PDA

View Full Version : AWD Transmission: - D5 or 3.2? What a problem to have

mark@mark-fuller.co.uk
Nov 12th, 2006, 20:01
I am trying to make my mind up. Has anyone driven the new 3.2 yet? What is the fuel economy really like? I have driven the V8...wow...the fuel guage went down faster than the rev counter went up!...OK 7mpg when under hard acceleration...not for me! The D5 is a very nice ride...better than the D5 Disco I have. I swapped a 850 T5 for the Disco and now feel the need to return to the fold. So if you can tell me your thoughts on the 3.2 that would be much appreciated. Thanks

Bob
Nov 13th, 2006, 18:03
I had an email from someone in the USA a few weeks ago who bought the 3.2. He was towing a light canoe and the auto box kept changing up and down, and he got a tad over 11mpg.

Bob

Rooster
Nov 13th, 2006, 21:43
I've seen a 3.2 but not yet had chance to drive one but i've driven a few of the new D5's and i think the new 185 D5 is a far better suited to the xc90 than the older 163 one,

oh isn't the new 3.2 lump a landrover engine anyway

mark@mark-fuller.co.uk
Nov 13th, 2006, 22:45
The engine is a yamaha that the new freelander will get as well as the volvo.

mark@mark-fuller.co.uk
Nov 19th, 2006, 13:15
Mind made up...D5 it is with the 3.2 only being just better than the V8 it is really no contest. The extra oomph is not worth the extra cost in fuel...so I keep telling myself! D5 pick up next week:Banane45:

lisa@rowly.f2s.com
Nov 23rd, 2006, 20:16
Did you test drive the 3.2 in the end?
I am struggling to find a test drive - none available in the whole of the NW UK!

mark@mark-fuller.co.uk
Nov 24th, 2006, 17:08
Yes I did but with a mpg just a little better than the V8, I ordered a D5. Should be driving it on Wednesday of next week at the latest. The 3.2 was very nice but the mpg would be an issue in the uk with fuel prices. In the usa the cost of fuel would make the 3.2/v8 choice difficult. Lloyd Volvo Carlisle had the 3.2 if that is any use to you.

lisa@rowly.f2s.com
Nov 24th, 2006, 17:14
Did you notice any lag or lack of power in the D5?

mark@mark-fuller.co.uk
Nov 24th, 2006, 19:38
No it goes well from a standstill...ok I did floor it on a test drive (I am not buying that one) and it did not blast away as fast as I thought but then I had done a similar start in the v8 and it was like a bat out of hell in comparison but at 5mpg for such a take off I will live with the D5. The 185 engine has no lag on take off.

TexasDave
Dec 3rd, 2006, 15:50
I've had a 3.2 here in the States for a couple of months now (exiled Brit) and I really like the engine. We are getting about 19-20 mpg (in UK terms) and that is nearly all town driving by my wife. I do give it a bit of stick when I drive it as it sounds quite lovely when working hard. This is the 2wd model though (I didn't see the point in paying extra for 4wd when it will probably never go off road - maybe a bad decision though as it does wheelspin a bit!) so the 4wd will probably have poorer consumption. The engine will also be used in upcoming Jaguars too, I have read.

One of the dealers here has a test track out back (they also sell Porsche, BMW, Jaguar...) and a former works Porsche racer took me out in a 2wd 3.2 to show me how it handled, braked etc. Amazing experience - these cars can really handle in the right hands, I was really very impressed. It can be pushed very hard before the ESP starts to help out. It was pretty scary at times - 4 wheel drift in an SUV doesn't feel that natural! After that, I didn't really feel the need to investigate the V8 - and it was a bit out of reach cost wise anyway.

lisa@rowly.f2s.com
Dec 23rd, 2006, 15:23
Thanks for your response - would you have gone for the petrol if you still had to pay UK petrol prices?
Drove the diesel and v disappointed with the power.
Drove Merc ML320 DIESEL which blew me away with staggering performance.
So still undecided - definately wont be buying volvo diesel so if I dont buy petrol model I will turn to a different manufacturer.

TexasDave
Dec 29th, 2006, 15:41
No, if I was still in the UK it is not the sort of car I would have at all. I always admired them as a great family car in the UK but it was out of my reach price wise. When we came to the States it became an option - my 3.2 cost about £22k new over here. With fuel at about 25-30p a litre, running costs are negligible.

Can I ask (without wanting to sound patronising) - are you used to driving diesel engined vehicles? Was it a manual that you drove? Its just that it is fairly well recognised that one's driving technique needs to be adapted when switching from petrol to diesel. If you drive a diesel like you drive a petrol then it will feel slower. Standing starts will feel slow, I am sure, but I would be surprised if the diesel did not feel a little quicker than the 3.2 when it gets rolling. It takes a while to learn to surf the torque wave lower down the rev range, changing up earlier etc. and not dropping into a lower gear to overtake etc. Maybe you know all this or are used to diesels - I haven't driven a D5 but I know that in smaller Volvo's it is considered to be a fairly strong unit. The Merc diesel you drove is a great engine by all accounts, so it is well worthy of consideration.