PDA

View Full Version : General: - XC90 Seats

Rob O
Nov 27th, 2006, 21:01
Hi all,

New to the forum. I'm a Volvo junkie (I have no choice - my wife works for Volvo Trucks).

I recently made the switch from a beige S80 slipper & pipes mobile (sorry) to an XC90 D5 SE 185. We also have an S60 D5.

Anyway, am I the only person to notice that the XC90 seats are in no way as comfortable, or as well-made, as the S80 or V70 variants? The XC90 is still a great, great car and much more comfortable than the M5 I owned a couple of years ago. However the S80 (old and new) is the sort of car you can get in, drive to Brussels and disembark while feeling fresh as a daisy. Needless to say this minor issue is massively outweighed by the sheer utility and ingenuity of the XC90.

Wonder if anyone has tried to switch seats with an S80?

Cheers,
Rob

bircham
Dec 10th, 2006, 09:12
Hi Rob,

I have to aree with you on this one.

My father-in-law has a 2000 model S80 which has the most fantastically comfortable seats. They support me everywhere and have the perfect length of seat base for my long legs (I'm 6'2"). However, I wonder whether the seats in the 90 are just different rather than less comfortable. I have been moving between my wife's V50 and the 90 and feel that my 90 is much more comfortable due to the more upright seating position. I feel that I am more supported in the 90 and that the more armchair-like position is better for me.

I do agree though the the S80 seats are definitely different and for a normal height car are probably the most comfortable I have ever sat in.

All in all though any Volvo is more comfortable than any other car I have ever sat in. My last two cars (2000 A6 saloon and 2004 A6 avant) were ok, but the new model A6 has the most uncomfortable seats I have ever tried. I really fancied a new A6 avant but couldn't understand how Audi made their standard seats so awful. I also baulked at paying £1500.00 just to get seats that could be adjusted properly i.e raise the front edge of the seat base to support my thighs. How Audi can be so mercenary I don't know - they lost me as a customer anyway.

Rambling over,

Jon

JimBob
Dec 14th, 2006, 15:30
Yup, XC90 seats are pretty crippling, no lumbar support. As a frequent front passenger and living in the countryside I find myself hanging on for grim death most of the time whilst I slide around.

I have actually developed back pain as a result, its madness. I am due to replace my T6 this year, hopefully the latest revamp has resulted in a better seat?

JimBob

bluesnappa
Dec 14th, 2006, 16:38
Get the XC 90 sports...the seats are very good...much better than the disco.