal from that sensor aswell?? I priced a new MAF sensor today, £400? seriously?

andycoop62
Aug 22nd, 2017, 16:06
Needlessly to say, the problem continued so it wasn't the MAF sensor. I gave up and took it to Volvo in Perth, immediate diagnosis of air input pressure sensor (MAP sensor I think?) all fixed now and got my rear swinging arm bushes done while it was there, very reasonable prices too if anyone lives in Scotland, Strathmore in Perth, 5 stars for excellent service!!