PDA

View Full Version : General: - Tow Ball Height

Colin Goode
Nov 14th, 2006, 16:41
I'm just about to take delivery of a new XC90 with a dealer fitted removable towbar, which I understand from Volvo has a height of 790mm (can anyone confirm this?). My caravan has a hitch height of 430mm +/- 30mm. Has anyone any experience of the difference in height and whether it's a problem. Or for that matter any other experiences of caravan towing with an XC90.

I hope someone can help!

CTCNetwork
Nov 14th, 2006, 16:56
Hi,

Generally speaking your caravans "A" frame should have a downward slant to the hitching point to assist aerodynamics and tow capabilities.
This height is going to vary from one caravan to another and even within a particular manafacturers different series..!

Having said that I have seen transit vans and lorries pulling caravans and there was obviously an upward slant on the "A" frame...!

Also the review that was done in Practical Caravan was generally praise worthy of the Volvo XC90 with exception of the power/performance of the then D5 engine.
Newer D5's are a better engine I believe...
So on that basis you should have no issues I think..
You have a good tow vehicle there... :)

Des. . . ;)

DCO
Nov 15th, 2006, 12:58
[QUOTE=Colin Goode;168296]I'm just about to take delivery of a new XC90 with a dealer fitted removable towbar, which I understand from Volvo has a height of 790mm (can anyone confirm this?). My caravan has a hitch height of 430mm +/- 30mm. Has anyone any experience of the difference in height and whether it's a problem. Or for that matter any other experiences of caravan towing with an XC90.QUOTE]

Hi,

I think Volvo have mislead you as to the tow hitch height. 430mm is the industry standard, and give or take a few mm, this is the height on the XC90. My 17' long, 4 wheel trailer has a 430mm hitch height, and connects on fine. Yes with two tons behind the 163bhp diesel, it could do with some more power, but it has not been a problem.

Hope this helps.

Colin Goode
Nov 15th, 2006, 15:20
Hi there

Thanks for the information. Can I assume the measurement is from your own vehicle? I thought there was something wrong about the height Volvo gave me, but on the basis its a tall car, I assumed they must be right! With only 2.6cwt and the new 185 engine, I should be OK.

Thanks

Colin Goode
Nov 15th, 2006, 17:52
Ooops........... that really should have been 26cwt caravan weight...........